Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mars Volta

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Apparently,if you buy the first three singles you get the fourth one and the new album for free two weeks prior to release.(July). The same applies to Butcherettes and the Tremulant EP remaster.
    http://nadiesound.com/album/antemasque

The fact that they are using the Mars Volta fb page and even use Mars Volta material for promotion kinda hints their reunion in the future,right? I feel like they're going to work on MV stuff again but they don't want to hype it up for the sake of promoting Antemasque.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tremulant Remaster? Interesting.

(here's the link for those who'll ask WHERE??? http://nadiesound.com/album/tremulant-ep)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    The fact that they are using the Mars Volta fb page and even use Mars Volta material for promotion kinda hints their reunion in the future,right? I feel like they're going to work on MV stuff again but they don't want to hype it up for the sake of promoting Antemasque.
    I don't think it necessarily means Volta are coming back. It just makes sense to use channels where your built-in fanbase already exists to let them know about something new that they might not know about if the band started from scratch. Certainly can't blame them for that. Plus Omar re-releasing the Volta catalog remastered is exciting in its own right. I just hope they use the opportunity to remaster as a chance to get rid of clipping and compression that plagues many Volta releases and release a truly dynamic presentation of the recordings, now that they're free from record label and radio pressure to conform to a certain sound/volume.

I lurk around the Volta message board, The Comatorium, and word over there from those close to the guys is that Antemasque is the focus for Ced & Omar for the foreseeable future and if Volta does happen in the future, it will be years later with a couple of live shows for fans, ala At The Drive-In in 2012.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Good point. The fact that they are in good terms with each other leaves that door open though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The Mars Volta

Man, I gotta admit this project is fantastic.

It's just fun in a way that TMV hadn't been in awhile.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Uhm, anyone aware of this?

http://www.discogs.com/Mars-Volta-De...elease/5655882

Apparently there's a re-release of De-Loused on vinyl coming out? Any word on it?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Old news you should come check out the vinyl thread where we've been talking about this release

It's getting the gold repressing as we'll as a silver repressing (both LE) and then a standard black edition repress

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah, i pre-ordered the silver pressing and i'm quite excited.

i'm a little worried about that site (shop radio cast), though...i ordered two of The Dear Hunter's records from them about three weeks ago, and my account just says "shipped" but offers no tracking option...and they haven't arrived yet. has anyone ordered from them before?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I've ordered from them before and sadly they are known for shipping delays, but you do get your items eventually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just bought my tix to see Antemasque in San Antonio and Austin! Anybody else going to catch them? Do you think they'll play only new songs/covers or do you think we'll get any ATDI/Mars Volta songs? As much as I'd love to hear some old songs, I have a feeling they probably won't do that...

And for those that bought the singles, the album should come out next week! Very excited...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Antemasque has dropped for those who preordered.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    After a couple of listens I definitely prefer Mars Volta - I know I'll get bored of this quickly. It's a decent album though, Providence is a ripper.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is an entirely different kinda beast. I think fans of At The Drive-In are gonna dig this more than TMV fans. Luckily I'm a fan of both

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Still waiting on my pre-order download email, but getting antsy... PM anyone?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think you had to do more than just preorder, like buy one of the reissued Tremulant EP or Le Butcherettes.

It's definitely a different beast, and I am a fan of both TMV and ATDI, I just think both are better. This is by no means bad though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just got my 180g blue/white marbled amputechture in the mail! #0414/1250

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    still cannot believe these MOV reissues are unofficial. i swear they only do legit licensing, so Universal must have opted for the contracts and left the band out of the equation (like The Downward Spiral and the Dream Theater catalogue, though DT seem to have purposely licensed to Brookvale so the label just did the others). i guess the vinyls are more like... semi-official. wish they'd hurry up and do Frances! that's at the top of my list and has been since 2005!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    I think you had to do more than just preorder, like buy one of the reissued Tremulant EP or Le Butcherettes.

It's definitely a different beast, and I am a fan of both TMV and ATDI, I just think both are better. This is by no means bad though.
    You had to buy the 4 songs that were available at the preorder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can someone explain to me what the fuck happened between Omar And Cedric? Cedric threw a hissy fit on twitter and got all 8th grade emo girl on Omar bitching about TMV then they decide it's all gravy and make a NEW BAND and NEW ALBUM and do a mini tour? Seriously, like they have the most dysfunctional love-hate relationship.

Can't say I really dig Antemasque and I have tried really hard. I have a special place in my heart for TMV and always will. I even once stole Cedric's phone number from a groupie I used to know and stored it in my phone and called him from *67. He never answered and his voice mail greeting was kinda weird. I shoulda left a message. I lost that phone a few days later. Karma is a bitch.

When I meet Jon Theodore next in a few weeks I'm gonna ask him who is the woman in the relationship between Omar and Cedric

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MONKEYlovesYOU View Post
    I even once stole Cedric's phone number from a groupie I used to know and stored it in my phone and called him from *67. He never answered and his voice mail greeting was kinda weird. I shoulda left a message.
    You are one weird fuck!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't know exactly what happened, but apparently Cedric told Omar to get over his mother's death already. Something along those lines, I don't know the whole story. At least we got many good albums from TMV. A break may be good, they'll come back to it I reckon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I pulled out Cryptomnesia the other day for kicks. It was definitely pretty cool. This Antemasque stuff is just okay.

I don't get their reluctance to focus on the TMV moniker. Cryptomnesia was for all intents and purposes a TMV album. So is this Antemasque. So was the Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Group when they toured on the Nocturniquet songs before the actual album release.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm digging Antemasque, but the song 50,000 Kilowatts sounds like some sort of bad stock rock music. Yet, despite my cringing during the song, I keep coming back to it. Probably for the bridge.

I must also throw in my hopes for a new Mars Volta album at some point. My favorite albums by them are Amputecture and Bedlam, so something crazy and sprawling would be awesome! Although I understand and appreciate their desire to change things up and go in a different direction on the last two albums, I thought they fell a bit flat

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    When I meet Jon Theodore next in a few weeks I'm gonna ask him who is the woman in the relationship between Omar and Cedric
    uh, neither, because they're both men? :: eye roll ::

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I reckon they take turns.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    As someone who has followed them pretty closely (tho not number stealing closely), this was my understanding of what happened:

* Cedric got married, to a lady who is heavy into Scientology, which drove a wedge between him and Omar. People seem to think she filled Cedric's head with ideas of Omar hogging all the credit and not giving his fair due. Cedric had kids with this lady, which has also taken up his time.

* Omar became involved in Les Butherettes, and while never confirmed, it seems like he has/had a relationship with the singer, Teri Gender Bender. This leads to them forming Bosnian Rainbows together.

* Due to writer's block, family life, etc. it took Cedric 2 years to write the lyrics to Noctourniquet. When it was finally done, Cedric was fired up and ready to go into full-on Volta mode. Warner Brothers sat on the new Volta album for a long time, wanting to time the release "just right" for promotion or some such bullshit, which i know is bullshit b/c there was little to NO promotion, radio play or anything for the album. Unfortunately, Omar, frustrated with Warner Brothers and Cedric, and being super infatuated with Teri, toured Bosnian Rainbows instead of putting any promotion into Nocto or doing any Volta tour dates.

* This causes Cedric to sit on his ass while Omar tours, etc. He gets grouchy, pouty about it, which is probably exacerbated by his wife. Cedric blows and has a hissy fit on twitter, essentially quitting/breaking up the band due to his impatience with Omar focusing on other things.

* Cedric starts his own band, Zavalaz, does a few tour dates in SoCal.

* Somewhere in there, the two sort out their differences, hang out socially, then record Antemasque.

That's more or less what happened, according to all of the nerds on the Volta message board. ( I lurk there cuz I'm a Volta nerd too)
    Though there's another theory that says that the two of them felt trapped in their Warner Bros. contract with Mars Volta and staged the whole messy break up thing to get out of their contract, which is why they got back together and invented a new band. I don't really buy into this theory tho.

Oh, and Cedric was never angry about Omar grieving his mother. In fact he verbally attacked some people who talked shit about Omar b/c of his lackluster performance during the time. So that definitely doesn't have anything to do with it.

So there you have it.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 07-07-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Good post, muchly appreciated!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    more antemasque tour dates:

10-02 Antwerp, Belgium - Trix
    10-03 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Melkweg
    10-04 Dortmund, Germany - Visions Westend Festival @ FZW
    10-06 Berlin, Germany - Bi Nuu
    10-07 Hamburg, Germany - Markthalle
    10-09 Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik
    10-10 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland - L'Amalgame
    10-11 Paris, France - Gaite Lyrique
    10-13 Brighton, England - Concorde 2
    10-14 Leeds, England - Brudenell Social Club
    10-15 London, England - Electric Ballroom
    10-31 Monterrey, Mexico - Pal Norte Rock Festival
    11-03 Mexico City, Mexico - Circo Volador
    11-05 Washington, DC - Rock & Roll Hotel
    11-06 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
    11-08 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Bowl
    11-09 New York, NY - The Bowery Ballroom
    11-11 Boston, MA - Middle East Downstairs
    11-12 Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall
    11-14 Toronto, Ontario - Mod Club
    11-15 Detroit, MI - Magic Stick
    11-16 Chicago, IL - Metro
    02-21 Adelaide, Australa - Soundwave Festival
    02-22 Melbourne, Australia - Soundwave Festival
    02-28 Sydney, Australia - Soundwave Festival
    03-01 Brisbane, Australia - Soundwave Festival
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 08-25-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    *attending* !!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Isiaiah Ikey Owens, former keyboardist was found dead in Mexico during the Jack White tour. Another sad day for music.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/1...ead-in-mexico/