Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Not if Joe Manchin can help it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Breaking News: the world exhausted its supply of irony today.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sidney Powell Implicates Kevin McCarthy, Steve Scalise, and Justice Alito In Plot To Overturn The Election

Powell suggested that the plan was for the insurrection to delay certifying the election so that Trump’s lawyers could file a 12th Amendment case to overturn the election.

McCarthy and Scalise were trying to deny Pelosi the ability to file an amicus brief in the case.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Whoa.

And Alito would be just the justice to do it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Sidney Powell is a TERRIBLE source for information. It wouldn't surprise me if something like this were true, but no one should believe anything she says.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    True, but also she's in a freefall of "I'm going to say whatever I can to take as many of you with me as I can" so it's up in the air.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I actually agree with this report.

Rotation or term limits is better.

Increase it, and we could end up with a bigger more conservative court. That’s not actual change. Rotation and/or term limits is actual change … DRAMATIC change that is really needed.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-15-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Justice Stephen Breyer, an influential liberal on the Supreme Court, to retire

Countdown to asshole Republicans saying that Biden shouldn't be able to nominate someone because...fuck, they'll make some stupid argument up I'm sure.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My take:

Mitch McConnell will say that because it is an election year, Biden should wait until after the midterms before nominating a judge for the Supreme Court. Then he will say that there shouldn't be a nominee until after the next presidential election. McConnell is hoping to kick the can down the road until 2025, when he hopes that there is a Republican president.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    My take:

Mitch McConnell will say that because it is an election year, Biden should wait until after the midterms before nominating a judge for the Supreme Court. Then he will say that there shouldn't be a nominee until after the next presidential election. McConnell is hoping to kick the can down the road until 2025, when he hopes that there is a Republican president.
    Unless Biden nominates the electrified corpse of Abbie Hoffman, 48 Democrats and 2 Independents and the VP will approve of Biden's SCOTUS nomination. The End.

Biden will likely nominate a woman. Maybe a minority woman.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Unless Biden nominates the electrified corpse of Abbie Hoffman, 48 Democrats and 2 Independents and the VP will approve of Biden's SCOTUS nomination. The End.
    I'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I'm not so sure.
    How do you propose that McConnell stop the Dems from nominating a SCOTUS judge in the first year of a Presidency that’s not a PRESIDENTIAL election year? (Which has been McConnell’s previous excuse, although he didn’t care when he put in Coney Barrett IN A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    How do you propose that McConnell stop the Dems from nominating a SCOTUS judge in the first year of a Presidency that’s not a PRESIDENTIAL election year? (Which has been McConnell’s previous excuse, although he didn’t care when he put in Coney Barrett IN A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR).
    How Republicans Can Block Stephen Breyer’s Replacement

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Like I said, unless Biden nominates the electrified corpse of Abbie Hoffman …

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    He will come up with something and the spineless Dems will just go along with it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    What makes me sad about this whole SCOTUS 2.0: dystopian future version, is RBG.

You love her, I love her, we all love her. And, she couldn't predict the future.

But, had she retired in like 2014, well...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    He will come up with something and the spineless Dems will just go along with it.
    Yeah okay. Sure.

Thanks for weighing in.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-27-2022 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    God why didn't rbg step down like ages ago. Pelosi running again at 81?! 81! Why do we have octogenarians in office at all live your life!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Pelosi running again at 81?! 81! Why do we have octogenarians in office at all live your life!
    I dunno. Good point. Likely because she’s afraid a Democratic challenger in her district might not win. Also, she’s a HUGE money-raiser. She has ways of raising shitloads of campaign funds for all Democrats. And she is pretty good at getting all the Dems to do the same thing in the House. Even the Republicans in the House aren’t doing that right now.

If the Dems win the House again, she may not run again (House terms are only 2 years at a time), but right now things are pretty fucking scary. The U.S. is on the brink of not being the U.S., anymore.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-27-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    God why didn't rbg step down like ages ago. Pelosi running again at 81?! 81! Why do we have octogenarians in office at all live your life!
    She was told to and refused. Obama was told to exert pressure on her to do so and refused also. They all thought historically unpopular Hillary Clinton was a 100% sure thing. The amount of hubris & lack of basic political strategy amongst Dem leadership is insane. Part. when you stack that against Mitch, who calculates his decisions for the Republican party literally decades ahead of time. Perfect example is the soon coming overturning of Roe, which he & others in charge of Republican strategy have been putting in place since the 80's.

Breyer only retired now b/c it helps sell his book that is about to come out. For real. Thats the reason for the timing right now...not b/c he's 1000 years old and could have a heart attavk at any moment. These people are ridiculous, corrupt ghouls who live on another planet. Guillotine all of them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Justice Clarence Thomas hospitalized 'after experiencing flu-like symptoms'
    "May he receive all the support he wished on others."
    Cold but I can't see the lie.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ketanji Brown Jackson has officially been confirmed! Thanks to a grand total of three Republicans.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-supreme-court

EDIT: I just now noticed that no one here said anything about KBJ having been nominated in the first place.
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 04-07-2022 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Even 25 years later he says it best, even with comedy.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-02-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The most compelling question about abortion is not whether it will be criminalized (I suspect it will, at least in some places), but rather, how criminally culpable are women, partners, providers, enablers, etc.? While uniformly in favor of 'outlawing abortion,' I don't recall having heard people who are pro-life or anti-Roe articulate satisfactorily what the proper penalty should be upon conviction. Are we talking probation or fines, the proverbial scarlet letter, imprisonment, death (however ironic)? And really isn't that the ultimate question? A group of only nine judges appear to be delegating that authority to hundreds (if not thousands) of state court judges. And isn't the inevitable (and vast) disparity in treatment going to be the next constitutional battleground? The slippery slope would be lousy grounds for upholding a decision that is otherwise (*according to some*) fatally flawed, for sure, but a predictable outcome nonetheless?

Food for thought, on a most interesting night in US jurisprudence and politics.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    A group of only nine judges appear to be delegating that authority to hundreds (if not thousands) of state court judges.
    Really, state legislation. Which would spell out punishment. And judges adhere to that legislation (and sentencing guidelines provided in the legislation).