Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Eric Clapton

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Eric Clapton

Pre-order up for The Definitive 24 Nights, an expanded version of his classic 1991 live album documenting his most recent residencies at the Royal Albert Hall.

“Layla” is also in Dolby Atmos on (at least) Apple Music. I caught the piano coda in the car driving today and turned it up nice and loud. This might be him at his very best as a solo artist.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    That looks awesome.

I've been on a Clapton kick. I just put on his first solo album. It's the deluxe version with three different mixes. I'm no audiophile, but I can hear a difference.

I liked his work with The Yardbirds (although they were the best with Beck, IMHO), and I love Cream. Blind Faith and DATD were great, and he released several solo classics, like the debut, 461 OB, Slowhand, Journeyman, and MTV Unplugged. I think that the Crossroads boxset is the best place to start. Everything on it is essential.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Clapton rocks! I remember having a cassette tape of his work when I was a teenager. I liked the acoustic version of "Layla".

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Clapton stood in as a rhythm guitarist for Dire Straits when they were performing at the Mandela birthday concert in Wembley in '88... playing a guitar solo here and there while also performing Wonderful Tonight:

Look at those guys... I basically grew up thinking wearing blazers on stage was mandatory as a rock star.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is my favorite:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    too bad he's a big time piece of shit. Racist conspiracy theorist garbage human. Would spit on if given the chance.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    too bad he's a big time piece of shit. Racist conspiracy theorist garbage human. Would spit on if given the chance.
    I can understand the racist rant in the 70s, as he was on a lot of coke, and he later apologized. The lockdown/covid thing... I don't understand. Whatever. I didn't listen to Fauci for his guitar solos and don't listen to Clapton for his views on the pandemic.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Write-up of the 24 Nights new deluxe boxset.

I ordered this and plan to take a deep-dive this summer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I bought it around Christmas. The Orchestral set is the real prize of this, but what I saw of the other sets were good. Kind of sad about the stuff with Phil Collins from 91, who just looks tired and his playing seemed so to me too. At least compared to the kind of stuff Phil and Eric did with Nathan East and Greg Phillinganes in 86-87.