Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden 2021 - "Listen, Jack."

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Interesting note, here:

Biden is the 2nd Catholic President in U.S. history.

The first was JFK.

G and I were raised Catholic (so were all of our closest friends). Today is like: CATHOLICS, REPRESENT!!! Lol

Meanwhile, Amanda Gorman was BRILLIANT, omg.
    *raises hand* Catholic too. My mother knew Biden was Catholic before I did. She's watching the inauguration and I kid you not, she told me she was all teary eye when he was taking his oath. Not because he's Catholic but because my mother, a 79 years old Québécoise, was terrified of what Trump would do. That's how bad things were.

Also: apparently, the exiting moron left a letter for President Biden. If the letter says something other than "Sleepy Joe, I won and you know it you thief. Fuck you.", Trump didn't write it; he copied what someone else has written.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    After today, I'm actively looking forward to the world of politics going back to being a little more boring again. Like many of you, I'm tired of being outraged over a new Trump-related controversy every. single. day. I know that the pandemic is still raging on, but it feels like we've already begun our slow return to normalcy.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    After today, I'm actively looking forward to the world of politics going back to being a little more boring again. Like many of you, I'm tired of being outraged over a new Trump-related controversy every. single. day. I know that the pandemic is still raging on, but it feels like we've already begun our slow return to normalcy.
    I think the first thing Biden should do as president is come out wearing a tan suit with a cheeseburger on a plate, and then just smother the cheeseburger with spicy "fancy" mustard, take a big bite, and smile that winning smile he has. And then, with his tan suit and his mouth full of mustard and cheeseburger, say "fuck you." And then get to work.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Trump's presidency felt like fucking Woodstock 99.

It's surreal that its over. Watching Pence drive off into oblivion was fantastic.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    *raises hand* Catholic too. My mother knew Biden was Catholic before I did. She's watching the inauguration and I kid you not, she told me she was all teary eye when he was taking his oath. Not because he's Catholic but because my mother, a 79 years old Québécoise, was terrified of what Trump would do. That's how bad things were.

Also: apparently, the exiting moron left a letter for President Biden. If the letter says something other than "Sleepy Joe, I won and you know it you thief. Fuck you.", Trump didn't write it; he copied what someone else has written.
    Biden said the letter was very “generous.” He won’t disclose the contents until he talks with Trump to see if it’s okay, first.

The celebration tonight is going to be off the hook!

Sen. Blunt and Sen. Klobuchar and all involved in the inauguration team have done a fantastic job in planning this! Whomever designed it is brilliant. It doesn’t feel like anything is missing; sure, it’s a little weird, and sure we are all worried about safety. But it all came together brilliantly, with some bipartisan participation, and the whole day has been wonderful and tonight should be great, too.

Watching Biden talk to his new staff, now, before swearing them in.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tuned into Hannity (I must be a masochist) and see that he's ranting about Hunter Biden. Dude needs new material. It's like seeing Poison play "Every Rose Has its Thrown" every night, year after year.

My Pillow is still on FOX, I see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've gotten so used over the past 4 or 5 years to hearing about whatever terrible or dumb shit Trump did any given week. It's going to take some adjustment to get back to not having a latent fear of the government imploding at a moment's notice.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    I've gotten so used over the past 4 or 5 years to hearing about whatever terrible or dumb shit Trump did any given week. It's going to take some adjustment to get back to not having a latent fear of the government imploding at a moment's notice.
    This! It's hard to remember that there was a time when I haven't thought about politics for days, even weeks...
    Last edited by hellospaceboy; 01-21-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

oh boo-hoo.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Don't you just love the beautiful sound of silence, never having to listen to Trump give another speech again?
    I will not miss the tone, pace, or breathing patterns in his verbalizations. Watching all of Biden's speaking yesterday had me thinking, "Wow, Biden is kind of sternly talking to me like I'm sort of in trouble and I have to do something to make things better." felt uncomfortable for a bit. Then it was refreshing since I've apparently become so used to the whining "everything is so unfair" "they did this" posture behind the podium.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I will not miss the tone, pace, or breathing patterns in his verbalizations. Watching all of Biden's speaking yesterday had me thinking, "Wow, Biden is kind of sternly talking to me like I'm sort of in trouble and I have to do something to make things better." felt uncomfortable for a bit. Then it was refreshing since I've apparently become so used to the whining "everything is so unfair" "they did this" posture behind the podium.
    I found it to be upsetting, listening to Trump. Bush/Romney, etc. I didn't have that same reaction, even if I didn't like them or their policies.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Guys after watching y'all get back into the WHO and Paris accords over the past two days I have the absurd urge to hug America and tell it I'm proud of it

It'd prolly shank me in the jimmy but

I'm just so fucking glad you're stepping out of the abyss. You did it. You're doing it.

Sincerely,

Canada

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Guys after watching y'all get back into the WHO and Paris accords over the past two days I have the absurd urge to hug America and tell it I'm proud of it

It'd prolly shank me in the jimmy but

I'm just so fucking glad you're stepping out of the abyss. You did it. You're doing it.

Sincerely,

Canada
    Ted Cruz was complaining that Biden cares more about the people of Paris than Americans. Dumbass.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    It's Ted Cruz. I'd like to think he's on his way out too. Goof.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Ted Cruz was complaining that Biden cares more about the people of Paris than Americans. Dumbass.
    He really seems to think that the Paris Accord has something to do with Paris other than THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SIGNED.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    He really seems to think that the Paris Accord has something to do with Paris other than THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SIGNED.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I had to delete my Twitter app.

All these progressives and liberals screaming at Schumer to USE THE NUCLEAR OPTION are making me nuts.

They don’t grok that Democrats and Republicans now SPLIT the Senate 50/50, and the only reason that Schumer is leader is because Harris can break a tie but that doesn’t mean the Dems totally control the Senate; they don’t. They don’t control all committees, etc. Both parties must agree to the rules on committees, etc. because the Senate is split.

And “going nuclear” would mean that ALL 48 Democrats and 2 Independents plus Harris MUST vote in favor of same, and Manchin plus a few other Dems have already said they won’t. So Democrats will need many more Democrats to blow out the filibuster. And there won’t be a chance of that until 2022.

In the House, there are now 221 Democrats and 211 Republicans; that’s not a huge advantage. In 2022, Democrats will need to not only keep ALL those seats but it’s advantageous to gain a lot MORE.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-22-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly. I'm from Dayton, OH and we had the Dayton Peace Accord in 1995 which ended the Bosnian War. Had nothing to do with Dayton other than the place where Clinton and the Balkan leaders met and signed the agreement.
    Last edited by Cookster426; 01-22-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Peter Robb is a prick and it’s a joyous occasion to see him get the ax.

Alice Stock is just as bad so she had to go, too.

How Republicans can even PRETEND to be pro-workers’ rights with those two ASSHOLES on the NLRB is laughable.

Fired without just cause ... the fucking NERVE of these assholes.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-22-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    That coward Manchin is about to fuck this up for everyone and ensure nothing happens until ‘22. What an asshole.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    That coward Manchin is about to fuck this up for everyone and ensure nothing happens until ‘22. What an asshole.
    He's in West Virginia. This is not a surprise.

Kyrsten Sinema says she won't, either. Ditto for Feinstein.

I think it's early.

If Democrats see that the Republicans absolutely refuse to negotiate on anything, then maybe those Democrats against it will reconsider.

But we have to remember: That toothpaste will never go back into the tube.

See this: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...22-senate-map/

And this: https://www.270towin.com/2022-senate-election/
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    We’ve seen Republicans do whatever they want anyway. I’d love some backbone from these weak ass dems.

By pretty valid accounts, Feinstein needs to retire.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    We’ve seen Republicans do whatever they want anyway. I’d love some backbone from these weak ass dems.

By pretty valid accounts, Feinstein needs to retire.
    Yeah, she's been there really long. She was the one who found the bodies of San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and city supervisor Harvey Milk. But she's not up for re-election until 2024.

The two Dems who are solidly against it (Manchin, Sinema) are in fairly conservative areas. So it's not weakness that drives their decision; it's their constituents who put them there. Senators do what their voters want them to do, pretty much. Or they lose their job to a Republican the next time around.

2022 is going to be really tricky.

Mark Kelly is up for election AGAIN in 2022. So is Raphael Warnock.

The problem with Democrats is that they've never figured out how to hold the majority hostage like the Republicans do.

Mitch McConnell has 50 Republicans and he's holding everything up. Because Republicans can do that. They know how to maneuver to block shit.

Democrats just can't do it. And I don't know why. They're too nice? They're too worried about parliamentary procedure? Who knows.

But Republicans have been killing them since Newt Gingrich.

And it doesn't look like that's ever gonna stop, even WITHOUT a filibuster.

The only way stuff is going to get done is through budget reconciliation which only requires 51 votes.

The ACA was passed with over 60 votes; Democrats had 57 seats (55 Dems, 2 Independents).

Then, in 2010, the Democrats lost control of the Senate for ten years.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So now that Manchen and Sinema have publicly stated that they are against blowing out the filibuster, McConnell has relented and agreed to stop holding all the committees hostage and agreed to Schumer’s recommendation of using the 2002 split Senate rules.

Now I just hope Justice Breyer retires in the next two years.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)