Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: thninchnails: hurt (stained) and heresy ep (fan made remixes)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    @spahn , should this get an entry in the catalog under unauthorized?
    We can. There has never been a set of rules to add items to Unauthorized. The Strobe Light album was the first "fan mix" album added but no other fan mix had previously been added.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    We can. There has never been a set of rules to add items to Unauthorized. The Strobe Light album was the first "fan mix" album added but no other fan mix had previously been added.
    That's why I asked, 'cause recently I saw Strobe Light in there. Thank you for all your work on the Catalog site! It's a great resource!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    That reminds me, I’m surprised you didn’t work this Reptile with Peter Murphy in somehow, it fit your theme:

And also sampling of Coil to acknowledge Peter C: First Dark Ride shares many of the samples as The Downward Spiral (The Bottom):
    Nah. Not sample. Same filtering effect used in both tracks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlkr View Post
    Nah. Not sample. Same filtering effect used in both tracks.
    Nope. It’s a sample.

Appears at 3:45 in The Downward Spiral (The Bottom) and at 2:36 in First Dark Ride.

It’s a slower pitch in FDR because the sample was triggered lower on the keyboard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Nope. It’s a sample.

Appears at 3:45 in The Downward Spiral (The Bottom) and at 2:36 in First Dark Ride.

It’s a slower pitch in FDR because the sample was triggered lower on the keyboard.
    I talked with Danny Hyde few years ago regarding it and he said it wasn't a sample.
    But who knows - he just didn't want to admit that he rehashed it.
    Like he does now with COIL tracks in his collection.
    He's selling out COIL legacy.
    Any track he has, he sells it. Makes new one from old one just to earn $$$$.
    The fun fact is that he was their sound engineer on a payroll, really not a member as told by late John Balance.
    It's like FLOOD would sell NiN tracks after Trent has died.
    I feel bad because I used to run his project profiles back on myspace and fb.
    I even was creating sounds for Electric Sewer Age around 2006-2008.
    Last edited by stlkr; 07-03-2020 at 03:20 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlkr View Post
    I talked with Danny Hyde few years ago regarding it and he said it wasn't a sample.
    But who knows - he just didn't want to admit that he rehashed it.
    Like he does now with COIL tracks in his collection.
    He's selling out COIL legacy.
    Any track he has, he sells it. Makes new one from old one just to earn $$$$.
    The fun fact is that he was their sound engineer on a payroll, really not a member as told by late John Balance.
    It's like FLOOD would sell NiN tracks after Trent has died.
    I feel bad because I used to run his project profiles back on myspace and fb.
    I even was creating sounds for Electric Sewer Age around 2006-2008.
    Yeah I go into that here:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Hearing about this only now. This is the exact sound that made me fall in love with NIN to begin with. If this is fan made (which it probably is) they pulled off something way above the average remix here. As far as I’m concerned these are the kinds of sounds and feelings I think of when I think of this band before anything else.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Hearing about this only now. This is the exact sound that made me fall in love with NIN to begin with. If this is fan made (which it probably is) they pulled off something way above the average remix here. As far as I’m concerned these are the kinds of sounds and feelings I think of when I think of this band before anything else.
    it is and i couldn't agree more

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    That polite version of TB is especially satisfying.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    If this is fan made (which it probably is)
    There might be some clues about that in the first post. /s

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ...was inspired. enjoy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ...a few more for the pile.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ...last one. enjoy.

Last edited by Michael_Vens; 07-12-2020 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

thninchnails: hurt (stained)

we can't have nice things
    Last edited by thninchnails; 09-10-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    FYI: this is just @katara .

The impersonation of NIN intellectual property is getting old.

But you did a great job on the first one, so I’m excited to listen to this.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    thanks

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm confused. Is the Heresy release supposed to be the other half of this or are you alluding to a Hurt pt. 2 release coming later? Anyway, thanks, I'll check it out!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Last edited by thninchnails; 09-10-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thninchnails View Post
    'heresy' is halo 7, released before the downward spiral. 'hurt' was released over two discs, both of which are halo 9, the aftermath to the era. the second part has yet to be redistributed.
    Got it, thanks for the clarification.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thninchnails View Post
    serving as an outro to an epoch, the nine inch nails waved goodbye to the world in late may 1994 with two mini-albums unveiled simultaneously as 'halo nine: hurt'. these were comprised of reworkings and re-interpretations of material from 'the downward spiral' era, torn apart and rebuilt as monuments to experimental noise.

although out of print for decades after reznor's infamous 1995 disappearance, this previously limited release is now available online. alongside its companion piece, this was tnin's final manifesto until the legendary 'manhattan project' surfaced in 2019.

thninchnails: hurt (stained)
    halo 9
    part 1 of a 2 disc set

1 hurt (stained) (5.39) bpm: 100
    2 whirlpools and spirals (4.25) bpm: 100
    3 me and my fucking gun (3.20) bpm: 100
    4 burn (in flames) (5.48) bpm: 90
    5 the infector (6.47) bpm: 116
    6 the beauty of self destruction (4.32) bpm: 100

all tracks remixed by thninchnails
    additional vocals on 5: jhonn balance

stream or download for free from:
    mega (flac)
    mega (mp3)
    soundcloud
    Really enjoying these and appreciate the effort and attention to detail you've gone to again.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yes, this project is fake. I made all the music.

One of the main reasons why this project exists is that there haven't been any good remixes for years. Some of Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D was okay, yet it was bloated, felt out of universe, and much of it unnecessary. The Hesitation Marks and With Teeth remixes were almost all fucking terrible. Fan remixes have run dry. I long for that time when we had multitracks released for every song, when there was something new posted on remix.nin.com every day. Seeing the heresy artwork in the Watchmen Vol. 3 liner notes, I knew I had to do something. I felt that there's little chance TR&AR would revisit the era, so why not do it myself? I could at least attempt to hearken back to the glory days (Fixed, FDTS, etc) when NIN remixes were actually decent. Make something both I and hopefully the community would find exciting and enjoy.

It might look like I used 'thninchnails' name for selfish reasons, but it couldn't be farther from the truth. When this was just a personal project for myself, I was interested in the idea of creating and owning as legitimate a piece as I could possibly make, and it was that idea I wanted to share. Fame isn't something I'm particularly interested in, and of course there's no way I can make money off it. It doesn't benefit me in any way unless it's for promoting my other work. But this is a dummy account disconnected from that world, so it wouldn't matter... and seeing as I gave up a few years ago, there'd be little point.

Aside from a few individuals hell-bent on running it into the ground, I was incredibly pleased with the response that this project got. It did so well that I ran out of download credits and had to shut down the bandcamp account (bandcamp doesn't allow free streaming anymore; it goes directly to paid, which is probably illegal).

A ton of research went into making each of these EPs. I contacted multiple people who worked with NIN previously (Charlie Clouser, Russell Mills, etc), getting permission to use samples and art, asking questions about sample sources, and so on.

The amount of time it took to prepare each vocal track was far more than the time to create the mixes themselves. I didn't simply take elements from the 5.1 mix, although it helped. Each song (except Burn) had to have its vocals manually extracted and restored, which is quite a time-consuming process.

An interesting point of note is the instrumental version of The Downward Spiral. One can't just use those tracks to phase-cancel the LP, as someone in the NIN camp changed the speed ever so slightly to make it drift. It might be possible, just horribly annoying (on purpose, I assume).
    Last edited by katara; 09-10-2020 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The moderation team has struck again, this time moving my thread to the ass end of the other one and dumping it on the unfrequented Art board where no one will ever see it.
    Other users get to make their own threads for different releases. Apparently I don't? Thanks!

While I do respect the moderation team's decision to move my fan project away from the official forum, I don't like the way it's been done. There have been many other similar projects posted there and not moved. It's inconsistent and honestly feels like bullying.

While @totom did admit to making Strobe Light, the thread is still in the NIN forum. Same with their other work. No shade against totom; it's just not nice to be singled out while others are allowed to post what they like wherever they like.

What Danny Hyde did for Uncoiled/Recoiled is pretty good. I like the remixes. However, it's obviously a cash grab, and he still hasn't admitted that it's fake. He pretty much just took some master tapes he had in a shoebox, moved some faders around and called it a day. Even I put more effort into this project. The difference is his name and affiliation with the band, which means he gets a mention on nin.com and distribution from a record label. Oh, and the thread for his fan remixes gets to stay on the main board.

Although I did say I wouldn't call out @Leviathant and @ninlive... that Saigon 1995 show was fake. For those not in the know, ninlive was apparently sent a package containing a mysterious tape, which supposedly contained the last ever performance by TNIN.
    They've kept up the facade that the tape was real to this day (to my knowledge). It was presented as legitimate and hoodwinked everyone, including myself. It was the mystique in the presentation of this music that got me wanting to contribute something myself in a similar vein. However, even though they've done exactly the same sort of thing I've done, there's no punishment for them. It feels wrong and shitty. I've been treated badly, and it sucks.

From a PM I sent to Leviathant just after the heresy thread was posted that sums up my feelings about this well:
    "I think the way the Saigon show was presented was really cool. I would never have guessed it wasn't directly from Trent if you hadn't told me directly. It just seems a bit rich when the admin team for a forum can "legitimize (an) ep by being deceptive about it" (sweeterthan's words regarding my ep) but when a regular member does something similar, members of that same admin team come down on them like a ton of bricks."

At the very least, please revert the 'thninchnails: hurt (stained)' section of this thread back to its own thread, otherwise it's buried at the bottom of this one.
    Last edited by katara; 09-10-2020 at 03:36 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hope this thread doesn't get stuck with an argument and we can focus on the remixes, which are amazing in my opinion, great work.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

thninchnails: hurt (stained) and heresy ep

so you’re derailing your own thread instead of responding to my private message? cool.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Burp
    I'll let Leviathant and ninlive handle that bit of business but here's how a few of us saw this -

You presented this as something potentially official; a remix EP of TDS songs from the Watchmen universe but to compare this with Saigon; there was no discernible way to figure out that this was fan made or not because... the remixes had great production value and did some neat things. So, unlike Saigon, it was really hard to tell if this was official or not until the bandcamp link got pulled (I wasn't involved with Saigon in any way, but knowing that it mentioned needing an EDS filter and the fact that the file was glitchy noise with a high quality audio recording of another show wrapped in made it clear that this was something for fun and 0% official). A lot of folks know bandcamp as a site where you can pay artists directly so the fact that this was featured on there gave it a sense of legitimacy, never mind the fact that I got text messages from old board friends asking me if this was real or not. You even engaged with people as a fellow consumer of this instead of rightfully taking credit for the cool thing that you did. That's confusing!

Any blowback that you received from folks about this is likely because they were disappointed and felt tricked into believing that this was something official. I get that feeling and I hope you do too. I won't ramble on about how there are NIN fans who want to know what's official and what isn't because it can impact collecting habits, goals, etc. "How do I label this halo? Is it even a halo? Is it a seed instead? TELL ME NOW." That's obviously not your fault.

Decisions were made on how to reorganize the two threads and where to put them and please understand that none of those decisions were made with malice towards you. We have to keep the reputation of the board in mind with this stuff and because the original remix EP started here, we wanted to make sure that anyone outside of ETS understands that this is a fan project and not something official. Side note: I find it far more interesting that you consulted with prior NIN collaborators for these than cloaking it under a veil and can definitely appreciate the care you put into this.

Anyway, I'm good with this going back to the NIN forum, but the title of the thread needs to reflect you claiming credit for this and it has to remain as one thread. You did good work with the music, please don't let any of this inhibit or prevent you from doing more of this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think this thread should go back to the NIN forum. It's hard not to notice this:

These remixes and this release are fan-made. The original posting is below:

These remixes deserve a bigger audience, and it's definitely NIN related. Change the thread title if needed, but in my opinion it's quite clear to me that all these are fan-made as is.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I think this thread should go back to the NIN forum. It's hard not to notice this:

These remixes and this release are fan-made. The original posting is below:

These remixes deserve a bigger audience, and it's definitely NIN related. Change the thread title if needed, but in my opinion it's quite clear to me that all these are fan-made as is.
    except a new thread was made by katara’s duplicate account, separate from the original that was labeled as fan made. even there it’s not in thread title, only in the first post which was added by an admin.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

What Danny Hyde did for Uncoiled/Recoiled is pretty good. I like the remixes. However, it's obviously a cash grab, and he still hasn't admitted that it's fake. He pretty much just took some master tapes he had in a shoebox, moved some faders around and called it a day. Even I put more effort into this project.
    Hot take!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    What Danny Hyde did for Uncoiled/Recoiled is pretty good. I like the remixes. However, it's obviously a cash grab, and he still hasn't admitted that it's fake. He pretty much just took some master tapes he had in a shoebox, moved some faders around and called it a day. Even I put more effort into this project. The difference is his name and affiliation with the band, which means he gets a mention on nin.com and distribution from a record label. Oh, and the thread for his fan remixes gets to stay on the main board.
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Hot take!
    This is fact. The Uncoiled/Recoiled remixes were produced after Danny was contacted in 2012 about various rumoured unreleased Coil remixes (which never existed).
    I'd say the only music actually from the time were the short remixes of Gave Up done for Young Americans. Those were only on Uncoiled, are in various states of completion, and tbh aren't all that interesting, being short edits of an already-released remix.

Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    You presented this as something potentially official; a remix EP of TDS songs from the Watchmen universe but to compare this with Saigon; there was no discernible way to figure out that this was fan made or not because... the remixes had great production value and did some neat things. So, unlike Saigon, it was really hard to tell if this was official or not until the bandcamp link got pulled (I wasn't involved with Saigon in any way, but knowing that it mentioned needing an EDS filter and the fact that the file was glitchy noise with a high quality audio recording of another show wrapped in made it clear that this was something for fun and 0% official). A lot of folks know bandcamp as a site where you can pay artists directly so the fact that this was featured on there gave it a sense of legitimacy, never mind the fact that I got text messages from old board friends asking me if this was real or not. You even engaged with people as a fellow consumer of this instead of rightfully taking credit for the cool thing that you did. That's confusing!
    I actually thought it was very obvious it was false from the start. Bad quality artwork (I couldn't secure anything better), mega links, and no official notice on nin.com were telltale signs, or so I assumed.
    When people started treating it as the real deal, I just went along for the ride.

I've definitely made some mistakes here. My apologies to anyone I duped.