Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: The Mars Volta

Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Vigil is awful. Stop being polite people. All the released songs are awful. Sound nothing like what anyone wants from this band.
    i've disliked all of them so far, honestly. i also thought noctourniquet was boring as hell, and this feels like a step further toward boring.

everything they put out up through octahedron was so fun and powerful and interesting and unique and now i just feel like they're A Band™

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    For those not in the know about the band's private lives. Cedric and his wife used to be Scientologists. His wife is who turned him on to the cult. They started to distance themselves from the cult when his wife started to open up about the abuse (incl. sexual) she'd had to endure for years. Among others by that one guy from That 70s Show. They are out now. This song - and allegedly the entire album - refers to this ordeal.
    Cedric even claims Masterson and the other Scientologists poisoned his dog, and went on to blast other famous people in the cult including Juliette Lewis, Brad Wilk (sigh...) and, of course, Beck.

https://metalinjection.net/metal-cri...killed-his-dog

Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've disliked all of them so far, honestly. i also thought noctourniquet was boring as hell, and this feels like a step further toward boring.

everything they put out up through octahedron was so fun and powerful and interesting and unique and now i just feel like they're A Bandô
    Their sound feels like a natural evolution similar to early prog bands that embraced synth and electro-based elements/arrangements once Punk and New Wave hit.

The singles/tracks still feel incredibly abbreviated, but I find myself enjoying them more upon repeat listens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Cedric even claims Masterson and the other Scientologists poisoned his dog, and went on to blast other famous people in the cult including Juliette Lewis, Brad Wilk (sigh...) and, of course, Beck.

In my early twenties I used to be in a relationship with a woman who turned out to have been born into an influential cult and who had carefully been trying to indoctrinate me through feelgood selfhelp platitudes wrapped in myth. They couldn't get dirt on me so she eventually just made shit up and got other members to back her claims. I was trapped in fear for two years of that relationship. Was abused through most of it. I eventually managed to get out, because my mental state had deteriorated so much that I ceased being interesting. They still went scorched earth about me in the field I had been trying to get a foothold in and I was stalked for three years. Still recovering from the trauma more than a decade later. I'm with Cedric on calling out all influential cultist mofos around. Whether they are dianetics simps or hard rock cafe fanboys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post

I had no idea about Brad Wilk, that's disappointing.

Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    I totally 100% believe all that he's saying about the Scientologists poisoning his dog and making his life hell. Fuck them. They are an evil cult, and even though I think those series of docs from Leah Remini might be a little too dramatic in spots, she's managed to highlight something in a very real way that needs to be understood. Scientology is a dangerous bullshit thing that needs to be called out. Actually... I'd call them a terrorist group at this point.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Welp, I never got into Mars Volta (outside of Deloused) before and those new songs certainly don't help anything lol