Thread: I'm very excited

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm very excited

Look at this post from the Soul thread, many of you might know who is this:

Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I'm new here.

Has anyone found the visual NIN Easter egg the animators put in Soul?
    HE'S BACK!!!!!!! At least to let us know that we need to watch it again and with more attention to detail...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    Look at this post from the Soul thread, many of you might know who is this:

HE'S BACK!!!!!!! At least to let us know that we need to watch it again and with more attention to detail...
    I can't imagine why he doesn't surface more often.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I can't imagine why he doesn't surface more often.
    I feel high levels of sarcasm here...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    (I've moved this out of NIN Spotting)

I feel high levels of sarcasm here...
    I'm genuinely sorry about that, I usually make an effort to be more sincere in my contributions these days.

I guess what I'm getting at is - everywhere else this guy goes, he gets hounded, and that's not fun. Early on, he'd post here and no one was the wiser, he'd blend in. As people figured it out, they for the most part were respectful of that. But after a while, the worst-kept secret became more widely known, and you'd see this mob of hangers-on posting replies, tweeting screenshots, and ultimately you end up seeing "SUCK MY ENTIRE COCK" on music blogs, with links to our forum for all the outside world to jump in.

I think of it like seeing a celebrity at a restaurant. Everyone has to eat, and most of us like to go out to eat now and again (deadly/debilitating pandemic not withstanding). When you see someone famous in a restaurant, you can choose to behave as though it's someone you know nothing about and have never met, or you can eat your food (or cook the food or serve the food) like everyone else, and allow that person to have a relatively normal dining experience.

Maybe save the multiple-exclamation points and "Look here!" for social network interactions, and appreciate that by comparison, things are pretty chill here. I'm not saying you have to ignore that we occasionally get visitors from the NIN camp, because completely ignoring someone in the room is also weird behavior, but maybe just let them be another member of ETS. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    (I've moved this out of NIN Spotting)

I'm genuinely sorry about that, I usually make an effort to be more sincere in my contributions these days.

I guess what I'm getting at is - everywhere else this guy goes, he gets hounded, and that's not fun. Early on, he'd post here and no one was the wiser, he'd blend in. As people figured it out, they for the most part were respectful of that. But after a while, the worst-kept secret became more widely known, and you'd see this mob of hangers-on posting replies, tweeting screenshots, and ultimately you end up seeing "SUCK MY ENTIRE COCK" on music blogs, with links to our forum for all the outside world to jump in.

I think of it like seeing a celebrity at a restaurant. Everyone has to eat, and most of us like to go out to eat now and again (deadly/debilitating pandemic not withstanding). When you see someone famous in a restaurant, you can choose to behave as though it's someone you know nothing about and have never met, or you can eat your food (or cook the food or serve the food) like everyone else, and allow that person to have a relatively normal dining experience.

Maybe save the multiple-exclamation points and "Look here!" for social network interactions, and appreciate that by comparison, things are pretty chill here. I'm not saying you have to ignore that we occasionally get visitors from the NIN camp, because completely ignoring someone in the room is also weird behavior, but maybe just let them be another member of ETS. Just a thought.
    My bad, i got carried by the excitement. will be cooler if it happens again.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    My bad, i got carried by the excitement. will be cooler if it happens again.
    Hey, I get it. It's an exciting thing to see! And you want other people to share in your excitement! I know "my bad" is a colloquialism, but you didn't do anything bad.

Somehow, this forum has managed to outlast every other NIN fan forum, several major social networks, and a big part of that is the community we've built. I'd say "warts and all" but compared to so many other corners of the internet, I think we do okay at keeping a lot of bullshit at bay for the most part. And part of that community building involves taking active steps to avoid some of the pitfalls other social networks let go unchecked. While that means we'll never be massively popular - that's a good thing IMHO, and although sometimes admins and mods misfire in the process, I'll take that over the alternative of under-moderation.

Anyway, all this is a long-winded way of saying "It's cool"

Because it's cool. Keep it cool

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It was the first time I saw him post since I joined ETS, so I was pretty psyched to see it. I was wondering if he maybe read the thread or not.
    But I didn't freak out over it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Several years ago, I used a bathroom stall at SDCC and found myself surrounded by the actors who played Anders and Helo from BSG and said nothing, which was difficult to do because I had just gotten into BSG at the time. I once washed my hands at an airport bathroom and noticed that pro wrestler Mark Henry was using the sink next to mine to wash his face and said nothing. I once ate at Stone Brewing while Wil Wheaton and Adam from Mythbusters played bocci ball. And one time, our subject matter person in this thread commented on a FB post I made about my personal Oscar pics in '11 between the Inception score and TGWTDT score (truthfully, I think he confused me for an actual Oscar voter), but we still had a pleasant interaction that I will always remember and look on fondly.

The key is to just be normal about it and not do everything you can to highlight things into 11 territory and let the moment take place. Makes it more fun that way, trust me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey, I get it. It's an exciting thing to see! And you want other people to share in your excitement! I know "my bad" is a colloquialism, but you didn't do anything bad.

Somehow, this forum has managed to outlast every other NIN fan forum, several major social networks, and a big part of that is the community we've built. I'd say "warts and all" but compared to so many other corners of the internet, I think we do okay at keeping a lot of bullshit at bay for the most part. And part of that community building involves taking active steps to avoid some of the pitfalls other social networks let go unchecked. While that means we'll never be massively popular - that's a good thing IMHO, and although sometimes admins and mods misfire in the process, I'll take that over the alternative of under-moderation.

Anyway, all this is a long-winded way of saying "It's cool"

Because it's cool. Keep it cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, i'm new here.

Has anyone found the visual nin easter egg the animators put in soul?
    yoooooooooooo

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    So has anyone found it?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    So has anyone found it?
    The NIN spotting 2020 thread has something...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Several years ago, I used a bathroom stall at SDCC and found myself surrounded by the actors who played Anders and Helo from BSG and said nothing, which was difficult to do because I had just gotten into BSG at the time. I once washed my hands at an airport bathroom and noticed that pro wrestler Mark Henry was using the sink next to mine to wash his face and said nothing. I once ate at Stone Brewing while Wil Wheaton and Adam from Mythbusters played bocci ball. And one time, our subject matter person in this thread commented on a FB post I made about my personal Oscar pics in '11 between the Inception score and TGWTDT score (truthfully, I think he confused me for an actual Oscar voter), but we still had a pleasant interaction that I will always remember and look on fondly.

The key is to just be normal about it and not do everything you can to highlight things into 11 territory and let the moment take place. Makes it more fun that way, trust me.
    Several years ago, I wound up having a random conversation with Tony Danza in a karaoke bar. He recommended I read some self-help book of some kind, it was a best seller at the time.

I went over to the karaoke booth and sang "Tiny Dancer," but I cleverly changed all the lyrics to "Tony Danza" instead of "Tiny Dancer."
    Fortunately, Tony Danza thought this was hilarious, and a good time was had by most.