Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Van Halen

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Sorry to hear about your situation @chuckrh . Hope you pull through.
    Thanks @Krazy . It's a battle that's been going on for 10 years. What I have is a really bad version of rheumatoid arthritis. They use chemo to try & slow down the progression with mixed results. I won't be feeling too hot until sometime this weekend. The damage has been accumulating & I had to take a disability retirement a year ago. That was about 5 years after the doctors started telling me I should. Turns out the timing was good as the company isn't doing too well with the pandemic. It wasn't in great shape before that either. Major aerospace that shall remain nameless. I'm still walking etc but every day is a challenge. It's definitely a sword of Damocles situation. People don't really understand about RA. There are a real lot of variations that run from mild to severe. Lucky me got 1 in the severe category. Most likely it's or complications are going to kill me sooner rather than later. That's what did in Glen Frey of the Eagles. Would've been good if that had raised awareness but sadly Bowie died later in the week. Some people here have heard this so sorry if redundant. The pandemic has definitely made things even tougher as my immune system is not good at all. I try to get by best I can. Hopefully there will be a vaccine soon. It's been tough going to see live music before the pandemic & getting worse. I hope I get a few more shows in from favorite artists while I still can. This month was originally going to be 1 for the ages. Roger Waters, Nick Cave & multiple NIN shows of course! Sigh.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @chuckrh - Lol, looks like you, me and my husband are all the same age and graduated the same year

My husband saw Van Halen and Black Sabbath on that tour, too.

Edit: Re David Lee Roth: I had numerous girlfriends in high school who had posters of a half-nekkid DLR hanging on their respective walls. He was a chick magnet in those days.

Eddie and Alex were born in the Netherlands and so was my paternal grandpa and his whole family. Dutch pride.

My lifetime-lead-guitarist-and-otherwise-typically-not-emotional husband has had tears in his eyes several times since Ed’s death, trying to explain things to me about “tapped harmonics” and stuff that I don’t understand.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-08-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @chuckrh - Lol, looks like you, me and my husband are all the same age and graduated the same year

My husband saw Van Halen and Black Sabbath on that tour, too.

Edit: Re David Lee Roth: I had numerous girlfriends in high school who had posters of a half-nekkid DLR hanging on their respective walls. He was a chick magnet in those days.

Eddie and Alex were born in the Netherlands and so was my paternal grandpa and his whole family. Dutch pride.

My lifetime-lead-guitarist-and-otherwise-typically-not-emotional husband has had tears in his eyes several times since Ed’s death, trying to explain things to me about “tapping harmonics” and stuff that I don’t understand.
    To be honest, I got a little misty too when I heard the news. Very unChucklike behavior!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks like Wolf and Al will look through the vaults of 5150 for unreleased recordings.

There's a ton of stuff. The 1976 demos (which are highly bootlegged), the 1985 sessions with David Lee Roth before he left the group, 4-5 songs that were recorded for For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge but didn't make the album, several completed or near completed songs for the follow-up to Van Halen 3 with Gary Cherone, the 2001 aborted sessions with David Lee Roth, several demos from A Different Kind of Truth and various other odds-and-ends.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder what he has in terms of live recordings. They only put out two live albums (and a video from the first tour with Hagar), and nothing with the original line-up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    To be honest, I got a little misty too when I heard the news. Very unChucklike behavior!
    We are doing an unending VH Fest here at Casa del Beavis.

And said “tapped harmonics” ...

Last edited by allegro; 10-08-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Eddie Van Halen with Roger Waters:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    And Ennio Morricone, who passed this year as well.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Man, takes me back to senior year in high school. Can't believe he's really gone.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Four Van Halen albums re-entered the billboard 200 this week:

Van Halen (30)
    1984 (45)
    Best of, Volume 1 (60)
    Best of Both Worlds (166)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If you're a VH fan, check out the Zero demos from the 1970's, really good shit.

I really like this song in particular, "Big Trouble," which was reworked as "Big River" on A Different Kind of Truth. I like this version better. Anthony's vocals harmonizing with DLR sounds great.

They should officially release this.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-21-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here is a demo of an unreleased song called "It's the Right Time," with singer Mitch Malloy, which was later reworked as "That's Why I Love You," for VH3 but left off the album.

Not a bad song, but Malloy is a little generic. A more traditional VH sounding album, with the right producer with Malloy might have had a better chance than what we got with Van Halen 3.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    That's a cool song. This was recorded a few years ago for an album that hasn't been released yet. John 5 plays guitar and Gregg Bissonette plays drums.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've never been a huge VH fan, however I have been getting into ADKOT big time this week. What a hell of a record.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I've never been a huge VH fan, however I have been getting into ADKOT big time this week. What a hell of a record.
    Really awesome album. Apparently they demoed a a dozen more songs for that album. Hopefully they could be cleaned-up and released someday.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Eddie Van Halen: Happy Trails.

Really good write-up on the legacy of Van Halen.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Just gonna be a naysayer for a second here and INSIST that the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Bar and Grill)" is a painfully bad song, and I'm not shitting on the dead here (Eddie had nothing to do with it). That song is incredibly bad! That's fucking terrrrrrrrrrrrrible! Honestly, would you ever just want to listen to that?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Just gonna be a naysayer for a second here and INSIST that the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Bar and Grill)" is a painfully bad song, and I'm not shitting on the dead here (Eddie had nothing to do with it). That song is incredibly bad! That's fucking terrrrrrrrrrrrrible! Honestly, would you ever just want to listen to that?
    I enjoyed it. I mean, it's not a great song, but it's fun and I'm hoping DLR releases that album he recorded with John 5 at some point.

On another note, I picked up some Van Halen bootlegs on Ebay. One is from Pensacola, Florida, 1995, first show of the Balance tour. Really great recording (better than the Live: Right Here, Right Now, the official live album from 1993). Jon Stewart introduces the band. Check out this show, really good shit.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    it's like something Jimmy Buffett was too drunk to release.

And there's totally a place for that. I'm a grinch I guess.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My Grandpa came here from Holland through Ellis Island with his entire family (my Dad and his brother and sister were/are first generation American), and the extended family on that side would all sit around speaking Dutch. I know SOME Dutch, very very little.

But hearing Alex and Eddie speaking fluent Dutch is, well, oddly comforting now that all of my relatives who speak fluent Dutch have passed.

Re the Twister soundtrack, Sirius XM played this from that soundtrack quite a bit while Deep Tracks was temporarily the Van Halen Tribute Channel after EVH died.

Last edited by allegro; 11-03-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New song "Distance" from Wolfgang Van Halen. I think it sounds really good--very modern, but heartfelt with a good hook. Beautiful video too:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Oh he's got a future for sure. And a decent voice too, people were knocking him for not having Anthony's high range but he's a good singer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I posted the entire Howard Stern interview with another new song "You're to Blame" which was really good, but it was pulled down.