Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The EGOT

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

The EGOT

I seriously doubt Trent gives a shit about this but just for fun what sort of project could Trent & Atticus do for Broadway? One path would be providing instrumental music for someone else's production. The more interesting possibility would be adapting an existing work for that forum, much like Bowie did with Lazarus. I think TDS, TF & YZ all could be candidates for that treatment. Something truly radical. Remember, this is just fantasy but what does everyone think? DISCLAIMER: I am not a fan of Broadway musicals! That being said, the original cast recording of Lazarus has some really good & interesting stuff on it. I got it due to a bad Bowie addiction. Who knew Dexter could sing?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I mean, we’re still holding out hope for the Fight Club musical, right?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Year Zero on Ice

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Ghosts I–IV performed by the cast of STOMP! and featuring Lil' Nas X (I would actually go see this)
    Last edited by botley; 09-18-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Scenes from The Roadhouse starring Balthazar Getty

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I mean, we’re still holding out hope for the Fight Club musical, right?
    why did you make me remember this? on top of the fact there's a Fight Club 2?

https://collider.com/fight-club-musi...-julie-taymor/

never mind Fight Club 3...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    So, now Trent has a Golden Globe, an Emmy, three Grammy awards, and an Oscar sitting on his mantle. Plus he's been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, too. That's pretty impressive!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    As long as Reznor and Ross weren't in direct competition with Miranda, I feel like this wouldn't be that tough for them to win. And I'd love to see a Fight Club musical that skewers the uber-manliness of it. "Is That What A Man Looks Like?" could be a "trying on hats" number when increasingly beefy men are brought out wearing less and less clothing until the most naked, most Tom of Finland fuccboi walks out and the song ends.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I think there's a solid chance some NIN songs/lyrics were originally conceived for the Fight Club musical. Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Demon Seed, Copy of A, In Two, The Idea of You, Shit Mirror... there are recurring themes of ennui/repetition/feeling like you can't wake up along with themes of having an Other growing inside you getting out, controlling you, and making you forget you did something.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    why did you make me remember this? on top of the fact there's a Fight Club 2?

https://collider.com/fight-club-musi...-julie-taymor/

never mind Fight Club 3...
    Fight Club 2 is pretty bad. I haven't picked up 3 yet, because I'm afraid it'll be more of the same.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Seriously, though, how cool would it be to see Trent on this very short list?

Richard Rodgers
    Helen Hayes
    Rita Moreno
    John Gielgud
    Audrey Hepburn
    Marvin Hamlisch
    Jonathan Tunick
    Mel Brooks
    Mike Nichols
    Whoopi Goldberg
    Scott Rudin
    Robert Lopez
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Tim Rice
    John Legend
    Alan Menken

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    That being said, the original cast recording of Lazarus has some really good & interesting stuff on it. I got it due to a bad Bowie addiction. Who knew Dexter could sing?
    Anybody who watched Michael C. Hall on Six Feet Under.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Seriously, though, how cool would it be to see Trent on this very short list?
    They're already in pretty rarified company. There are only 114 people (including TRAR) who have competitively won at least 3 of the 4 awards.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Year Zero on Ice
    Is that not just the current state of the US?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    No, most of the US is on fire.

At least the rains today helped with some of that.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I missed 6 Feet Under. Didn't have the premium channel it was on. I have managed to catch Dexter in small pieces over the years.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    And anyone who saw him star in Hedwig & The Angry Inch.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    On A Roll: The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Ashley O

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Oh fuck...did...did you just win TR/AR their Tony?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I do think there could be a Broadway production of The Downward Spiral. No, REALLY.

I can see the "Reptile" production in my head right now.

There'd be advance "Seizure" warnings for lighting in the "Mr. Self Destruct" intro segment.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-19-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I do think there could be a Broadway production of The Downward Spiral. No, REALLY.
    That kind of thing might happen someday, but I doubt it would get enough attention to garner a Tony. NIN's fan base is only so big when compared to Billy Joel or Queen or other bands who've had massively successful musicals based on their music. NIN simply doesn't have the mass appeal to bring the audience needed for a major Broadway production. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would have to really be a lighting in a bottle scenario for it to all the way to a Tony.

Aside from TR/AR writing original music for a totally new theatrical production, another option would be something like Watchmen or Soul getting a theatrical treatment. I don't think they'd be eligible for a Tony if it was just their existing music being used, but for something like that, it would make sense for them to be brought on board to expand on what they've already written. Like maybe there's a legit musical composer doing the heavy lifting, but Trent and Atticus are contributing enough to be eligible for an award.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I always felt a teensy bit out of place among NIN fans as a teen because I was a theater dork and not the dangerous, dark and cool kid that I wanted to be when listening to this music.

But this thread shows me that i've been good company the whole time. Ya'll are fucking NERDS.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    As long as they get Miley to star in it!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Honest question though - broadway is normally about songs that can be sung along to. All the West End shows i've been to - there's only a little bit of a 'background' score - and even if there is, it's very much performed by a live orchestra/band. Maybe i've not seen enough theatre.

Since 90% of TRARs score work has been the 'electronic' ambient type sound - does this work for theatre?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Honest question though - broadway is normally about songs that can be sung along to. All the West End shows i've been to - there's only a little bit of a 'background' score - and even if there is, it's very much performed by a live orchestra/band. Maybe i've not seen enough theatre.

Since 90% of TRARs score work has been the 'electronic' ambient type sound - does this work for theatre?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

If someone ADAPTED some of their work for Broadway, then yes.

e.g. They got a CMA for Old Town Road.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    when trent announced the backup singers for tension tour, I imagined something bizarre, crazy , but in the end the idea was amazing, Trent slapped my face and told me shut up, so maybe a musical cant be bad idea if Trent is happy with that.
    I would prefer something instrumental and not that kind of broadway musical with everybody singing

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

If they simply write the music or lyrics or any aspect of a musical (doesn't have to be Broadway, could be off or off off), they would be considered for a Tony. So there's actually a lot of freedom here.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That kind of thing might happen someday, but I doubt it would get enough attention to garner a Tony. NIN's fan base is only so big when compared to Billy Joel or Queen or other bands who've had massively successful musicals based on their music. NIN simply doesn't have the mass appeal to bring the audience needed for a major Broadway production. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would have to really be a lighting in a bottle scenario for it to all the way to a Tony.

Aside from TR/AR writing original music for a totally new theatrical production, another option would be something like Watchmen or Soul getting a theatrical treatment. I don't think they'd be eligible for a Tony if it was just their existing music being used, but for something like that, it would make sense for them to be brought on board to expand on what they've already written. Like maybe there's a legit musical composer doing the heavy lifting, but Trent and Atticus are contributing enough to be eligible for an award.
    I was mostly being sarcastic. But, on the other hand, on Broadway, a narrative would be required; characters, dialogue, a script. There'd have to be a protagonist, a "journey" of sorts, a theme, and I was thinking along the lines of Cirque du Soleil meets Hamilton. The music wouldn't be the total focus, not the Beatles "Love" in Vegas, so much as bringing the TDS character to life, and underlying narrative and power-struggle, and then adapt the music in some "theater" way. With choreography, even. And circus performers and dancers, maybe in the audience, like Cats.

Weirder shit has won Tonys.

All this being said, some of these EGOT winners got Tonys and didn't perform or contribute artistically at all. They received honorary awards or were just "involved" in some way, via production ($$), etc.

Or, someone takes the Social Network movie and turns it into a play about what a dick Zuck is and uses some of the same music, adapted, and TR/AR do absolutely nothing, and it wins a Tony.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-20-2020 at 01:31 PM.