Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco - Babysitter (feat. Trent Reznor)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Tobacco - Babysitter (feat. Trent Reznor)

New Tobacco song "Babysitter (feat. Trent Reznor) to premiere in 13 hours.

[EDIT] Link to buy and preview audio.
    Last edited by p_rez17; 08-04-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rez17 View Post

Holy shit. I always thought it would be cool for them to collaborate, but I never thought it would actually happen. Can't wait to hear it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This made my fucking day.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)

Really looking forward to that. Hope TR has some prominent vocal parts.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Lol

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Lol

"I’m sorry to... differ with you, Mr. Reznor, but you are The Babysitter. You’ve always been The Babysitter. I should know, sir. I’ve always been here (with my fellow posh chum Atticus)."

*queue eerie connection to the supposed Overlook score that didn’t happen*

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Well I'm not getting much out of this, It's a chicken leg with hardly any meat on the bone.

Production is fine, it doesn't sound bad but i don't have much desire to listen to it more than once.

Trent's inclusion doesn't make or break it, he's just kinda there if you can parse through all the distortion.

All in all not very eventful to me.
    Exactly. Not what I was hoping for when I think of a Tobacco/Trent Reznor collab. Maybe if they did an entire album together of stuff like this, it would be remarkable. Didn’t Trent say he wanted to do more collaborations in the future? If you weren’t told he was on this track, you’d never even know..

Spoiler: Of course, I preordered the vinyl anyway, because it’s Tobacco..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Damn, that's some crazy sht! I may have to get into this guy that's cool

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Since I haven't seen it posted here yet...

"And what would Trent Reznor do? Fec found his answer straight from the source. Their collaborative track, “Babysitter,” fuses their voices into one deranged presence: “I’m the new babysitter,” they alert, before pivoting into a menacingly saccharine bridge. The track tumbles on a tom fill, then a punishing synth line rips into a cacophony of drums and feedback like a lawnmower gnawing through the living room carpet. “This was new for me, but I wanted to write a song that was everything I am and have been, and then like one notch further. Trent was the notch further,” adds Fec. The collaboration is a work of alchemy seamlessly blending TOBACCO’s trademarks with Reznor’s industrial rust and sonic gore." (source)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    According to my Last.fm, I've listened to this track nearly 25 times within a 24-hour span. Holy fuck is this good. Tobacco never disappoints and now to have Trent on a track?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don’t care for this. It just does nothing for me. Oh well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Will this track be on the album coming out in October?
    The only physical item I see available is the t-shirt, which they mention bundling with the minidisc.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    Yep.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    The only physical item I see available is the t-shirt, which they mention bundling with the minidisc.
    https://tobaxxo.bandcamp.com/album/hot-wet-sassy

Buy cd, vinyl, cassette here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    https://tobaxxo.bandcamp.com/album/hot-wet-sassy

Buy cd, vinyl, cassette here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    another Bandcamp Friday is coming up tomorrow so wait a couple hours and more will go to the artist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    another Bandcamp Friday is coming up tomorrow so wait a couple hours and more will go to the artist.
    Yep, thats what Im doing, I think Im gonna grab a tape. Im a little sad that bandcamp fridays dont apply to artist subscriptions, my Skelt Krew subscription (garbageface’s subscription service) is due next week.

Edit: Welp, that didnt happen since it was gonna be an extra $17 shipping on an $11 tape. Maybe next bandcamp say Ill think about again.
    Last edited by EvilGobi; 08-08-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Well I'm not getting much out of this, It's a chicken leg with hardly any meat on the bone.

Production is fine, it doesn't sound bad but i don't have much desire to listen to it more than once.

Trent's inclusion doesn't make or break it, he's just kinda there if you can parse through all the distortion.

All in all not very eventful to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I dig it! It sounds so warped and noisy, but in an awesome way. I hadn't listened to Tobacco in ages, gotta give Fucked Up Friends another spin for sure! I really liked Sweatbox Dynasty when that came out too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I totally understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone. But it's funny to see some few comments here and there (reddit/facebook/youtube/etc..) from NIN fans saying: "I don't like it, it's just noise".

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    "I don't like it, it's just noise".
    heh, it's why I DO like it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I totally understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone. But it's funny to see some few comments here and there (reddit/facebook/youtube/etc..) from NIN fans saying: "I don't like it, it's just noise".
    Haha, yeah. It's surprising some NIN fans can't get into it. Just like NIN, it's a fairly poppy verse-prechorus-chorus song with some really cool melodies and a bunch of fun noise. The only major difference is the distortion of the vocals (which NIN has done plenty, but rarely to this degree).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's not bad, it's freaking weird, which is part of its appeal for me. Listening to it makes me feel like this:

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't think this is really that weird at all, but I guess I listen to what a lot of people would call "weird music."
    It kicks ass though. Really fun track.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Great track. The whole thing reminds of of Black Bomb.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I dig the noisy abrasiveness of the song. I do not dig the fact Trent is on the song for 15 seconds....If you have fucking Trent Reznor guesting on your song. Let him do lead vocals....Learn something from Josh Wink

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I dig the noisy abrasiveness of the song. I do not dig the fact Trent is on the song for 15 seconds....If you have fucking Trent Reznor guesting on your song. Let him do lead vocals....Learn something from Josh Wink
    Wha? He's on the whole track.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Wha? He's on the whole track.

Has that been confirmed? So much distortion you can't really tell if its Trent or Tom Fec doing vox until the last 20 secs when its clearly TR

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Has that been confirmed? So much distortion you can't really tell if its Trent or Tom Fec doing vox until the last 20 secs when its clearly TR
    I don't know about confirmed, but it's pretty clear to me. The way he pronounces "time," the falsetto thing he's been doing a lot more these days, the breathy Trent voice on "ear" and "tier" – it all sounds like unmistakable Trent to me, regardless of the distortion.

I think there was an article saying that Tom fused his and Trent's voices together throughout.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I think there was an article saying that Tom fused his and Trent's voices together throughout.
    From here:

"And what would Trent Reznor do? Fec found his answer straight from the source. Their collaborative track, “Babysitter,” fuses their voices into one deranged presence: “I’m the new babysitter,” they alert, before pivoting into a menacingly saccharine bridge. The track tumbles on a tom fill, then a punishing synth line rips into a cacophony of drums and feedback like a lawnmower gnawing through the living room carpet. “This was new for me, but I wanted to write a song that was everything I am and have been, and then like one notch further. Trent was the notch further,” adds Fec. The collaboration is a work of alchemy seamlessly blending TOBACCO’s trademarks with Reznor’s industrial rust and sonic gore."
    My ears tell me that Trent's voice is definitely mixed in with Fec's for at least most of the track. The vocoder vocals don't sound quite the same as they do on other Tobacco tracks. Also, there's some patented swarm guitar in the "you don't love me love me love me" part. I definitely love how they blur the lines between who is doing what. That's proper collaboration.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-10-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I haven't had this much fun with a TR feature since El-P's Flyentology.