Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's your story behind getting into Nine Inch Nails?

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    I liked the hand that feeds on mtv so i bought with teeth and i liked it, so i bought the previous records and now here i am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One of my friends played Closer with another friend present and I thought it was grotesque (I was 14/15)
    Someone I hated really liked them, and that kept me off listening to them
    Then later on my sister told me about the memory sticks being left at their shows, which I thought was really cool, she sent me Survivalism and from then on I was hooked. I just missed out on seeing them in the UK in 2007 which I'll always regret.

Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    92, I think: I was twelve.
    Weekends, I regularly spent the night at my best friend's house, and of course we'd stay up and watch headbanger's ball. My parents were always playing in a band, so I was raised around music, and had a massive collection of all sorts of it on cassette, from Michael Jackson to Steely Dan, to new hip hop like Tribe and Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince, regular Prince, and of course, the requisite Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Primus, Metallica, Pantera, just, you name it. I was proud of that collection.

Anyway, one night, Wish came on. It was like a beautiful car crash or something. Like, I was terrified of it, but couldn't look away. I was simultaneously both deeply attracted to it, but also vaguely frightened of it. I think most of you guys know what I mean.

Guitars were not supposed to sound like that. Trent "Renzor," as my friend and I would call him for the next several months, was androgynous, but he was also PISSED. That stirred something in me.

We went to the mall the next day and both got Broken, and were just obsessed. Of course, PHM was next, and fixed was soon after. I bought and read everything I could get my hands on, NIN related. Fun fact: I somehow had a "Fixed" shirt before I ever saw Fixed for sale in the store.

But, yeah, it all started with Wish and Broken, with lyrics that covered themes I was yet to understand, but would make all too perfect sense as I got older. The creativity and charisma and singularity of even JUST that ep and video cannot be overstated.

It's crazy to look up all these years later and see how ubiquitous they've become. doesn't it seem crazy, now, that we were all obsessed with this little band no one had ever heard of, and, decades later, they're doing massive corporate crossovers, winning film score awards, and getting inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-08-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    As someone who got into NIN in 94, let me just say I am DELIGHTED when I hear stories about younger people finding them much later - WT or YZ eras... it's great. I feel like NIN has only gotten better with time. I love the Trilogy as much as I ever loved TDS, PHM, or Broken. It speaks to me now in ways that some of the older stuff doesn't any more. To know that new generations are finding meaning in my favorite music feels great. Glad you all are here!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Age: about 14 (circa 2001). My older sister's boyfriend had tons of CDs, about half of them not even his own but borrowed from friends and forgotten/never returned. I used to pick something from his collection to see what's cool, mostly at random as I didn't know shit back then. One of these random picks was The Fragile and it clicked immediately. I still have that CD (yep, never returned).
    Next I discovered that I already had a few older NIN songs from NBK and LH soundtracks, but never singled them out before. Worked my way through the back catalogue in the next couple of years and then joined ETS shortly before WT release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone! First time poster, long time lurker. . .
    When I was 17 I saw the Into the Void video on MTV2 and fell in love with the song. I had just moved to Texas and I was dealing with living in the Bible Belt, so it was like my own rebellious secret. I managed to see them on The Fragility tour and I have been hooked ever since.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Ghosts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My best friend at the time had a metalhead uncle. He lent his TDS cassette to us and we listened to it almost constantly. I was enamored, and have been ever since.
    I actually bought PHM and The Perfect Drug single first since those two together were cheaper than the TDS cd at the time and I was like 11-12yrs old.. I only had like $20?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    March of the Pigs video.

One of our 6 TV channels back then in France was playing videos at 2am or something, each night was a different kind of music. Thursday was the "hard rock" night, tool, korn, deftones, nin, rollins, helmet... the motp video was just glorious.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Ghosts.
    Tell us more!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got into NIN because of my brother.

I was in high school, probably about 13, and he started giving me albums to listen to like The Cure's Disintegration. We sat down one day and started watching some NIN videos - March of the Pigs, Closer, Wish - stuff like that. Of course because I was an angsty shit (some say I still am) the fury, anger, anguish, and energy of those songs really drew me in. Still, I was mainly sticking with the singles at this point.

I didn't really get into NIN until I heard Only for the first time. I was in high school when the song came out and I think I saw the video on MTV and really dug it. The song was catchy and had a good groove. That prompted me to check out With Teeth and I fell in love with the album. I started listening to it obsessively. From there, I went backwards through their catalog experiencing all these different moods and modes of NIN. That's when I started figuring out they weren't just hard, fast, and angry all the time.

Though I've been a fan since then I feel like this year made me even more of a fan. Because of lockdown I had enough time to sit and actually listen to albums, not just use them as background noise. And when I sat down with albums like PHM and The Fragile, I found a new connection with the music. I was going through my own issues - horribly depressed and alone - and it's like everything clicked. I had been listening to those songs for years, yet I felt I only started to understand them recently. Because of that I feel even closer to NIN's music now. So while I was initially drawn to NIN for the anger and fury and loudness, what kept me a fan is how varied the music is. Some of it is beautiful, some of it is ugly. Sometimes it's a fucking jam and other times it makes you want to cry. I appreciate NIN so much more now. I'm happy my brother wouldn't stop bugging me to listen to them all those years ago.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I got into NIN because of my brother.

I was in high school, probably about 13, and he started giving me albums to listen to like The Cure's Disintegration. We sat down one day and started watching some NIN videos - March of the Pigs, Closer, Wish - stuff like that. Of course because I was an angsty shit (some say I still am) the fury, anger, anguish, and energy of those songs really drew me in. Still, I was mainly sticking with the singles at this point.

I didn't really get into NIN until I heard Only for the first time. I was in high school when the song came out and I think I saw the video on MTV and really dug it. The song was catchy and had a good groove. That prompted me to check out With Teeth and I fell in love with the album. I started listening to it obsessively. From there, I went backwards through their catalog experiencing all these different moods and modes of NIN. That's when I started figuring out they weren't just hard, fast, and angry all the time.

Though I've been a fan since then I feel like this year made me even more of a fan. Because of lockdown I had enough time to sit and actually listen to albums, not just use them as background noise. And when I sat down with albums like PHM and The Fragile, I found a new connection with the music. I was going through my own issues - horribly depressed and alone - and it's like everything clicked. I had been listening to those songs for years, yet I felt I only started to understand them recently. Because of that I feel even closer to NIN's music now. So while I was initially drawn to NIN for the anger and fury and loudness, what kept me a fan is how varied the music is. Some of it is beautiful, some of it is ugly. Sometimes it's a fucking jam and other times it makes you want to cry. I appreciate NIN so much more now. I'm happy my brother wouldn't stop bugging me to listen to them all those years ago.
    That's what it's all about right there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The first time I heard about NIИ was in 1999. I was 9 years old and not a long ago the first music TV channel launched in Ukraine which was called OTV. They had that thing which was called MusicBox - a service which you can use to see your favorite music videos by calling to a paid phone line and requesting music videos that you want to see. So, at that time NIИ released 'The Fragile' and also released music video for 'We're in this together' which was frequently played back then. Honestly, back then I didn't liked this song as much as Rammstein's 'Du hast' or Offspring's 'Pretty Fly' which were also played frequently on this channel. And I didn't cared about NIИ up until 2005 when I decided to get into some other music which I never heard before. Back in 2005 we used to buy all the music on bootleg MP3 collections which were sold basically everywhere. So, I decided to go to Petrovka, which is the place in Kiev that back in the day used to sell any kind of music on any format, but the most of it were pirated copies or bootlegs. I bought a NIИ MP3 collection and started to listen to it as soon as came back home. And after that I really got into NIИ music and become a fan. That's my story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right when With Teeth was released, 2005.

Quick side note, I lurked a lot without replying to posts but this post intrigued me since NIN ended up being my favorite group after all these years. Saying that, growing up in the 90's I was very hard-headed and only listened to hip hop. I had caught the bug and rock music was not doing it for me; I remember seeing NIN videos in that era but would not pay attention because it was too abrasive for me sonically. Fast forward to the early 2000's I get a little tired of the mainstream hip hop music at the time and diverted off to the underground. I am introduced to the underground hip hop scene through Company Flow and the independent hip hop movement of the late '90s. On that journey, I discover glitch music and all the different sub-genres of electronic music at the time, i.e. Aphex Twin, Prefuse 73. By the time With Teeth comes out my ears are more open to different sonic ideas and abrasive sounds; when I heard With Teeth my mind was blown away. The level of production detail and sound mixing opened my mind to a whole new world of music. Ever since then, I have seen NIN live about five times and have bought every single album; along with all the film scores.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember "Wish" getting sporadic play on Muchmusic way back, but never really focused on who it was or anything. In 95 we were helping move stuff at a relative's place for some renovations, and "Hurt" came on Much. Yep, that was it. Went looking for CDs the next day.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    It was the summer of 94. I was on the edge of 15, with an older brother and sister around 19 & 20. Grunge, alt rock and whatever came from their generation was all I had. I stormed off to the local mall movie theater (for whatever reason) and demanded 1 ticket to see a movie from these two older teen box office girls who looked at me amusingly. One asked my age. Before she could finish the question I snapped at her if there was a going to be problem here, which somehow worked, because they both looked flushed as she shut up and handed me the ticket. That movie was The Crow. Already taken in by what I had seen watching it, that damn crow was flying over the buildings when Dead Souls started to chime in. Later I asked my sister about the song and whodunnit, to where she grinned and said I have some shit for you, and handed me pretty hate machine, broken and tds. I started my education of what NIN was from there on out. From that point on I have spent every damn cent on every import, single, vinyl, album, mp3, whatever- and have not looked back. Except for the Deep video. That was kinda silly.