Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: NIN reference material

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question NIN reference material

Hi all. Brand new member here. Glad to find such a devoted community after so many years adrift.

I'm planning to start a writing project: a blog covering every NIN song, remix, collaboration, film score I'm aware of. It will cover the conception, recording, release, and revision of every song in chronological order starting (for now) with Purest Feeling.

What I'm requesting is any leads on reference material. Beyond the liner notes (which I'm obviously poring over), I'd like to get my bearings for each song: where were Trent & co. at artistically (and to some extent personally) at any given time? What were the prominent influences? The cultural and pop-culture touchstones that might've affected the music? What instruments were used? What recording innovations?

Can anyone recommend books and websites that will steer me in the right direction to investigate these things? Any leads will be welcome. And thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dxdt View Post
    Hi all. Brand new member here. Glad to find such a devoted community after so many years adrift.

I'm planning to start a writing project: a blog covering every NIN song, remix, collaboration, film score I'm aware of. It will cover the conception, recording, release, and revision of every song in chronological order starting (for now) with Purest Feeling.

What I'm requesting is any leads on reference material. Beyond the liner notes (which I'm obviously poring over), I'd like to get my bearings for each song: where were Trent & co. at artistically (and to some extent personally) at any given time? What were the prominent influences? The cultural and pop-culture touchstones that might've affected the music? What instruments were used? What recording innovations?

Can anyone recommend books and websites that will steer me in the right direction to investigate these things? Any leads will be welcome. And thanks in advance!
    https://www.nin.wiki/Main_Page

lots of stuff on the ninwiki, but that's all i've got. i'm sure some other folks will have ideas!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dxdt View Post

Kinda like Pushing Ahead of the Dame? Great idea!

One of your fellow ETS community members, @botley , began a similar project a few years back. I adored the work he began, and would love to see it continued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Is "A Warm Place" kinda like "Crystal Japan?" Yes, absolutely. I love the Bowie blog, and I have both of the author's books too.

And thanks for the pointer; I will definitely check out the ninsongs blog as well!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Kinda like Pushing Ahead of the Dame? Great idea!

One of your fellow ETS community members, @botley , began a similar project a few years back. I adored the work he began, and would love to see it continued.
    Yes please! I am too busy to maintain such a site now, but it was a great idea...