Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: M83

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Love the new M83. At first I thought some of the instrumental transitions were unnecessary (double albums pretty much have to have them, and they're often fluff), but now I love them and I feel they're all essential to the album's flow. And it's so huge! I didn't think an M83 album could possibly get any bigger. I'm actually afraid to see what he comes out with next.
    The transitions really connect everything together. I love them. If you haven't noticed already, the transitions are all in the exact same spots on both discs. Each disc represents one of the two kids on the album cover, and they both mirror each other, sound wise, and structurally. Once I discovered this, I started listening to the album in an entirely different context and now I appreciate it even more than I already did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The transitions really connect everything together. I love them. If you haven't noticed already, the transitions are all in the exact same spots on both discs. Each disc represents one of the two kids on the album cover, and they both mirror each other, sound wise, and structurally. Once I discovered this, I started listening to the album in an entirely different context and now I appreciate it even more than I already did.
    Yeah the way the two discs mirror each other is literally explained by the track Mirror, which is a free downloadable thing that you're supposed to put in between Soon, My Friend and My Tears Are Becoming A Sea. (Why it wasn't included in the actual package is a frustrating mystery to me, however. Is it hidden somehow? Egghh.) But I didn't connect it to the two kids, I don't feel like one disc is more masculine or feminine than the other. But I did notice how impeccable the sequencing is - how the ballads (Wait and Splendor) are placed in the same slot, as well as both the epic climaxes of the album (Claudia Lewis and Steve McQueen), and the two instrumental transitions that lead to the finale on each disc (This Bright Flash > Soon, My Friend; Echoes of Mine > Outro). It's better and better the more I think about it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I just grabbed tickets for M83 and big black delta tonight. flipping stoked.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    M83 is playing in Seattle and I don't know if I should go see the show. Which songs/album would you recommend? Which bands are similar to him? I only know that JMJ produced his latest album and that's why I'm curious about this "band".

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I made a spotify playlist from last nights set list. Enjoy!

M83 1/13/12 N

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you should DEF. see M83. with their newest material, they now have a good mix of shoegazey & dancey material, but all of still has a somewhat epic tilt to it, sorry if that sounds corny but it works. They are generally piano/synth based, but have a full band on stage and al play multiple instruments. Gonzalez has their female singer Morgan Kibby tour with them too, andher voice is beautiful, and she's real nice to look at from the neck down as well. See them now, b/c they're blowing up and will only be playing obnoxiously large venues from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Morgan Kibby looks just like Shannon Woodward

Anyway, since I missed out on Coachella tickets, I'll have to find another way to see them

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm new to the group, I heard their remix of Depeche Mode's Suffer Well as well as Midnight City on the radio. Both are awesome! Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Start with Saturdays=Youth which is arguably their best. Then, if you're up to it, listen to Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (I say that because it's a double album and can be tough to digest for someone relatively new to M83). If you like that just keep working backward from there, in my opinion the quality of the music decreases as you go back chronologically. He's definitely improved his sound.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tour's been extended into fall.

06-01 Barcelona, Spain - Primavera Festival
    06-03 Vienna, Austria - Arena Vienna (Big Hall)
    06-04 Budapest, Hungary - A38
    06-05 Zagreb, Croatia - Culture Factory
    06-06 Bologna, Italy - Estragon
    06-10 Marseille, France - Dock des Suds
    06-11 Lyon, France - Le Transbordeur
    06-12 Paris, France - Olympia
    06-15 Seinajoki, Finland - Provinssirock 2012
    06-21 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
    06-22 Scheessel, Germany - Hurricane Festival
    06-24 Neuhausen, Germany - Southside Festival
    06-26 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Mandela Hall
    06-27 Edinburgh, Scotland - Picture House
    06-29 Arendal, Norway - Hove Festival
    07-01 Arras, France - Main Square Festival
    07-08 Luik, Belgium - Les Ardentes
    07-12 Luxembourg City, Luxembourg - Rockhal
    07-14 Gräfenhainichen, Germany - Melt Festival
    07-16 London, England - Somerset House
    07-22 Biarritz, France - La Halle Iraty
    08-01 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
    08-02 Munhall, PA - Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead
    08-03 Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    08-04 Toronto, Canada - Fort York
    08-05 Montreal, Quebec - Osheaga Festival
    08-07 Portland, ME - State Theatre
    08-08 New York, NY - Summerstage
    08-31 San Diego, CA - Soma
    09-05 Edmonton, Alberta - Edmonton Event Centre
    09-06 Calgary, Alberta - Mac Ewan Ballroom
    09-27 Lake Buena Vista, FL - House of Blues Orlando
    09-30 Norfolk, VA -NorVa
    10-02 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
    10-09 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues New Orleans
    10-10 Houston, TX - Bayou Music Center
    10-11 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom

If you're a fan of M83 on Facebook, a select few cities have already started selling tickets.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I HAVE to try to get tickets to a show this tour :\ I was so pissed when I got into M83 like two months ago, and the show in Lawrence the other day was already sold out.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I HAVE to try to get tickets to a show this tour :\ I was so pissed when I got into M83 like two months ago, and the show in Lawrence the other day was already sold out.
    Oh man, dude. You missed one hell of a show. It was phenomenal. At the end of Couleurs, Anthony Gonzalez jumped in the crowd with his guitar and madness ensued. The whole place was a hot sweaty rave practically the entire time. Sooooo good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I saw that they fucking played their remix of "Fall." I absolutely LOVE that remix! I'll drive 8 hours out of my way just for the chance to see it, heh. I'm really glad you got to go, though! The venue's great, and it probably would've been killer to meet ya in person finally. :P

There are so many things about this band that make me wish I'd gotten into them sooner. Not to mention that all of Hurry Up, We're Dreaming makes me feel like I want to be a kid again.

Oh, and to see one of those shows they played with Big Black Delta? I would have literally traded off my balls if it would have got me there.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Richard, looks like we weren't that far from each other, judging by the video. Were you on the left rail side right behind the "pit"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Three weeks till I see Anthony! I managed to get the next day off work which is nice, so I can crash after the show or stay up late if I want. If he plays Couleurs I will cry.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Richard, looks like we weren't that far from each other, judging by the video. Were you on the left rail side right behind the "pit"?
    Yeah! I was literally right next to the staircase going down to the floor, with a big group of people dancin' my ass off.

Three weeks till I see Anthony! I managed to get the next day off work which is nice, so I can crash after the show or stay up late if I want. If he plays Couleurs I will cry.
    they WILL play Couleurs and you WILL cry. It was fucking glorious.
    Last edited by richardp; 05-03-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Wait a sec. . .were you there with JohninKC? *facepalm*

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Wait a sec. . .were you there with JohninKC? *facepalm*
    Woah, yeah! Were you the one who came with him, has the SuONIO, and literally stood next to me the whole show? Shit, such a small world!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yes! He mentioned that you and Ryan were big NIN fans but I didn't even think to mention ets.

*waves hello*

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i always thought M83 would be a good opener for NIN. now theyre too big.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm very excited for the Detroit show tonight!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Who else is seeing them at Sound Academy right now?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tomorrow in buffalo!!! Can't wait!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    M83 would be a good opener for NIN
    Ultimate fantasy.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Ultimate fantasy.
    I should've said this earlier, but that comment just made my current ultimate concert fantasy even better = Big Black Delta/Sonoio/M83/HTDA.

(Of course, NIN could take place with HTDA, or even be included :P It's a fantasy, after all!)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Screw that. NIN should be opening for M83. When trent puts out another Epic Masterpiece, then we can talk again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Screw that. NIN should be opening for M83. When trent puts out another Epic Masterpiece, then we can talk again...
    Does not compute

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    trolling HARD. well played sir.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    teeheehee