Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 151 to 171 of 171

Thread: The "oh, thatís interesting" Thread

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,440
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    @Erneuert @eachpassingphase @marodi (@epp, this is about part of the Ephod. I'm sure you know more about that than i do.)

    Last edited by elevenism; 07-08-2021 at 06:08 PM.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,041
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I was following along just fine but then my edibles kicked in....

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I was following along just fine but then my edibles kicked in....
    Case of the munchies?

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,041
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Sleep aid.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,440
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Go to any Wikipedia page. Go to the first hyperlink on the page that isn't in italics or parentheses. Repeat this process.

    Eventually, pretty much without fail, you will end up at the Philosophy page.

    I'd imagine a lot of you know this already, but, if you don't, check it out. It's pretty wild, seeing it in action.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-24-2021 at 04:56 AM.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

    @elevenism - have you watched these?

    And @marodi and @eachpassingphase - I didn’t realise you guys were into this sort of philosophical chat until elevenism tagged you up there. Have you checked these videos out? I actually didn’t even know @eachpassingphase was a chick until like a month ago, lol. Getting older.
    Last edited by Erneuert; Yesterday at 01:42 AM.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    ^ I go from watching that, to this.


  11. #161
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Central Europe. You know, the epicenter of all evil.
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh look, they came up with a jigsaw puzzle to match my soul:


  12. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    ^^^ Spiral out, keep going.. ^^^

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,238
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    @Erneuert @elevenism @eachpassingphase

    My short version musings on God and God vs Science:

    I believe in God, I cannot prove he/she/it/they exist. God may be an imaginary friend.

    I speak to God like this: Please God, thank you God, right now I hate you God.

    God and Science go hands in hands. Maybe God is where Science ends: what cause the Big Bang? Was it God or was it Science we don't understand yet?

    But personally, my belief in God is tied to my belief of life after death. Maybe that belief has less to do with God and more to do with the absolute panic I fall into each time I consider that there is nothing after death. I just can't consider living my life like this. Way too bleak for me.

    Also: imposing your beliefs to someone else is wrong. End of story.

    In the meantime, in Straya: cockatoos are teaching each other to open trash cans. Because STRAYA!

    https://www.sciencealert.com/clever-...sh-bin-looting

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @Erneuert @elevenism @eachpassingphase

    My short version musings on God and God vs Science:

    I believe in God, I cannot prove he/she/it/they exist. God may be an imaginary friend.

    I speak to God like this: Please God, thank you God, right now I hate you God.

    God and Science go hands in hands. Maybe God is where Science ends: what cause the Big Bang? Was it God or was it Science we don't understand yet?

    But personally, my belief in God is tied to my belief of life after death. Maybe that belief has less to do with God and more to do with the absolute panic I fall into each time I consider that there is nothing after death. I just can't consider living my life like this. Way too bleak for me.

    Also: imposing your beliefs to someone else is wrong. End of story.

    In the meantime, in Straya: cockatoos are teaching each other to open trash cans. Because STRAYA!

    https://www.sciencealert.com/clever-...sh-bin-looting
    Some good shit down here in straya! Apart from this lockdown being extended for another month!

    What was it that I was watching or listening to a few weeks back? Was it something I posted in here? My memory’s getting foggy lately so I can’t pinpoint exactly who said it, but addressing your notion of a type of science or existence outside of science that we don’t understand yet: it was a comparison made to the effect of: Think of a desert with a major construction of a super highway being implemented. Next to that highway is a small colony of ants who are completely oblivious to it, despite how grand and obvious it is, because they aren’t at a state of consciousness that can grasp ideas that complex around them. So they just go about doing ant things while all of this is coexisting with them.

    A similar notion is what DA says about looking down into a termite mound while they are oblivious to his presence.


  17. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Fun fact: this is probably the first time in over ten years that my university degree in English and Philosophy has been put to any good use. Discussions with you guys on here.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,440
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @Erneuert @elevenism @eachpassingphase

    My short version musings on God and God vs Science:

    I believe in God, I cannot prove he/she/it/they exist. God may be an imaginary friend.

    I speak to God like this: Please God, thank you God, right now I hate you God.

    God and Science go hands in hands. Maybe God is where Science ends: what cause the Big Bang? Was it God or was it Science we don't understand yet?

    But personally, my belief in God is tied to my belief of life after death. Maybe that belief has less to do with God and more to do with the absolute panic I fall into each time I consider that there is nothing after death. I just can't consider living my life like this. Way too bleak for me.

    Also: imposing your beliefs to someone else is wrong. End of story.

    In the meantime, in Straya: cockatoos are teaching each other to open trash cans. Because STRAYA!

    https://www.sciencealert.com/clever-...sh-bin-looting
    A lot to unpack here.
    OK. I do NOT think of "God" as a being in the sky. Rather, I believe that it is the source- the 'spark,' that animates us all. "God" is the reason that anything exists. Every living being is a part of "God," in that, each of us has a spirit soul: this includes people, cats, dogs, birds and fish.
    For me, "God" IS.
    I've studied the occult since I was about 12. I went from Gardnerian Wicca, to Romani sympathetic magic, to Celtic Ritual Magic, to Hinduism and the Bhagavad Gita, to Swami Prabhupada's Hare Krisna movement, to Gnosticism, to Gnostic Christianity, to Kabala, and, FINALLY arrived at a sort of Christian Mysticism. I KNOW the Bible, and the writings of the early church fathers. I ALSO love Thomas Kempis' Imitation of Christ, and Revelation of a Divine Love by Julian of Norwich and such: the works of the mystics.
    I like what you said about God and Science. It's consciousness/spirit that we don't understand. I don't think god and science are at odds, at ALL. The lunatic evangelicals who don't believe in evolution think that, and the biblical literalists.
    None of us has the exact answers, nor does any particular book.
    BUT, I fall under the Christian umbrella because I believe that altruism and love are the best answers we have. Yeshua was a great teacher of altruism, and, furthermore, an amazing symbol of altruism and GRACE. And, I AM, now, a monotheist, and I just have a funny feeling about the tetragrammaton: YHVH: I really think it might be one of the true names of "god." About 7,000 parts of the bible where it says 'God,' the original text says YHVH.

    Yes, imposing your beliefs on someone is ABSOLUTELY wrong. Another thing that religious people don't seem to understand, is that, were they born in Iran, they'd be trying to be good Muslims. Japan, and they'd be into Shinto. Were they born in India, it'd be all about being a good Hindu. Had they been born in ancient Egypt, it'd be all about Horus and Isis and Ra, unless they lived during the short period of Ahten worship. Were they ancient Greeks, well, you get the idea. FURTHERMORE, there is wisdom in ALL belief systems.
    Light doesn't make a sound.
    While we're at it, the bible doesn't say SHIT about abortion, and what it says about homosexuality is right next to some of the craziest things you've ever heard: things like, if a man's penis is damaged, he cannot enter the kingdom of god. MOST churches say that these "Levitical laws" were "nailed to the cross." This is why they continue eating ham, for instance. But, they hang on to the one anti gay line, for some reason.

    I'll stop, now. I am SO obsessed with theology and theological history that I could go on for hours.

    But, one last thing: don't panic about the possibility of death being the end. I think of it this way: how were you in the 1700s? Did you have a hard time at all? Were you ever sick, or sad? I wasn't.
    In FACT, everything was pretty laid back for BILLIONS of years. The trouble, for me, began in 1980.
    Last edited by elevenism; Yesterday at 10:06 PM.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Also, I don't panic about the possibility of death being the end. I think of it this way: how were you in the 1700s? Did you have a hard time at all? Were you ever sick, or sad?
    That is a good way of thinking. Alan Watts is probably my greatest source of inspiration and admiration when it comes to this sort of subject matter. Are you a fan of his lectures?

    The question in those two videos I posted above, though, “why is there something rather than nothing?” — I don’t think we will ever get a satisfying answer to it. As fascinating as those discussions are he has with those physicists and thinkers, the same questions will always inevitably get raised about contingency and necessity. If the laws of physics exist, WHY do they exist rather than not? If God exists, why was he there in the first place?

    edit: @elevenism , you need to clear some PM space so I can send you a message!
    Last edited by Erneuert; Yesterday at 10:06 PM.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,440
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That is a good way of thinking. Alan Watts is probably my greatest source of inspiration and admiration when it comes to this sort of subject matter. Are you a fan of his lectures?

    The question in those two videos I posted above, though, “why is there something rather than nothing?” — I don’t think we will ever get a satisfying answer to it. As fascinating as those discussions are he has with those physicists and thinkers, the same questions will always inevitably get raised about contingency and necessity. If the laws of physics exist, WHY do they exist rather than not? If God exists, why was he there in the first place?

    edit: @elevenism, you need to clear some PM space so I can send you a message!
    Ha! I will. I hoard messages for some reason.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ha! I will. I hoard messages for some reason.
    I was going to say, with so many of the interests we have in common and discussions we have, it almost feels like we’ve lived the same lives to some extent, especially taking the writing career - or lack thereof - into consideration.

    Did you get a chance to read this post? - https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...194#post540194

Posting Permissions