Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 91 to 115 of 115

Thread: The Supreme Court thread

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    All this talk of stacking the court seems pretty unlikely now. This election is a shitshow. "We" now know there really is 1/2 of the country that is dumb/evil enough to want Trump after these 4 years. Also, if Biden wins and the republicans hold the senate it pretty much guarantees no Biden court appointee sees the bench. You think a 6-3 majority is bad? Wait til 2024 when Trump/his daughter runs again and wins the senate so they can go ahead and get a 9-0 majority.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    All this talk of stacking the court seems pretty unlikely now. This election is a shitshow. "We" now know there really is 1/2 of the country that is dumb/evil enough to want Trump after these 4 years. Also, if Biden wins and the republicans hold the senate it pretty much guarantees no Biden court appointee sees the bench. You think a 6-3 majority is bad? Wait til 2024 when Trump/his daughter runs again and wins the senate so they can go ahead and get a 9-0 majority.
    Not necessarily. Not all the Senate race votes have been counted. The GOP advantage has greatly narrowed.

    And there’s another Senate election in two years, with a BUNCH of GOP seats up for grabs.

    I suspect that it laws will be passed that will effectively neuter the courts, putting the courts in an “advisory” position instead of an “executive” position (which is how it should be and was intended). This is especially needed now re SCOTUS.

    SCOTUS used to be honorable and non-partisan and neutral and was used only as a last resort to interpret law.

    Now, SCOTUS is used as a legislative body, a political body, a leverage tool. It defies the founders’ intentions and the balance of power.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I really hope the senate goes blue, that would make things much easier. But nothing about this election makes me think dems will get enough turnout in 2022. And Trump isn't going to just go away like we're used to seeing with presidents. He realizes the power he has through social media. He will be louder than ever and while you and I may not care, his base isn't going anywhere. He will either run in 2024 or hand pick one of his family members to do it for him. Because of his ability to turn out voters, what's left of the republican party will allow it, they'll continue to bend over for him.

    And the SC won't prevent a dem administration from passing legislation. But it will cripple them in that they wont be able to challenge any republican legislation thats been passed. And anything the dems do get done will easily be torn apart the next time republicans hold power. Not to mention they have two months now to strip healthcare with their stacked court. I hope I'm wrong about every bit of this.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,167
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Not if Joe Manchin can help it.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)


    Breaking News: the world exhausted its supply of irony today.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Sidney Powell Implicates Kevin McCarthy, Steve Scalise, and Justice Alito In Plot To Overturn The Election

    Powell suggested that the plan was for the insurrection to delay certifying the election so that Trump’s lawyers could file a 12th Amendment case to overturn the election.

    McCarthy and Scalise were trying to deny Pelosi the ability to file an amicus brief in the case.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Whoa.

    And Alito would be just the justice to do it.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    1,342
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Sidney Powell is a TERRIBLE source for information. It wouldn't surprise me if something like this were true, but no one should believe anything she says.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    True, but also she's in a freefall of "I'm going to say whatever I can to take as many of you with me as I can" so it's up in the air.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Yeah!

  12. #102
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    I actually agree with this report.

    Rotation or term limits is better.

    Increase it, and we could end up with a bigger more conservative court. That’s not actual change. Rotation and/or term limits is actual change … DRAMATIC change that is really needed.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-15-2021 at 10:49 AM.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Justice Stephen Breyer, an influential liberal on the Supreme Court, to retire

    Countdown to asshole Republicans saying that Biden shouldn't be able to nominate someone because...fuck, they'll make some stupid argument up I'm sure.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,685
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    My take:

    Mitch McConnell will say that because it is an election year, Biden should wait until after the midterms before nominating a judge for the Supreme Court. Then he will say that there shouldn't be a nominee until after the next presidential election. McConnell is hoping to kick the can down the road until 2025, when he hopes that there is a Republican president.

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    My take:

    Mitch McConnell will say that because it is an election year, Biden should wait until after the midterms before nominating a judge for the Supreme Court. Then he will say that there shouldn't be a nominee until after the next presidential election. McConnell is hoping to kick the can down the road until 2025, when he hopes that there is a Republican president.
    Unless Biden nominates the electrified corpse of Abbie Hoffman, 48 Democrats and 2 Independents and the VP will approve of Biden's SCOTUS nomination. The End.

    Biden will likely nominate a woman. Maybe a minority woman.

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,685
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Unless Biden nominates the electrified corpse of Abbie Hoffman, 48 Democrats and 2 Independents and the VP will approve of Biden's SCOTUS nomination. The End.
    I'm not so sure.

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I'm not so sure.
    How do you propose that McConnell stop the Dems from nominating a SCOTUS judge in the first year of a Presidency that’s not a PRESIDENTIAL election year? (Which has been McConnell’s previous excuse, although he didn’t care when he put in Coney Barrett IN A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR).

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,685
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    How do you propose that McConnell stop the Dems from nominating a SCOTUS judge in the first year of a Presidency that’s not a PRESIDENTIAL election year? (Which has been McConnell’s previous excuse, although he didn’t care when he put in Coney Barrett IN A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR).
    How Republicans Can Block Stephen Breyer’s Replacement

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Like I said, unless Biden nominates the electrified corpse of Abbie Hoffman …

  21. #111
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,565
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    How do you propose that McConnell stop the Dems from nominating a SCOTUS judge in the first year of a Presidency that’s not a PRESIDENTIAL election year? (Which has been McConnell’s previous excuse, although he didn’t care when he put in Coney Barrett IN A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR).
    He will come up with something and the spineless Dems will just go along with it.

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,127
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    What makes me sad about this whole SCOTUS 2.0: dystopian future version, is RBG.

    You love her, I love her, we all love her. And, she couldn't predict the future.

    But, had she retired in like 2014, well...

  23. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    He will come up with something and the spineless Dems will just go along with it.
    Yeah okay. Sure.

    Thanks for weighing in.
    Last edited by allegro; Today at 01:35 AM.

  24. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    God why didn't rbg step down like ages ago. Pelosi running again at 81?! 81! Why do we have octogenarians in office at all live your life!

  25. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Pelosi running again at 81?! 81! Why do we have octogenarians in office at all live your life!
    I dunno. Good point. Likely because she’s afraid a Democratic challenger in her district might not win. Also, she’s a HUGE money-raiser. She has ways of raising shitloads of campaign funds for all Democrats. And she is pretty good at getting all the Dems to do the same thing in the House. Even the Republicans in the House aren’t doing that right now.

    If the Dems win the House again, she may not run again (House terms are only 2 years at a time), but right now things are pretty fucking scary. The U.S. is on the brink of not being the U.S., anymore.
    Last edited by allegro; Today at 09:51 AM.

Posting Permissions