Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Stephen King's The Stand 2020

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Stephen King's The Stand 2020

This comes out in December on CBS All Access. I never really liked the first adaptation.
    I'm cautiously optimistic for this one, although I think it would take two seasons to do the uncut version of the book justice.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So is Marilyn Manson in this adaptation of The Stand then? My husband as a big Stephen King fan is not happy with this! But if he's cancelled due to this Evan Rachel Wood stuff will the series go ahead. I've looked it up on imdb and there's no mention of Manson but there also isn't mention of who is playing Trashcan Man. Do they think this will be some big exciting reveal to anyone? Why all the secrecy?
    I can't even imagine how annoying it would be to work with him

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    So is Marilyn Manson in this adaptation of The Stand then? My husband as a big Stephen King fan is not happy with this! But if he's cancelled due to this Evan Rachel Wood stuff will the series go ahead. I've looked it up on imdb and there's no mention of Manson but there also isn't mention of who is playing Trashcan Man. Do they think this will be some big exciting reveal to anyone? Why all the secrecy?
    I can't even imagine how annoying it would be to work with him
    So, Amber Heard as the lead doesn't bother you at all then?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So, Amber Heard as the lead doesn't bother you at all then?
    Personally I think they should get together, they’d make a great couple. Anyway another possibility for Trashcan Man was Ezra Miller so it’s like the casting person was like, right who’s going to be cancelled? I’ll choose them please.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Personally I think they should get together, they’d make a great couple. Anyway another possibility for Trashcan Man was Ezra Miller so it’s like the casting person was like, right who’s going to be cancelled? I’ll choose them please.
    Pretty sure fillow was making the connection between Amber Heard and Depp :: Depp and Manson...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Pretty sure fillow was making the connection between Amber Heard and Depp :: Depp and Manson...
    To be honest I didn’t really notice her name as I was looking for trashcan man.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I wasn't.
    Just responding to the concern of having one "canceled" celebrity on the show (which is only rumored anyway) while ignoring a much bigger elephant in the confirmed cast.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I am a huge fan of the 90s TV show, I think it is one of the best King adaptations to date. I'm old enough to remember what an event it was when it came out!

I have no problem with the fact that it was remade (I'm not one of those purists), but this new version has that really fake look that I hate. It just looks really cheap computer generated, lazy feel. I'll give it a shot, but I was hoping to be blown away...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The whole concept of the story of good and evil being based around Vegas and Boulder really irked me. I got married in Vegas and I’m sorry but listening to acoustic guitar playing in bumpkin land is not for me

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I always liked the first 2/3 of the book better. The whole pandemic, chaos and post-wipeot stuff. The final conflict and resolution - not so much.
    The tone changed too much. What started like Crighton-like techno thriller suddenly made a left turn into fantasy land halfway through. I think it would've worked a bit better if fantasy elements and characters were introduced or at least hinted earlier in the story.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I always smile every time I read the title. My dad is a King fan and he told me the Greek edition of The Stand is among the worst translations he's ever read. I did take a peek inside the book, and, maaaan, was he right. The translator fucked up pretty badly. It's a pity, as most Greek translations of King's books are very accurate; not to mention that the translator himself is actually best known for a comedic dictionary, parts of which have been immortalized as one of the oldest (and still pretty hilarious) Greek internet memes.
    Last edited by wizfan; 11-13-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    So... holy shit!

I just finished the series, and while the first couple of episodes were good, it managed to completely shit the bed by the end. It had the absolute worst finale of any tv show I've even seen, even worse than Dexter, which I though would be forever unbeatable.

This is the kind of heartless studio remakes that people hate.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's just a part of a bigger problem with King. There's an unhealthy obsession with adapting his books to screen, and while there are some gems occasionally, there are overwhelmingly more shit adaptations than good ones.