Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Is It Right to Separate Art from Artist?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    What a horrible horrible asshole.
    I'm not going to be able to watch his films now without thinking "fuck me, was he behaving like that on set the entire time?"

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm not going to be able to watch his films now without thinking "fuck me, was he behaving like that on set the entire time?"
    i only ever saw primer, which i loved, but he always seemed super pretentious. i know upstream color had a pretty rough sexual assault in it (from what people have told me) and i just never worked up the nerve to be able to sit through that.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Upstream Color is fucking spectacular. Too bad its creator is an asshole. And it's interesting that I never ever would have run into that fact if it weren't mentioned in this thread.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    It's infuriating because he IS a brilliant filmmaker, clearly multi-talented. But I guess there are aspects to that brilliance which manifest as cruelty/fixation on people as well as work? Perhaps without the right cocktail of meds, speculatively.

@eversonpoe I don't remember the film specifically depicting sexual assault, not in the sense of a literal depiction anyway... it may allude to that obliquely, however, in the aftermath of a similarly devastating situation, so I can see how that would be uncomfortable and even potentially triggering for someone watching it with trauma around assault.

This is an interesting analysis of the film in Vanity Fair through 2020 vision, so to speak.
    Last edited by botley; 08-01-2020 at 06:07 AM.