Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C&B&I And What Might Have Been

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    It's one of the better tracks off Hesitation Marks. I never understood the dislike for this song. It's like NIN meets The Cure.
    I also like the song.

Sonically, it's almost the polar opposite of what one expects from Nine Inch Nails. It's in a major key. Trent harmonises with himself. It sounds happy, even if the lyrics are anything but.
    In my opinion, the song structure is to blame. That first opening chord "I SURVIIIIIIIIIIVED" is most likely what gets many to skip. If it started a little darker and worked up to that pop-rock section, it might not have turned so many heads.

Disappointing that fan backlash killed the song for Trent. Perhaps he'll warm back up to it in time.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I get what he was doing there, and yah, I get it. Doesn't mean I want to listen to it.
    If I want to listen to the Cure, I'll put that on. Not that I'm pigeon-holing NIN, but geeze, c'mon. It's a freakin' record scratch.

You can always put out a separate album of that kinda stuff if you need to scratch that itch, and people will know what they're in for. (Harkins back to the backlash the Cure got for releasing Wild Mood Swings, until people kinda 'got it.')

For me, it's another ill-conceived song on HM, which is why I rarely venture there. Hmmm, maybe this should be on the controversial opinion thread. I'll wait for the pelting of rotten vegetables.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    You can always put out a separate album of that kinda stuff if you need to scratch that itch
    It's called 'Hesitation Marks'.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I don’t recall much everything hatred here at the time; I wonder which outlets he pays attention to.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I really like Hesitation Marks. Sure, it was different but Trent is a different man now. Everyone (hopefully) matures. While it wasn't my favorite NIN tour, I quite enjoyed the HM tour too. Pino Palladino is a monster bass player & the back up singers were top knotch also. Lisa Fischer was great for years with the Stones & she brought the same energy to NIN. It would be boring if Trent just kept remaking TDS. It's that sort of thing that gets you relegated to the Native American entertainment complex circuit.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    FWIW, I LOVE With Teeth and Year Zero. While I grew up with the older PHM, Broken, TDS and the Fragile, I thought With Teeth, Year Zero and the Slip were awesome. And I thoroughly enjoyed NTAE and Add Violence. So this isn't a "anything but the TDS is crap" view.

And to be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of Wild Mood Swings when it came out, but eventually I came to absolutely LOVE the album.
    Hesitation Marks is 7 years long....and I'm sorry. It's still a nope for me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I don’t recall much everything hatred here at the time; I wonder which outlets he pays attention to.
    It received the most hate of any NIN release I've seen in my entire time on the site since 2007. It was weeks of people saying it was trash. I personally like the song, but check here and here for responses at the time. It was almost all negative comments immediately after it played on the radio, and the frequency of negative comments on only went up in the following days as people who weren't aware that it was coming out started hearing it.

TR referred to it as an "irritant" later in the year, and was definitely referring to fan reaction both here and Facebook when he did.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    What I'm wondering is if they'll decide to basically reschedule those exact fall dates for 2021 like I've seen a lot of bands do lately. Has that been thrown around and I've missed it? Would be nice to see them add more dates to the tour too, but we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I completely forgot god break down the door existed until this comment. why did you do this to me
    you shut that god damn trap right now, tony boney.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    What I'm wondering is if they'll decide to basically reschedule those exact fall dates for 2021 like I've seen a lot of bands do lately. Has that been thrown around and I've missed it? Would be nice to see them add more dates to the tour too, but we'll have to see.
    I honestly hope to God they use the same set of cities and just reschedule the tour instead of just flat our cancelling it.

However, on the other hand... my province keeps reiterating there are no concerts at all until a vaccine is found. And that scares the fuck out of me. I actually live for live music. If you pull that away from me, there is very little reason for me to live when I live. I live in one of the most expensive places in the whole wide world, San Fransisco type levels of rent/housing here. Anyway... Don't want to get into the politics of it, but if this province takes away live music (and they are notorious for ridiculous laws like that - My city has actually been nicknamed "No fun Vancouver" because every time something fun comes up, the city pulls it's plug), I'm gonna bounce.

My girlfriend and I have actually been talking about moving away recently. If live music gets pulled here and restarts up elsewhere in the country, that's the final nail in the Vancouver coffin for us. We're gonna split.
    We all know there isn't going to be a vaccine in 6 months. But the rest of the world is already preparing to move on with or without one with all the tours getting rescheduled already.
    tons of venues in Europe are already re-opening for shows as I type this. I've read countless articles about venues in Norway, Italy, Germany etc that are all opening their concert venue doors sooner than they anticipated.

You can very easily practice safe guidelines at concerts. Like making it mandatory for everyone to wear a mask. I would totally wear a mask for the duration of a show if it meant getting in.
    I think there is a safe way to restart concerts without a vaccine.

Sorry if I rambled and turned this into something else, lol. It just hits hard to home that I could have gotten 3 back-to-back NIN shows in my town, without having to spend $3000 and take an airplane for once, and it just scares the fuck out of me thinking I might never get to see live music ever again because of a bunch of fucking politicians that live here and think they "understand" fuck them. Fuck them all! (Seriously, sorry for going off on a tangent here. I need an outlet to express my frustration with the system, lol)
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-18-2020 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    FWIW, I LOVE With Teeth and Year Zero. While I grew up with the older PHM, Broken, TDS and the Fragile, I thought With Teeth, Year Zero and the Slip were awesome. And I thoroughly enjoyed NTAE and Add Violence. So this isn't a "anything but the TDS is crap" view.

And to be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of Wild Mood Swings when it came out, but eventually I came to absolutely LOVE the album.
    Hesitation Marks is 7 years long....and I'm sorry. It's still a nope for me.
    no need to apologize. everyone has their own opinion. & you know what opinions are like (mine included)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    2018: live in rust belt, travel 23hr to CO for shows
    2020: live in CO, (would have) travel 23hr back east for shows

At least this gives me more time to save up so I can afford to travel for these guys.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    no need to apologize. everyone has their own opinion. & you know what opinions are like (mine included)
    What are they like?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    What are they like?
    Look at your butt.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Look at your butt.
    haha, I was trying to be funny... key word "trying."

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I've read countless articles about venues in Norway, Italy, Germany etc that are all opening their concert venue doors sooner than they anticipated.
    Germany just extended their ban on large gatherings 2 extra months through the end of October:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN23O2YZ

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Germany just extended their ban on large gatherings 2 extra months through the end of October:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN23O2YZ

CENTRAL EUROPEAN COUNTRIES EASE EVENT RESTRICTIONS

Events of 500 people can take place in the Czech Republic and German capital in June, with Switzerland permitting shows of up to 300, as restrictions ease

Other European countries to recently ease restrictions include Poland, where outdoor shows of up 150 people are allowed, and Nordic nations Denmark and Finland, where events are up to 500 people can take place.

https://www.theinvisibleorange.com/c...-restrictions/
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-19-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Drive in concerts for now in the UK

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_is_dead View Post

They won't even allow 50 cars at a drive in movie theatre here!! That's how ass backwards politics are here in Canada!

They tried to announce a "drive in concert series" here and it got shut down. *shakes head*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So...a concert, in Cars.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    There’s been so many cancellations & postponements, I’m trying to think when we would’ve found out about this Fall tour. I’m guessing the official announcement would’ve come after the May Rock & Roll HOF induction.

We know they were booked for Primavera in 2019, so it seems like these dates were firmly on the books well before the HOF had to reschedule the induction ceremony to November.

I don’t think they would’ve announced it during the March SXSW Watchmen panel, but who knows?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    There’s been so many cancellations & postponements, I’m trying to think when we would’ve found out about this Fall tour. I’m guessing the official announcement would’ve come after the May Rock & Roll HOF induction.

We know they were booked for Primavera in 2019, so it seems like these dates were firmly on the books well before the HOF had to reschedule the induction ceremony to November.

I don’t think they would’ve announced it during the March SXSW Watchmen panel, but who knows?
    I have a feeling it was going to be that same timeframe, yes. Would make sense given the 2018 tour was early May as well. I'm curious now when they'll announce the rescheduled 2021 dates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Early next year maybe. If there are European summer dates.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Here’s how ass backwards our government here is. They pulled the plug on a similar event here, because 50 cars is bad!
    Bad. Bad. Bad!

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/e...IR6Mz9cgXyex1M

but hey, they’re re-opening movie theatre’s next week, because it’s more safe to sit in a room for 2 hrs breathing recycled air with 50 other people than be in your car, right?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The more I think about a 2021 tour, part of me is really hoping they go a little earlier in the year with maybe some summer dates into the early fall. Hell, maybe even pull a Lights in the Sky 2018 and do a summer and fall leg.

Some major stuff in my life set for this year is possibly being postponed into 2021 so I'd hate to miss out on some NIN gigs next year.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    GA please though, I cba with seats.
    I was trying to figure out what cba stood for, and I decided it's "can't bounce around," and I liked that. Continue with whatever we're talking about.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My time in the UK makes me think "can't be arsed" for CBA.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 06-24-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    No matter what it means, yes please GA. Please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Haha yes it means 'can't be arsed'. Can't bounce around fits though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The tour was supposed to start in a weeks time?

I wonder when these dates will be rescheduled for.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Happy 2021, everyone!

I have a feeling that any future tour will more than likely happen in 2022.