Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The EGOT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Tonys aren't just musicals. They also cover plays. It's entirely possible that TR/AR could come up with a play or create a score for a play, such as last year's stage adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Remember, a lot of people thought Lin-Manuel Miranda was insane to come up with a hip-hop musical about America's first Treasury Secretary. Looked what happened with that. And a musical or play from TR/AR could be one of those things that, like Hamilton, is so crazy it works!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah, there are a number of surprising ways this could happen, but keep in mind Trent and Atticus aren't writers, so it's unlikely they would win in any category other than music (an exception could be something like Year Zero, where someone else writes it, but they get original story credit).

But yes, there is a Tony for Best Original Score, so it's not impossible that they could provide the score to a play without even having to be otherwise involved in its production. It could be as simple as someone they respect contacting them, TR/AR sending some music back, and voila, they win a Tony without doing anything beyond providing some tunes.

But then it becomes a question of them not running in theater circles, so there probably aren't a dozen theater people they're dying to work with like with film and television. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. They could get contacted by someone they've never heard of and decide to take it on, or someone they've worked with or respect in film could be working on a theatrical project and reach out to them.

And of course, all of this depends on, you know, theater existing again.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I could see them wanting to work with the guy who worked with Bowie on Lazarus.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Yeah, there are a number of surprising ways this could happen, but keep in mind Trent and Atticus aren't writers, so it's unlikely they would win in any category other than music (an exception could be something like Year Zero, where someone else writes it, but they get original story credit).

But yes, there is a Tony for Best Original Score, so it's not impossible that they could provide the score to a play without even having to be otherwise involved in its production. It could be as simple as someone they respect contacting them, TR/AR sending some music back, and voila, they win a Tony without doing anything beyond providing some tunes.

But then it becomes a question of them not running in theater circles, so there probably aren't a dozen theater people they're dying to work with like with film and television. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. They could get contacted by someone they've never heard of and decide to take it on, or someone they've worked with or respect in film could be working on a theatrical project and reach out to them.

And of course, all of this depends on, you know, theater existing again.
    Yes, all of this. Scott Rudin is the producer whose name springs immediately to mind; he's worked a lot with Fincher on his films and also does plenty of Broadway stuff. It looks to me as though the earliest we're going to see the Tony Awards return is in Year Zero itself, 2022.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, there are a number of surprising ways this could happen, but keep in mind Trent and Atticus aren't writers, so it's unlikely they would win in any category other than music
    Not true. There’s adaptation. Someone could take, say, TDS or YZ, turn it into a play. He still gets the Tony, even if he has nothing to do with the Broadway show.

Or, there’s investing. Putting money into a Broadway show also wins you a Tony if it wins a Tony.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Not true. There’s adaptation. Someone could take, say, TDS or YZ, turn it into a play. He still gets the Tony, even if he has nothing to do with the Broadway show.
    Yeah, I said that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can they win if someone adapts Johnny Cash life to theater and it has Hurt in it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dive And Slam: The Newest Number In STOMP

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Can they win if someone adapts Johnny Cash life to theater and it has Hurt in it?
    Only if they either were commissioned to create original music for it, or either financed or produced it. The Original Score award goes to music written specifically for the stage, so most songs in jukebox musicals don't qualify. The Best Orchestration award goes to arrangements and orchestration of the music. In other words, if TR/AR were tasked with converting the music to be played by an orchestra they could qualify. Then again, would Rosanne Cash and John Carter Cash want to have TR/AR do the music for a jukebox musical about their father?
    Last edited by leo3375; 09-21-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, what you just described is basically the reverse of the American Recordings albums where instead of Johnny Cash doing other artist's songs you have TR/AR doing Johnny Cash songs. how do we bug the Cash family to get this going?

though if we get them doing a version of his cover of "Hurt" I'm pretty sure a singularity will be formed.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    With Rent

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    TRAR are hopefully on their way to an EGOT, but at least they have an EGGO right now! :LOL:

I think we can't limit our thinking as to what they might come up with for a theatre production, and its inspiring to see David Byrne and
    others pave the way.

Trent has held critical acclaim for a long time, it's nice to finally see more of it bubble to the surface in recognition.

All I know is, if I ever become President, I promise I'll award them the Presidential Medal of Freedom and make a few calls to the Kennedy Center Honors committee.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There was talk awhile of Roger Waters and Harvey Weinstein (yeah, it was awhile ago) producing a version of The Wall for Broadway. I thought Trent would have made a perfect Pink, if he had to do as much acting as Geldof did for the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If they ever did a Broadway version of Metropolis I think TRAR would be perfect to score it.
    It's such an amazing movie. I saw it performed live with the Alloy Orchestra and it was heavily percussive, fit the movie perfectly. There are so many intense scenes and so much about machinery they could really do something incredible.

I mean I don't know if you can top the original, but updating it and placing it in a new medium like live performance could be really amazing.... Man I want to help write it and make this happen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, I said that.
    A playwright can take a NIN song and use it as the “inspiration” for the basis of a play (not musical), even if the original material is nearly unrecognizable is what I meant.

You’re right, though, that none of this is very likely. It’d end up like Sting’s “The Last Ship.” Eek.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    The Tonys aren't just musicals. They also cover plays. It's entirely possible that TR/AR could come up with a play or create a score for a play, such as last year's stage adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Remember, a lot of people thought Lin-Manuel Miranda was insane to come up with a hip-hop musical about America's first Treasury Secretary. Looked what happened with that. And a musical or play from TR/AR could be one of those things that, like Hamilton, is so crazy it works!
    See also what PJ Harvey did with All About Eve

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My primary genre is alt rock/metal/grunge. My vinyl collection and Spotify playlists include various OSTs and composers, classical/chamber/baroque, jazz, country rock, pop, etc... I've even listened to traditional Iranian chants.... I like to think I am pretty open...

... but fucking musicals I cannot stand.

They are entertaining and all... but... ugh.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    My primary genre is alt rock/metal/grunge. My vinyl collection and Spotify playlists include various OSTs and composers, classical/chamber/baroque, jazz, country rock, pop, etc... I've even listened to traditional Iranian chants.... I like to think I am pretty open...

Have you listened to Hamilton? It's a musical, but it has a lot of hip-hop and R&B in it. I've seen plenty of reaction videos on YouTube from people who don't generally like musicals say that they really enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I started to watch La La Land because of all the hype and had to turn it off because the first song routine annoyed me so much! I’m totally with you on musicals but I’m convinced a TRAR scored Fight Club musical could work

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just take some acid and go watch Cats. 100% Rob Sheridan-approved method to get into musicals.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I'm thinking that there's some sort of chance that "Soul" will get the Broadway treatment. I realize that these things don't matter in the big picture (the music does!) but it would be pretty cool if Trent & Atticus reached the EGOT milestone just to show what a diverse talent they have. I think Bowie would be proud of them if he was still with us. I think teaming up with Jon Batiste was pretty cool, too & very successful. Batiste is another super talented guy & the pairing up worked well. DISCLAIMER: I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals with very few exceptions. I did enjoy the "Soul" film though & think that maybe it could be adapted into something worthwhile in that medium.