Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Refused are not fucking dead!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so the album is about to come out and this thread is buried? WTF?

To chime in on old conversation, yeah, the new song is fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Couldn't agree more. After 17 years, they have not lost a step. You can tell Dennis' vocals have changed a bit over the years, but it still sounds amazing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    as long as this is a riff-fest in the way TSOPTC is (not necessarily with the techno/trance integration, since they already did that), i'll be happy. especially if they allowed the avant-garde leanings from the end of the record to fester and propagate – "Tannhäuser/Derivè" is one hell of a track!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    that new song is the best pissed-off song I've heard in about twenty years.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I like it when bands start branching out their sound, I think this is great: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...w-track-listen

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm probably not as stoked for this as I should be but I've been really busy at work. That said, even the vague memory I have if the single still makes me giddy.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Haven't heard 'Elektra' yet, and don't want to until within the context of "Freedom".
    you should still listen to Elektra. That's what you would have done in a heartbeat in 1998. It's really good. It's also the first song on the album... you get a good preview, but no spoilers.

I'm holding off on the new single that they just released. I can wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I like it when bands start branching out their sound, I think this is great: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...w-track-listen
    I agree. It's not very Refused-y. But I really like it. Especially the part where they come back into the riff after the "Go!" towards the end.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Christ, look at all the hipsters in the crowd. Someone needs to remind them they're at a tasteless rock show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Refused are not fucking dead!

A new song, "Dawkins Christ" has appeared on spotify

EDIT -
    Last edited by AbjectMark; 06-17-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    love that too!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm drunk and my phone is gimped internets right now. When does the freshness drop. Thank you.
    #imlazy
    Last edited by Pillfred; 06-18-2015 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Album is up on Spotify. Just had my first listen. It's really good.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I was never into this band for whatever reason, but the new album is pretty killer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yikes, this record is pretty bad so far. It's always sad when an incredibly influential band changes the landscape of a sub-genre with one intense record and then tries to recapture lightning in a bottle twice years later only to find themselves with average production and the loss of their original magic.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Yikes, this record is pretty bad so far. It's always sad when an incredibly influential band changes the landscape of a sub-genre with one intense record and then tries to recapture lightning in a bottle twice years later only to find themselves with average production and the loss of their original magic.
    I don't necessarily think they're trying to recapture lightning in a bottle, though. I really think that they were just having fun being back together and decided "fuck it, why not" and obviously 17 years later they're all in very different places, musically, so they didn't even attempt to try to make another "punk" album, and just made what they found was fun and interesting. It's a totally different album than anyone expected from them, and I dig that about it. Granted, I won't make an official call on it until I am able to hear it a few times, but the one time I went through, I enjoyed how out there it is. The exact same thing would probably happen if ATDI finally made a new one. Everyone would expect a sequel to ROC, but in reality it'd probably be a super spacey chilled out prog album.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I don't necessarily think they're trying to recapture lightning in a bottle, though. I really think that they were just having fun being back together and decided "fuck it, why not" and obviously 17 years later they're all in very different places, musically, so they didn't even attempt to try to make another "punk" album, and just made what they found was fun and interesting. It's a totally different album than anyone expected from them, and I dig that about it. Granted, I won't make an official call on it until I am able to hear it a few times, but the one time I went through, I enjoyed how out there it is. The exact same thing would probably happen if ATDI finally made a new one. Everyone would expect a sequel to ROC, but in reality it'd probably be a super spacey chilled out prog album.
    Oh and I totally get that too, there's no reason that they should've ever attempted to make a sequel to their first record but for me the song writing and lyrical content doesn't stick with me as much as they should. It seems they're pulling from a lot of the similar themes and tones from their first record, but the directions these tracks go in just misses the mark for me. For my ears at least, this is the kind of record that if this was put out by [insert band name here] on Vagrant or Victory Records, it would just be looked at as just another run of the mill album. =/

I agree with you though, if ATDI ever decided to make an album again it would be as proggy as possible.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hate to be the buzzkill here, but Pitchfork leveled this album with a review of 5.4: http://m.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20726-freedom/

Yikes. I wasn't expecting a milestone the likes of TSOPTC, but is it really as lifeless as they're making it out to be?
    Ouch, even that review didn't seem to exactly hate the album all that much. They even put it below the new Sun Kil Moon album.

I'm not exactly loving the album, but it isn't 5.4 out of 10 bad. It's a good album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Ouch, even that review didn't seem to exactly hate the album all that much. They even put it below the new Sun Kil Moon album.

I'm not exactly loving the album, but it isn't 5.4 out of 10 bad. It's a good album.
    Since when do we trust Pitchfork reviews?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Hate to be the buzzkill here, but Pitchfork leveled this album with a review of 5.4: http://m.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20726-freedom/

Yikes. I wasn't expecting a milestone the likes of TSOPTC, but is it really as lifeless as they're making it out to be?
    For my ears at least, a 5.4 sounds about right. Songs often start off really strong and then go off into tangents that just leave me bored.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Shit, if Pitchfork has given them a shit review they've just suddenly lost a lot of ticket sales from hipsters.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Haven't listened to much Refuse historically. Tried without much success to get into TSOPTC a few years back, but I really dig what I'm hearing on the new album.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    good album to me, not the best

Françafrique has grown on me after a few listens

stand out tracks for me besides Elektra are Old Friends/New War and Servants of Death.

The intro of War On the Palaces sounds so AC/DC too til the horns kick in

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Nice! Dennis still has it in him!

Whats with these hipsters in the front rows though and only around 10 people going off!? A couple of years ago when they visited Germany we destroyed the club in Munich. The crowd here seems pretty lame.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've given this several plays over the last couple of weeks. I'm really digging it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "Old Friends/New Wars" is the stand out track for me

"War on the Palaces" is growing on me with more listens

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There will be a new album by Dennis Lyxen's side project INVSN. Quite excited about this, as their last album is one of my favorite albums of recent years.

http://www.woahdad.com/news/welcome-invsn