Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Probe Club and Helter Skelter Club in 1994

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Probe Club and Helter Skelter Club in 1994

Dear community,

I have a trouble with the first Warm up 1994 date.

It's used to be said Probe Club is Helter Skelter.

Sources :
    https://www.nin.wiki/Self_Destruct_Warm-up
    https://www.theninhotline.com/nin_hi...our_dates.html

I never really checked this before and always deal with Helter Skelter (enough proof of this gig at Helter with a review 2 days after the show).

An Article on Cash box deasl with a Probe Club gig during warm up.

This club name existed since 1978 until 1999
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/74625701521/about/

"PROBE was a private membership night club in Los Angeles, from 1978-1999. We welcomed adults there and here. Keep in mind that this is an open group and is visible to the public..New page members with no idea of how Probe was different from most other clubs can get a limited impression from viewing the few brief scenes filmed in the club for the 1980 film "American Gigolo" -starring Richard Gere. In addition, Probe was home to other promotions -each with a different name and music format that in total, included nearly every kind of customer base imaginable! Active participation is encouraged by all generations and variations of our PROBE family including entertainment professionals, members, guests, visitors from the few clubs whose members we welcomed as our own, and all of our friends -old & new! "

Helter Skelter existed since 1989.

why telling that the club is the same are both exist in 1994 ?
    Can't NIN played a day before a private gig there before Helter Skelter ?
    Probe seems to be a perfect place for a "sexual" show by the way!

I try to find a radical proof of the Probe show but at this time can't find.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Helter Skelter was more of a promoter event/brand, rather than the actual venue name. Think of it like “Thursday nights is Helter Skelter night at ________ night club!”

This article might also help clarify:

https://www.laweekly.com/la-flashbac...elter-skelter/

So the venue was the Probe nightclub, but it was a Helter Skelter-sponsored event.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's now clearer for me.. I will change the venue and add a little explanation.

It's strange the 1994 review deals with "Helter Skelter Club".. this is in fact "Helter Skelter spirit" inside Probe Club.

Cash box is right with his echo.

very big thank

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Here are some articles/recollections on Helter Skelter at different locations, including the Stardust Ballroom, Probe, and an abandoned Chinese restaurant(??):

https://www.starvox.net/crypt/dr/germany2.htm
    https://www.vamp.org/gothic/text/anthro.html
    https://www.facebook.com/RevThomasTh...88252907911506

I think Stardust Ballroom was its first and longest tenured location, and as such, "Helter Skelter" and "Helter Skelter, Stardust Ballroom" were often used interchangeably on tickets and posters and such. But given that Helter Skelter was apparently at multiple other locations over the years, I think it's important at this point to distinguish the actual venue name/location. That's why I label the 1990 and 1991 NIN gigs as "Helter Skelter @ Stardust Ballroom," to distinguish them.

Similarly, for the next night in 1994 in San Francisco, I think it was "Oasis @ Temple".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There were other recordings of Helter skelter that everyone should hear. I've been planning to record the song and add additional beat from the one of the soundtrack of Kindom Rush, an online game which boosts the users strategic skills to defend their tower and sniff their own farts. I will make it a non-stop playlist and maybe include some points from gacha life pc by lunime dress up unique characters, play mini games, and gacha in gacha life! By the way these games are available on Chrome store for free, if you're child molesters like the folks in the marketing department at Lunime.
    Last edited by mayathegreat; 08-24-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    What weird fuckin' spam. I fixed it. Carry on.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    What weird fuckin' spam. I fixed it. Carry on.
    I guess I'll never boost my strategic skills to defend my tower AND sniff my own farts

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    A lot of "darker alternative" clubs never have a fixed location due to the cost of rent/upkeep, etc. Many of the clubs i went to in the 90s bounced around from location to location but it was always "The Kitchen Club" or "The Church" no matter the location.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don’t get this kind of spam, doesn’t it take a lot of effort to tailor spam to a website by talking about the actual website content?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have found a ticket of 1991-02-05 : there is not even an echo of helter skelter on.. only Stardust Ballroom.
    This is clear now for me

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Here are some articles/recollections on Helter Skelter at different locations, including the Stardust Ballroom, Probe, and an abandoned Chinese restaurant(??):
    A strangely large amount of clubs in LA's punk heyday were Chinese restaurants!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Helter Skelter was the club night that had several venues throughout much of the late 80s up until the end of the 90s. There were several PHM era shows at Helter Skelter which took place at the Stardust Ball. By 1994, Helter had moved to the Probe, where NIN played a warm up show.

Trent used to go hang out at Helter Skelter during the recording of the Downward Spiral. Not often, but on several occasions.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bractune View Post
    Trent used to go hang out at Helter Skelter during the recording of the Downward Spiral. Not often, but on several occasions.
    This is quite apt, of course, given the connection between the Beatles track "Helter Skelter" and Charles Manson, whose followers committed the murder of Sharon Tate in the house at 10050 Cielo Drive in which The Downward Spiral was recorded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    This is quite apt, of course, given the connection between the Beatles track "Helter Skelter" and Charles Manson, whose followers committed the murder of Sharon Tate in the house at 10050 Cielo Drive in which The Downward Spiral was recorded.
    While I guess it is apt, that whole thing is a matter of coincidence. The club had been named that long before NIN was even a thing, let alone recorded in the Tate house. Also from all accounts, the NIN crew did not know it was the Tate house until after they moved in.