Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would you wear a mask to a NIN show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Would you wear a mask to a NIN show?

I love NIN, and hate masks.

To me, one of the best things about a NIN show is the intense atmosphere created by people in close quarters. This, in turn, generates heat, and sweat, and often the only relief when bodies are crammed together is that one can turn his or her bare face upwards and catch - maybe - a refreshing draft from the venue's HVAC. I cannot fathom having endured a song, let alone an entire show, with a face covering.

If NIN were playing a 'masks-required' show near you, would you go? If so, would you expect to have your mask on the whole time? How would you react to others around you who had removed theirs?

What factor(s) might play into your decision?

Would you pay the same for a masked show as a mask-free one?

Would COVID affect where you sit/stand at a show?

Any thoughts on if "masked" live music shows (not just NIN) might become a commonplace thing?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'm not going out to shit until there's an effective SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. This shit does permanent damage. It's not worth it.

Masks are a stopgap measure, and should absolutely be required for essential visits to public indoor spaces. Non-essential visits are just not. Fucking. Worth it.
    Last edited by botley; 07-07-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm with botley.

Chronic illness fucking sucks. A slow isolated death in an ICU isn't high on the list either, and a socially distant, limited-crowd funeral probably sucks too.

I'm so fortunate to have attended as many NIN shows as I have, it's always great to see friends from all around the world at them, but viral pandemics are nothing to fuck around with.

Also, I bought some washable, dare I say fashionable oxford cotton cloth masks last month and I kinda dig it. I was socially distant before it was the thing to do, you know? I don't go out often, but when I do, it's a great accessory. I'm only ever out to drop off the mail, take out the trash, and occasionally supplement my groceries at the bodega, so aside from passing people on the sidewalk, I'm not close enough that I'm going to be at a high risk, but I actually find comfort in wearing a face mask.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I agree with @botley on this, but if things have largely mellowed out by next year and new cases and deaths have both seen considerable declines, but there's still no vaccine available, I might consider going if it's a smaller venue (not an arena). I would absolutely wear a mask (it's not hard) and I would also probably choose a seat that allows for more personal space to social distance as much as possible in favor of my usual desire to be on the floor, as close to the stage as possible. The thing is, I believe there just isn't going to be a tour (for ANY band) until massive gatherings like a concert are safe again due to either a vaccine or herd immunity (the former being the preferred option).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    No. The next time I go see a band at a theatre or arena I wanna be mask free, with no worry about someone coughing a virus into my cerveza (or vice versa).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't see them doing a show until it's safe to do so. Personally, I would be so paranoid about being in a large group of people that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, I live with a compromised immune system. I have to be careful even when there is no pandemic, especially right after chemo. I won't be going into situations with large crowds until there is a vaccine. Currently, I try to do things like grocery shopping early in the morning when there are less people around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Im wearing masks when I go out (and will be when I return to work) but wont be attending concerts until at least 2021 (which kind of sucks because it means Ill probably have to step back from being part of a local music promotion group). But, personally I think its pretty irresponsible at the moment, masks or not, to have a large group of people together.

I had tickets to Black Label Society two days before the Canada/US border shutdown happened that ended up being postponed until August and wont be attending it. I mean itll get postponed or canceled again anyway but..
    Last edited by EvilGobi; 07-08-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Related: best Korea is already experimenting with "virtual concerts" through Beyond LIVE. It's driven primarily by AR. This seems right up NIN's alley if this comes stateside.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'd rather have a year zero vinyl repress than a masked up socially distanced nin show.

Edit: A taped still style show in Trents basement would be tight as hell tho. They could call it

NIN: STILL (quarantined)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    personally i wouldn’t go to show if we had to wear masks. too many people means too much risk. i’m not even comfortable with the amount of people at the grocery store so a packed out concert is a no go for me.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I would wear a mask, but i would rather have a vaccine and attend a show when all this blows over.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    but if things have largely mellowed out by next year and new cases and deaths have both seen considerable declines, but there's still no vaccine available
    If there's anything the last month has shown, people can't wear a mask, can't socially distance, and can't stop doing stupid shit. As you said, no mass gathering indoor event is going to be safe until there's a vaccine.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Seen first hand what COVID does on a daily basis. I don't want it. I wear an N95 and surgical mask over it every day at work. I've know people who have had it and it just kicks that crap out of you. Some days I'm more sad than others because I see the lack of responsibility from people in this country and of our leaders here in America.

I can be patient and just dreaming of 2021 hitting half a tour. I'll be there. Outside in line, cracking a brew and hopefully chatting with others. Possibly still with a mask on, because who knows... It may just become a norm for some time?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    No, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't attend any concert until we've got a vaccine. To even hold one would be incredibly irresponsible, and I wouldn't take that risk with or without a mask for any band, even one I love as much as NIN.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    If there's anything the last month has shown, people can't wear a mask, can't socially distance, and can't stop doing stupid shit. As you said, no mass gathering indoor event is going to be safe until there's a vaccine.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. My trip to the grocery store today reaffirmed your point, as well.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Agree with all the posts that say no gigs until this entire thing is over.

However it's well within NIN's scope to do an online gig - they know we'd pay for it, and I've attended several online gigs that have been of good quality. I'll miss being lovingly crushed by you all during, but I can handle that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    personally i wouldn’t go to show if we had to wear masks. too many people means too much risk. i’m not even comfortable with the amount of people at the grocery store so a packed out concert is a no go for me.
    Yeah, I think the only way concerts happen again is with a vaccine.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    No chance. Not for NIN nor any other band i'm into. Not even for one final Led Zep show with a reincarnated John Bonham. No dice.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    I love NIN, and hate masks.

To me, one of the best things about a NIN show is the intense atmosphere created by people in close quarters. This, in turn, generates heat, and sweat, and often the only relief when bodies are crammed together is that one can turn his or her bare face upwards and catch - maybe - a refreshing draft from the venue's HVAC. I cannot fathom having endured a song, let alone an entire show, with a face covering.

If NIN were playing a 'masks-required' show near you, would you go? If so, would you expect to have your mask on the whole time? How would you react to others around you who had removed theirs?

What factor(s) might play into your decision?

Would you pay the same for a masked show as a mask-free one?

Would COVID affect where you sit/stand at a show?

Any thoughts on if "masked" live music shows (not just NIN) might become a commonplace thing?
    I also love NIN and hate masks. The fricken things are annoying, and steam up my glasses unless I tape the darn thing to my face. But that's not what matters. If I have an asymptomatic infection and attend a public event, I could kill someone by not wearing a mask. Or more than one someone. And that is simply not acceptable.

Mask wearing is one of very few things which do not fall into my wide berth of acceptance. You like Trump, that's fine! You like Biden, that's fine too! You think wearing a mask is too difficult, just fuck off and die!

I would attend a masks required show if it was safe to do so, and I would wear mask the whole time despite great discomfort.

If someone around me removed their mask I would either move far away or punch them in the face.

The question regarding same price for masked / non-masked show is puerile.

With an indoor venue it does not really matter where you stand/sit unless you have accurately mapped airflow patterns in advance, which is unlikely.

If live music shows become available anytime soon in a venue of any appreciable size, it seems likely that masks may be prudent. Unless you live in an asshole state which has no concern for human life.

Did I miss any questions?
    Last edited by zero; 07-13-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I can’t picture a show like what they currently put on working at all until a vaccine comes. You can be in shorts and a t shirt and still be sweating a couple songs in, I don’t care what kind of masks everyone is wearing, the amount of sweat and shoulder to shoulder crowding makes me certain there’s no way you could go to one and not end up infected. I remember people talking about ninfluenza in 2018 and that was before all this. People will still line up before shows and will still go crazy during the big energetic songs and hits. There’s no way to control this right now and if it was all seated and spaced out to help you’d end up with a diluted experience no one wants to have. No one wants to dream of it but I don’t see proper live shows coming back until late 2020 if not past that, especially with how the US is handling everything (and I say “handling” very, very lightly).

I want to go to a NIN show to forget everything else in my mind and life and disappear into the moment and space the band and crowd around me is creating. There’s no other place that conjures such a clear and perfect state of mindfulness for me as a Nine Inch Nails show does. There’s no way of returning to that until we don’t have to worry that the person screaming Head Like a Hole is giving us something there is no cure for.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I want Pinion to segue into a cover of The Muppets' Together Again.
    The spotlight is first on Trent, and then Mariqueen appears, singing Miss Piggy's lines. Robin enters the spotlight, singing Fozzie's lines. And then the entire stage lights up, revealing a wall of musicians, including Atticus, Alessandro, Ilan, Podboy, Josh F, Josh E, Richard, Danny, Charlie, Jeordie, Pino, Justin, Alex, Jerome, Aaron, Ron, Nick, David, Lee, Gary, featuring guest musician Andy Kubiszewski, with backup singers Sharlotte, Lisa, Kevin McMahon, and Clint Mansell. Adrian Belew can also be doodling around on his guitar.
    Or maybe just limit it to 6 members.
    Last edited by Findus; 07-14-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't see them doing a show until it's safe to do so. Personally, I would be so paranoid about being in a large group of people that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show.
    I had a quite "similar" experience.

November 13 2015 : 137 deaths in Bataclan venue. I discover this as I came back from a concert myself and turned on the tv a few minutes as usual after a show.. quite strange.. I did at this time something like 2 or 3 concerts a week. Some friends were at this show, one of them hurt on shoulder

November 24 2015 : back in concert (the first one since the slaughter) for Ghost and a few days later in a packed tiny venue with very small exits.
    Can't be sure at this time that concert were 100% sure.. or even today as craziness is everywhere !

I was never afraid. My girlfriend need 6 months to be at ease again at concert.

At this time I don't know how I will react with covid-19.. but probably with a mask until i'm quite drunk.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    No, because a bunch of assholes are going to take their masks off and it won't work, and like others have said, this shit is NOT worth it. I've made exceptions to pick up curbside food, but otherwise it's only been groceries or the store, and when I'm in there I'm not fucking around; I'm there to get my shit and go. I cannot stand these people right now who feel the need to chat with cashiers about nothing.

So, like I was saying, no, I'm not going to a concert. This also affects my livelihood, since I do live sound, and all that work has dried up. I've been offered some gigs but they're not safe enough IMO and I've turned them down. I can't understand people excited to go to Disneyland or concerts, especially indoor concerts...

Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post

At this time I don't know how I will react with covid-19.. but probably with a mask until i'm quite drunk.

Yep...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I would be down with going to a show if it meant a mandatory mask rule for all people attending, but as @Jinsai just said above, good luck enforcing everyone to keep it on for the entire time.
    I wear a mask when I go grocery shopping, no problem. I'm actually quite happy to do it. But, I am in the extreme minority here. You see 1/10 people, if not less wearing a mask. It used to 50-65% of people you saw in March/April wore masks, but that number has slowly dwindled as summer came and all I see now are packed patios and people drinking it up and hugging and giving each other high fives everywhere I look...

But live music is/was a HUGE part of my life. I went to at least 2 shows a month probably. It's one of my hobbies. I can't play music for shit, but I sure as hell live and breath it in every other capacity of my life. Taking the ability to attend live shows away has had a huge impact on my mental health. I've been incredibly more depressed now than usual. My idea of a "good time" is going to the grocery store these days, so... given the change to attend a show, I totally would. But in a safe and respectable manner. Who knows... if they re-opened shows tomorrow and said "c'mon down" I might have a change of heart, because I feel like I wouldn't attend one this year. But as Trent said... "I just want something I can never have" and at this point that something is live music rushing through my veins, lol.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Someone i can say with confidence now is that i will be wearing a mask to any gig, and whenever i leave my place from now on. Even after this is all over i'll continue just as respect to everyone within my reach to help stop spreading colds or flus and whatnot. I don't expect everyone to follow this, but for me this is just the way forward....also helps i've found a very comfortable style of mask i'm happy with.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Y'know, I could see NIN pulling off something really interesting with a creative take on that "parking lot / drive-in-theater" concept. Make it some kind of crazy, trippy audio/visual experience / concert. I don't see anything too aggressive working, because then you'll have people jumping out of their vehicles and fucking it up.

Or did anyone see the Amon Tobin Isam tour? I feel like live shows that are like "that," where they're borderline art-exhibits, that would be worth exploring right now if you're an artist inclined w/ a budget. It's sad, but I think the traditional concert w/ the mosh pit and the sweaty compressed crowds... for the forseeable future that feels like part of a disappeared world. It's kind of crazy to think about really.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This seems like a good thread to mention that there seems to be some hope on the horizon wrt live music ...

German Study Finds Covid-19 Risk Is Low at Indoor Concerts With Safety Precautions

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Y'know, I could see NIN pulling off something really interesting with a creative take on that "parking lot / drive-in-theater" concept. Make it some kind of crazy, trippy audio/visual experience / concert. I don't see anything too aggressive working, because then you'll have people jumping out of their vehicles and fucking it up.

Or did anyone see the Amon Tobin Isam tour? I feel like live shows that are like "that," where they're borderline art-exhibits, that would be worth exploring right now if you're an artist inclined w/ a budget. It's sad, but I think the traditional concert w/ the mosh pit and the sweaty compressed crowds... for the forseeable future that feels like part of a disappeared world. It's kind of crazy to think about really.
    Depending on how long this lasts, drive in LITS 2, after a possible 2022 album?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Considering that Trent & Atticus have been working in separate rooms in Trent's studio during the pandemic, I think the odds of getting everyone in the band in one space for a performance is unlikely until things settle down.