Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Trent and Atticus Like to Score - Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trent and Atticus Like to Score - Questions

i'll start a question thread here. i hope this is okay. should be similar to "nin questions" from the old ETS, i guess. this here should be a place for trent's and atticuss's scores in general.. so, here's my question: are there any sales figures regarding TSN and TGWTDT scores?? a quick google search left me without any results...
    Last edited by Beta; 01-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Do you mean worldwide, domestic...? Because they've both charted in various places, so some figures exist, in some amount

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    In Feb 2011, Indiewire had this to say about the sales of the nominated scores:
    Current sales for some song and score nominees number as follows: Hans Zimmer's Inception score (62,000), Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ The Social Network score (61,000+), Disney’s song-nominee Tangled score (74,000) and A.R. Rahman’s song-and-score nominee 127 Hours (under 7,000 units). In 2009, song/score Oscars for Rahman’s Slumdog Millionaire tracks propelled that album’s sales to 403,000 while the 2008 best song win for “Falling Slowly” from Once jumped that disc’s weekly sales up 143% in the frame following the kudo telecast.
    I don't know if those are cumulative numbers, or sales for that particular week. Billboard had these figures in October 2010:
    "The Social Network" soundtrack: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' score to the David Fincher-directed film "The Social Network" lost a lot friends this week, as it takes the third-biggest tumble on the chart, falling 89 spots to No. 109 in its sophomore week (4,000; down 82%). It's likely its significant first-week of 24,000 was powered by pre-orders and the excitement over the movie's arrival in theaters.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Topspin and nin.com sales don't get reported to Billboard, though - don't they?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    No reason that topspin sales wouldn't count as official sales afaik

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quick Googling didn't show me any figures for TGWTDT, but did show me these Billboard Charts:
    Independent Albums: Currently: 4 | Prev: 44 | Weeks On: 4 | Peak: 4
    Soundtracks: Currently: 3 | Prev: | Weeks On: 3 | Peak: 3
    Alternative Albums: Currently: 10 | Prev: | Weeks On: 3 | Peak: 10
    It's 11 on the Top Rock chart, #44 on the Billboard 200, and #15 on Tastemaker Albums.

Topspin reports their numbers to Soundscan, so direct sales are figured into these charts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thx for the research guys.

basically i wanted to find out if the strong nin-fanbase helps selling significantly more units than e.g. other popular soundtracks (like Inception for example). doesnt seem so and i wonder why..

also the super deluxe edition of the TGWTDT-soundtrack seems to not be sold out as of now, which kinda leaves me a bit disappointed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    weird to see the inception score sold more than the social network score..

maybe that was bumped up with the oscar win, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    ...also the super deluxe edition of the TGWTDT-soundtrack seems to not be sold out as of now, which kinda leaves me a bit disappointed.
    I am pretty annoyed that they decided $300 was the price for this because to me the Ghosts package is WAY better than TGWTDT package. $200 tops but $300??? Anyways I'm a sucker for anything Trent Reznor so I guess it's my own fault, but I'm also disappointed that they're not sold out as of yet.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post

Yup. I used to have a complimentary subscription to Billboard for about a year (on account of filling out an online survey and not winning an iPad) and I remember seeing TSN jumping way up the charts after the GG & Oscar nominations and wins. That said, music sales ain't what they used to be, even for the heavy hitters.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post

Could it be because Inception was a science fiction blockbuster film, people who are fans of that tend to get a bit obsessive don't they? It's like if it had been released in 1977 I wouldn't expect it to outsell the Star Wars soundtracks. NIN are still quite niche particularly internationally

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It has now been 11 days since I placed my order and payed extra for 2-3 days shipping. There was no asterisk on their site that said "2-3 days after we have the product in stock as we are selling products that we don't actually have". I am going to good records today and buying it like I should have 5 days ago. Fuck TOPSPIN!

P.S. I LOVE the album! I probably like TSN better but this is really good chill music.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thinking that because they are busy remixing the new HTDA lp they are not going to turn up at the BAFTAs tomorrow, just wondering whether to bother tuning in or not

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Assuming mixing was finished today, they COULD fly over (and be jetlagged) in time, but I doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    where is this guy who posted all these uber-technical descriptions to many of the TGWTDT-soundtrack songs? i cant even find his posts anymore. i need him

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    where is this guy who posted all these uber-technical descriptions to many of the TGWTDT-soundtrack songs? i cant even find his posts anymore. i need him
    what is this?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Trent is listed as Music Department for this film (A Fall From Grace), any confirmation on this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621415/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    How on earth did you find that Sheepdean? There's at least a connection there, as the director's David Lynch's daughter. Might be a similar case to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, in that they're hoping to bring Trent on board, and someone having heard about it has posted it as gospel.

I don't really see it happening though. That's a low-budget movie with quite a well-known cast, I'd be very surprised if they could spare the cash for an Oscar-winning composer.
    /Speculation...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I found it by just googling a lot :P

IMDB is, at the end of the day, a wiki, so I take new information from it with a pinch of salt generally, but it doesn't seem totally implausible - how much does Trent charge I wonder?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    how much does Trent charge I wonder?
    blood of the first born (kitten)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I imagine Trent is more interested in the kind of story being told rather than how much money he's going to make. If he cared more about the money than about the story that his music would be accompanying, he'd be taking every composer job they threw at him. I think if this film had a compelling enough story for him, he'd do it, regardless of the budget.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    can someone please point me in the direction of the NY Times Talks full interview with TR. Cant find it anywhere online.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Back on the old ETS forums, someone posted a non-scanned version of The Social Network - For Your Consideration artwork they rendered on Photoshop. Does anyone still have the file? I thought I had it saved but I can't find it. The ETS archive on The Wayback Machine doesn't have the full thread archived, so searching there has been fruitless, too. Thanks in advance for any help!