Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Supreme Court thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    All this talk of stacking the court seems pretty unlikely now. This election is a shitshow. "We" now know there really is 1/2 of the country that is dumb/evil enough to want Trump after these 4 years. Also, if Biden wins and the republicans hold the senate it pretty much guarantees no Biden court appointee sees the bench. You think a 6-3 majority is bad? Wait til 2024 when Trump/his daughter runs again and wins the senate so they can go ahead and get a 9-0 majority.

Mentioned
    847 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    All this talk of stacking the court seems pretty unlikely now. This election is a shitshow. "We" now know there really is 1/2 of the country that is dumb/evil enough to want Trump after these 4 years. Also, if Biden wins and the republicans hold the senate it pretty much guarantees no Biden court appointee sees the bench. You think a 6-3 majority is bad? Wait til 2024 when Trump/his daughter runs again and wins the senate so they can go ahead and get a 9-0 majority.
    Not necessarily. Not all the Senate race votes have been counted. The GOP advantage has greatly narrowed.

And there’s another Senate election in two years, with a BUNCH of GOP seats up for grabs.

I suspect that it laws will be passed that will effectively neuter the courts, putting the courts in an “advisory” position instead of an “executive” position (which is how it should be and was intended). This is especially needed now re SCOTUS.

SCOTUS used to be honorable and non-partisan and neutral and was used only as a last resort to interpret law.

Now, SCOTUS is used as a legislative body, a political body, a leverage tool. It defies the founders’ intentions and the balance of power.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really hope the senate goes blue, that would make things much easier. But nothing about this election makes me think dems will get enough turnout in 2022. And Trump isn't going to just go away like we're used to seeing with presidents. He realizes the power he has through social media. He will be louder than ever and while you and I may not care, his base isn't going anywhere. He will either run in 2024 or hand pick one of his family members to do it for him. Because of his ability to turn out voters, what's left of the republican party will allow it, they'll continue to bend over for him.

And the SC won't prevent a dem administration from passing legislation. But it will cripple them in that they wont be able to challenge any republican legislation thats been passed. And anything the dems do get done will easily be torn apart the next time republicans hold power. Not to mention they have two months now to strip healthcare with their stacked court. I hope I'm wrong about every bit of this.