Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Van Halen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I TOTALLY agree. Too much has been made of Michael Anthony's absence, but a great record is a great record.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gotta love Dave:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "Sam throws the party, I am the party"--DLR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now THAT'S reality tv. I don't know what it is about Hagar but he just seems like a whiny little bitch.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think that's from when they toured together in 2002 (I think?).

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I think that's from when they toured together in 2002 (I think?).
    I remember that special. It was during their 2002 tour. It was pretty weird as it was fun seeing Sammy getting all pissed off because he's in a little room with his band while Dave is having the time of his life and telling his people to stay away from the Cabo Wabo. Dave was my idol as a tiny kid. I loved his moves and was dancing to Van Halen. I thought of him as a God. He's still my mofo!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There is a very long excerpt from an unpublished Sammy Hagar autobiography floating around on the web that details his leaving the band in the '90's. It's very fascinating and I encourage any VH fans to read it. I actually just tried to post it here but got this when I hit Enter.

The following errors occurred with your submissionThe text that you have entered is too long (184210 characters). Please shorten it to 20000 characters long.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    There is a very long excerpt from an unpublished Sammy Hagar autobiography floating around on the web that details his leaving the band in the '90's. It's very fascinating and I encourage any VH fans to read it. I actually just tried to post it here but got this when I hit Enter.
    Just send a link or separate into two posts though I am aware that double-posting isn't cool.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Doing the math, I think I'd have to make like 8 or 9 posts to put it all in, actually lol.

This is where it originated, back in 2004 while Sammy was on tour with VH for their ill-fated reunion attempt. I think it was never published because Sammy probably realized it cut too deep and maybe would have severed the VH ties. He really goes after VH's manager from that period, Ray Danniels, who happens to be Rush's manager (and has been with them their whole career).
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-01-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sammy did release a book in 2011 and it does not paint the Van Halen brothers in a very positive light, especially EVH. According to the book, Eddie was a total, out of control loon in the early to mid 00s. People may complain about Wolf being in the band, but at least he brought Eddie back to reality and we have had a few tours and an album to show for it.

I saw the Dave/Sammy tour in 2002--good show. I'm more of a Dave fan, but Sammy put on a better show. Sam's band just sounded better and he played songs from his entire career. Plus he had Gary Cherone and Mike Anthony joined him for a few songs. Dave was good, but it seemed like I was watching a VH cover band and he hammed it up a bit too much and looked ridiculous:

He was just way too old for that look and looks far better since rejoining Van Halen:

I can't believe that was 11 years ago. Well, Sam is with Chickenfoot and released a pretty good solo album last year and Dave is back with Van Halen, so all is right in the world.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I saw Van Halen a couple of years ago, I thought it was great but I wish Michael Anthony was still in the band. I also didn't like Diamond Dave's stupid mouthpiece.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dave sang two songs with the Foo Fighters last night!

VHND.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Dave sang two songs with the Foo Fighters last night!
    I flew out to this show, and it was amazing. Had front row and got a couple decent shots of Dave, DLR, and the other (almost a dozen!) guests.

http://bit.ly/1xUKEPd
    http://bit.ly/1z0rt8x

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    That video just proves to me that I would love to punch David Lee Roth right in the fricking mouth. I can't stand that dude. what a pompous ass.

Sammy is pretty bitchy here and there, but he was totally disrespected. Hagar is the superior singer, and songwriter tho.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    That video just proves to me that I would love to punch David Lee Roth right in the fricking mouth. I can't stand that dude. what a pompous ass.

Sammy is pretty bitchy here and there, but he was totally disrespected. Hagar is the superior singer, and songwriter tho.
    The video from the Foo Fighters show? The entire band, Dave and the audience looked like they were having a great time. As for DLR vs. Sammy, I'm a Dave guy, but Sam is technically a better singer with a lot more range. They are both good at what they do, but Eddie has a better chemistry with Dave, IMHO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    new live album!

out March 31st

"Tokyo Dome Live In Concert" track listing:
    01. Unchained
    02. Runnin' With The Devil
    03. She's The Woman
    04. I'm The One
    05. Tattoo
    06. Everybody Wants Some
    07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    08. China Town
    09. Hear About It Later
    10. Oh, Pretty Woman
    11. You Really Got Me
    12. Dance The Night Away
    13. I'll Wait
    14. And the Cradle Will Rock…
    15. Hot For Teacher
    16. Women In Love
    17. Romeo Delight
    18. Mean Street
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    23. Jump

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    new live album!

out March 31st

"Tokyo Dome Live In Concert" track listing:
    01. Unchained
    02. Runnin' With The Devil
    03. She's The Woman
    04. I'm The One
    05. Tattoo
    06. Everybody Wants Some
    07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    08. China Town
    09. Hear About It Later
    10. Oh, Pretty Woman
    11. You Really Got Me
    12. Dance The Night Away
    13. I'll Wait
    14. And the Cradle Will Rock…
    15. Hot For Teacher
    16. Women In Love
    17. Romeo Delight
    18. Mean Street
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    23. Jump

Eh. I'll buy it, of course, but this is kind of a letdown. A new album or a box-set of demos would be of far greater interest. Even a live show from the 1984 tour would be somewhat exciting. This just seems kind of anti-climatic and nothing more than a cash grab.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I read that there is talk of a new reissue campaign with unreleased material, not unlike the Zeppelin campaign.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I read that there is talk of a new reissue campaign with unreleased material, not unlike the Zeppelin campaign.
    That would be great. And if they are going to reissue their past albums, it should be the ones from the Hagar-era. They already remastered the Roth albums in 2000 and they sound great. The Sam-era albums, however, could desperately use a remastering.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yes I agree, if there should be remasters I want the Van Hagar albums!

I am also desperate for new material but hey I don't mind the live album either. Would have been better if it was a Blu Ray or something.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    5150 and OU812 could especially use an upgrade.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I the "reissue campaign" is true i would buy "Van Halen I" and "Women and Children First" in a heartbeat...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I the "reissue campaign" is true i would buy "Van Halen I" and "Women and Children First" in a heartbeat...
    I thought that the 2000 remasters sounded great and I'm not sure if they could be improved. Maybe they would be made louder--but better? RE: WACF--"Romeo Delight" has always been a favorite of mine.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I thought that the 2000 remasters sounded great and I'm not sure if they could be improved. Maybe they would be made louder--but better? RE: WACF--"Romeo Delight" has always been a favorite of mine.
    Yeah, to be fair the 2000 remasters are fine, i just would like a "deluxe" version with B-sides and live versions, i don't think they can sound better and i don't want a "louder remaster" that will end up being another victim of the "loudness war".

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Yeah, to be fair the 2000 remasters are fine, i just would like a "deluxe" version with B-sides and live versions, i don't think they can sound better and i don't want a "louder remaster" that will end up being another victim of the "loudness war".
    Funny how there seems to be a bottomless well of Hendrix posthumous albums--live albums, alt. takes, demos, works-in-progress, etc., but there's been practically no official release of any VH material, outside their 12 albums and now two live albums. Hendrix only recorded for about four years, compared to Van Halen's near 40. There must be tons of shit in the fault. Hell, even that aborted second album with Gary Cherone would be interesting to hear.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fun fact: Van Halen was the 2nd ever live show I saw. I was 14. Can't be bothered to give a shit about them nowadays. They sound dated and not in a good way. Talented as fuck for sure, even fun in a way, but there is a major cheese factor there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Fun fact: Van Halen was the 2nd ever live show I saw. I was 14. Can't be bothered to give a shit about them nowadays. They sound dated and not in a good way. Talented as fuck for sure, even fun in a way, but there is a major cheese factor there.
    Some of Van Halen's music has aged rather well. The first six albums (DLR-era) still sound great and are a cornerstone to any decent rock collection. The first two albums with Sammy Hagar sound really dated, due to the production values, electric kit and keyboards. A remastering of those two albums would go a long way in terms or improving their sound.

Van Halen were my favorite band in high school and I was an obsessive fanatic. I still follow them and will give them a listen from time to time, but I've sort of moved on to other bands. It's just that for four years about 75% of what I listened to was Van Halen and I'm fatigued with their albums, although I did love A Different Kind of Truth and feel that's the best album of its type (guitar rock, hard rock) in ages. I was hoping for a follow-up, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon, if ever. Instead we get a lame live album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Can you believe that MTV banned this video in 1991? Seems very tame by today's standards.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Not a bad list. I probably would have bumped up Balance and put ADKOT in the top 5. Here's what my list would look like:

Van Halen
    Fair Warning
    Women and Children First
    A Different Kind of Truth
    Van Halen II
    Balance
    Diver Down
    OU812
    F.U.C.K.
    Van Halen III

Pretty Funny:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-12-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    one thing definitely consistent is which album fans regard as the worst hah...

Fair Warning
    Van Halen
    Van Halen II
    A Different Kind of Truth
    Women and Children First
    Diver Down
    OU812
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Balance
    Van Halen III