Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Favorite band at each point of your life

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Favorite band at each point of your life

And I don't just mean a list of your favorite bands of all time. Start as early as you can remember. Who was your favorite band or artist? Who did it change to as you move forward in time. And only your single favorite for each period of your life. Make sure to include the embarrassing ones. My list goes like this:

Michael Jackson. The first artist I remember being obsessed with as a child.

New Kids on the Block. They were also my first concert. My best friend at the time was the son of the President of the Boston Garden so I got to go sit in the President's box at the Garden for free to see it.

There's a gap in here where I really don't remember what I was obsessed with between NKOTB and the next one.

Meat Loaf. I don't think he was a favorite for very long. I would have been 12 when Bat Out of Hell II came out and I really loved it for some reason. He was also my second concert.

Nirvana. I was late to the grunge movement. STP's Purple was one of my first CDs, and started me down that path, but Nirvana quickly became my favorite.

Everclear. Dunno the exact number, but Everclear would have been one of my earliest concerts as well. Probably somewhere between #4-6. I can remember that REM was my 3rd, but the order is all a blur after that.

Korn. The only one I'm embarrassed about. Anytime I hear a Korn song now, I'm really not sure what I saw in it. There was a period of overlap with Korn and Everclear being my favorite. My internet screen name was everkorn for a while.

NIN. Got into NIN when The Fragile came out. They've been #1 ever since.

Could probably make a case for some classic rock between Korn and NIN, as I got sick of Korn not long after high school and it took a couple years for me to fully become obsessed with NIN. But I don’t think I could narrow it to one.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 05-18-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Awesome thread idea. Some of these may slightly vary as far as the timeline goes...

Bon Jovi - Guns N Roses - Metallica - Vanilla Ice - Bone Thugs N Harmony - Korn

It all kind of blends together after that, but I distinctly remember all of those acts being a large part of my formative years.

ETA: Everyone else put way more thought into theirs, so I'm going to bulk mine up.

4 - 10: I distinctly remember my older cousin giving me Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet on cassette to me when I was four because I danced to one of the songs she played when she was watching me. By seven or eight I had developed a taste for Guns N Roses, Metallica, and a random smattering of hair metal bands.

10 - 12: Not sure why, but I got really into rap. Vanilla Ice and Snow (man did I fucking love Snow) were my favorites, but I also listened to NWA and other such acts. I also loved Stone Temple Pilots but really no other grunge type stuff.

12 - 14: Got really into Metallica again but also into the more alternative bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, and Garbage.

15 - 18: Holy nu-metal, Batman! I was absolutely obsessed with Korn which eventually gave way to other acts like Limp Bizkit, Reveille, Orgy, Deftones, Slipknot, Taproot, etc. Also discovered Marilyn Manson during this time and fell in love.

19 - 25: And hello metalcore/screamo. From Autumn to Ashes, Poison the Well, Thursday, Glassjaw, Norma Jean, Bleeding Through, etc. During this period I also got ridiculously into Spineshank, Nothingface, and Chimaira.

26 - 30: Although I had heard them previously, I got really into bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and Scarlet.

30 - current: More of the same plus more black metal and black metal inspired bands like MOL, Deafheaven, etc.

Not sure I ever really grew out of many bands that I had a large affinity for throughout my life. While I also enjoy some mellow stuff as well, not too much of it has been really influential for me overall.
    Last edited by Archive_Reports; 05-19-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my list would be something super convoluted because i dive DEEP into a band when i feel in love with it. many of these artists/bands are things i discovered earlier but didn't fall in love with until that point, many of them are still favorites.

8-11
    they might be giants, smashing pumpkins, no doubt, weird al, the spice girls, tori amos, (very embarrassingly) dave matthews band

12-15
    nine inch nails, king crimson, pixies, aphex twin, radiohead, incubus, coldplay (shut up), modest mouse, jeff buckley, the mars volta, muse

16-19
    joy division / bauhaus, john zorn & all associated projects, mogwai, the cure, low, cocteau twins, murder by death, COIL, throbbing gristle, blonde redhead, deftones, interpol, circa survive, daughters

20-24
    placebo, thrice, poison the well, depeche mode, ISIS, telefon tel aviv, mastodon, rosetta, dillinger escape plan, nick cave and the bad seeds, austra / twin shadow / diamond rings

25-33
    steven wilson / porcupine tree, young widows, swans, liars, john carpenter, converge, old man gloom, bohren & der club of gore, the black queen, the body / thou, drab majesty, mizmor, wolves in the throne room

my super narrowed-down list would be: smashing pumpkins, nine inch nails, murder by death, telefon tel aviv, young widows, the body

at the moment, my very favorite bands/artists are nine inch nails, king crimson, the body, thou, and pretty much anything aaron turner is a part of
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Oye... This is a good one!

8-11
    Billy Joel, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Tool, Live, Smashing Pumpkins, Backstreet Boys, Mortal Kombat OST, Stevie B, Hall & Oats, Final Fantasy VII OST, Peter Gabriel, Slipknot, Huey Lewis and the News, Busta Rhymes, 2Pac, Wu-Tang, Dru-Hill, 112, (I can keep going) 12-15 blends together.

16-19, 20-24
    Chevelle, Deftones, The Sound of Animals Fighting, Finch, Thrice, RX Bandits, Funeral For a Friend, 36 Crazyfists, Thursday, Hoobastank, Killswitch Engage, Linkin Park, Taproot, Placebo, Muse, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Blindside, Saosin, Story of the Year, Chiodos, Brand New, Modest Mouse, Incubus, Glassjaw, Team Sleep, The Postal Service, Death Cab For Cutie (Took a huge break from Rap and RnB)

25-33
    Chevelle, Deftones, Phantogram, The Weeknd, 6lack, Vince Staples, Darci, Teflon Sega, Grimes, Kaleida, Afsheen, Billy Eilish, Camo and Krooked, Childish Gambino, Chromatics, Coheed and Cambria, Flume, Ghost Loft, Jamiroquai, Kid Cudi, Matchbook Romance, MIMOSA, Odesza,
    Santigold, SBTRKT, Silversun Pickups, SZA,
    The Avalanches, The Midnight Eez, They.,

Favorite acts right now?

The Weeknd, 6lack, Little People, Night Verses, Chromatics, Little Dragon.

My list would probably be much different if I put more thought into this.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-19-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I can do this better with genres. 0-13 music was largely a non-entity, or something enjoyed briefly before moving onto something else. I had some emotional reactions to music, but no connection at it were. 13-17 was all classic rock, with prog rock and jazz moving in towards 15-16. 17-21 I started getting into more alternative stuff, mainly shoegaze, post-rock, Radiohead and NIN. Really was into film scores then and have been ever since. 21-28 is when I discovered Porcupine Tree, and started branching out towards Steven Wilson's other projects and bands he was associated with (Opeth, Anathema, etc.) From 28 to a few years ago, I started doing deeper dives on bands I had a general respect for but no deeper connection until this point. King Crimson and Marillion are a few good examples. I also discovered other newer prog bands like Big Big Train and Crippled Black Phoenix, through reading Prog magazine. I flirted around with a few other artists but those groups stuck.

I still love a lot of this music. I think anything I latched myself onto is still stuff I'll have time for. New music is a bit harder for me now, but I guess that comes with getting older. I've had a few things which I can call guilty pleasures. Being into BDSM has kind of exposed me to music I'd largely not be into but understanding how it works within a scene has made it connect with me that way. Honestly it's part of why I got into NIN, but mostly to do with hearing a few deeper tracks that resonated with me and made me look at what Trent does in a different way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Early years:
    Believed to initially be Sting/The Police, but evolved into classic rock in general. Pink Floyd was definitely high up there. Led Zeppelin, The Who, Bowie, Yes, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and others as well (might or might not be a coincidence that they were largely on the British side of things). It wasn't until the tail end of my middle school years that I started to go very far beyond that.

High school years:
    Definitely NIN. I also listened to several other bands a lot - Korn, Slipknot, Manson, Tool, System Of A Down, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Metallica, Ministry, Nirvana, Rob Zombie (mainly alternative and a bit of metal) - but none of those bands managed to dethrone NIN.

First few years after high school:
    Definitely Opeth. I was much more into metal (including extreme metal) to the point where I was considered the resident metalhead of the nin.com forums. Slayer, Agalloch, Morbid Angel, Amon Amarth, My Dying Bride, Enslaved, Katatonia, Burzum, Mayhem, Megadeth, Gojira, Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad, and Wolves In The Throne Room were also bands I listened to a lot, but Opeth was firmly on the top spot (and not even the release of Heritage shook it; I was also one of the few that actually like that album) to the point where the (now defunct) Opeth forums were my second home, after the NIN forums.

c. 2013-2017:
    NIN reclaimed the throne after the release of Hesitation Marks. Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree had also become pretty high up there.

College years (2017-present):
    Seems to be a bit more flexible now. Sometimes it's NIN, sometimes it's another band. It's mainly whatever I feel like listening to at the moment.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Great idea for a thread. I still like ALL of the artists mentioned, but liked them especially at certain times.

Under 10--The Beatles and the Monkees. I had the tapes/records in my home.

12--My rap phase.

13-18--When I was in Jr High/High School--I loved Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue and other 80's rock bands like RATT. I also listened to some of the newer bands like Pearl Jam, but not as much. Also listened to a fair amount of classic rock like The Doors, Beatles, etc.

18/19--Started to really get into 90's rock/alt. rock--Garbage, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc.

20's--Became a massive NIN fan. I listened to NIN more than any other artist when I was in my 20's.

Early 30's--Kind of a mix of everything above, but increased listening of classic rock at this point, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc.

35-40--Sinatra, Sinatra, Sinatra, in addition to everything else I mentioned above, sans rap.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The first band I "obsessed" over was Marilyn Manson in 1998-2000.
    Between 2000-2005 it was Rammstein.

Then NIN took #1 spot in 2005 and has been there ever since. I listened to NIN since '98 with Manson and was there day 1 when The Fragile came out, but it wasn't until the With_Teeth Era that I became a full blown SUPER FAN.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I grew out of most of the music I liked during my formative years. I was listening to a lot of what my friends and peers were listening to. I didn't really trust my own instincts and tastes until I was 14-15 years old. I'm sure many people have the same story. During that time of 14-15 years old, I found that most of my friends and family didn't like the music I did, which made me sad a lot. I never liked being different from people for some reason.

8-13 years old - nu metal (KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, etc); a lot of rap music (Ja Rule, Notorious B.I.G., DMX, Eminem); trance and edm music (can't name a specific artist, I just listened to the genres); pop and teeny bopper music of course

14-18 years old - started listening to a lot of different music when I started playing guitar and piano. The Cure; U2; Joy Division; Smashing Pumpkins; Radiohead; Jimi Hendrix; Nine Inch Nails; My Bloody Valentine. I liked emulating musicians who had textural and atmospheric sound rather than blues-riffing or classic rock like Led Zeppelin. I also started listening to rap on a deeper level (for lack of better description) - Kanye (The College Dropout); Talib Kweli; Wu-Tang Clan; Raekwon; Nas

My 20s - started getting into more alternative music that I stupidly thought was only for hipsters and Pitchfork readers. Once I got past my biases and insecurity, I listened to Sonic Youth all the time. They subsequently became one of my top 5 influences on my music. The most important part of this period is shedding my judgments and just listening to anything I liked. Letting go of the elitism.

I'm 30 now and I'm still maturing with my outlook on the world and music. I now mostly listen to electronic instrumental and ambient music like Plastikman and Haxan Cloak. On the other end of the spectrum, I listen to a lot of heavy music and extreme metal now too. It was unexpected but I genuinely love it. Some of my favorite bands are Meshuggah, Converge, Behemoth, Celtic Frost

sorry I wrote so much, I never get to talk about music's impact on my life.
    Last edited by ton; 05-19-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Was born in the early 80's so i did listen to a lot of 80's music in my early life, but also lots of classic Rock N Roll because of my dad, but it was in the early 90's when i started to pay attention to music and artists.

9-12
    The Doors, Michael Jackson, Roxette, that stupid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Coming out of ther shells tour...

13-16
    NIN, KISS, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica, Guns N Roses, U2, White Zombie, Iron Maiden, The Rolling Stones.

16-20
    Tool, Foo Fighters, AIC, Pearl Jam, STP, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Faith No More, Monster Magnet, Danzig, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Rollins Band, RHCP, Pantera and Limp Bizkit *sigh*

21-25
    Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Placebo, Aphex Twin, Einsturzende Neubauten, APC, PJ Harvey, The Ramones, The Cure, Sigur Ros, Queens of the Stone Age, Ministry, Iggy Pop, The Mars Volta, Deftones, Interpol, Primus, Type O Negative, APC, The Strokes, The Hives.

25-30
    Bowie, The Smiths, DEVO, Joy Division, Porcupine Tree, Public Image Ltd, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxie and the Banshees, Mogwai, Tom Petty, The National, Arctic Monkeys

Present:
    I listen a lot to Nick Cave, Alice in Chains, Steven Wilson, Joy Division, TOOL and Bowie.

NIN has been present pretty much all those years...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Great idea for a thread!

Young Kid: The first cassettes that i owned because i wanted them were The Beach Boys and The Monkees. I used to love the Monkees! I think it was in part because of their TV show. I also remember listening to a lot of the original Muppet Movie soundtracks because I liked those as well.

Elementary School Age: After this I just kind of always listened to what my parents were listening to, The Police, Sting, Genesis, Peter Garbiel, Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, etc. This took place in the late 80's. None of these were favorites per-say but I feel like they set the tone for where my musical taste went later in life.

Middle School: I started middle school (6th grade) in 1991 and Metallica's black album had just been released. Our elementary schools now all combined and I made new friends who had older siblings. At some point in 6th grade I bought the Black Album. This was possibly the biggest moment in my life musically. Metallica, Pantera and Sepultura (what i like to refer to as the big three) quickly became my favorite three bands. As far as i was concerned no other music mattered.

High School: I rode those big three right into high school. During high school I opened up more to other genres of music. I grew a love for punk rock, ska (across all era's), techno, hip hop (more the harder stuff) and probably some other too. I know that i hated country, still do, lol. TDS was in the rotation for sure but NIN was not at the top of the list yet. While I fell in love with many bands and musical styles Metallica, Pantera and Sepultura were #1 and got me through being a teenager!

Early Adolescence: My class graduated in '98, i had my Good Enough Diploma (GED) before my class graduated that same year. While i loved metal i had also become a rude boy and was a big time ska fan. Devo had also become a huge favorite for me and DJ Keoki and Paul Oakenfold were in the mix too. Soon after high school I started to really get into NIN. By the time the Fragile had come out I was a huge NIN fan, I remember listening to it for the first time ever onWFNX over at my buddies house. Theyplayed the whole album cover to cover before it was released in stores over theradio. The big three were still important to me but NIN was starting to take over.

Everything Since: Since then there have been tons of bands and albums that have been at the top of the pile. NIN took over and has been #1 since The Fragile came out. I lost faith in Metallica after reload was released but came back to them when Death Magnetic came out. They are again a favorite right along side Pantera and Sepultura. I still love ska (fucking Coronavirus fucked up me seeing Madness live for the first time!), and techno (Deadmau5 fucking kills it) and anything fast, loud and aggressive. Music has been an important part of my life and there are bands and genres mixed in but NIN, Metallica, Pantera and Sepultura are the end all be for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hoo boy, let's see if I can remember.

First artist I remember being obsessed with is Michael Jackson. I grew up with his music as a kid, so he was always playing in the house. And any free time I had was spent watching homemade VHS tapes filled with his videos, interviews, performances, etc.

Teeny Bopper Phase: Nsync, BSB, Spice Girls, Christina Aguilera, O-Town, B2K. I was all about the bubblegum pop music with Nsync being my favorite out of all of them.

Early high school years was a lot of Blink-182 and Eminem. This was around the time I started getting more into rock and started listening to Manson, BFMV, Slipknot, Green Day, NIN, etc.

Mid - end of high school I was all about Nirvana. Keep in mind Nirvana hadn't been active for over 10 years at this point and even though I remember watching SLTS as a toddler, this is when I really got into the band.

College - I'm not sure if there's one band that defined these years. I was honestly listening to a lot of the same stuff while getting into other bands. This may have been when I got really into The Cure. I was also really into the White Stripes at this point.

Now - I still listen to all the bands I mentioned, but now my top band would definitely be The Cure. And right now I'm very much into NIN again. They've been my quarantine band of choice.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    that stupid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Coming out of ther shells tour...
    This made me laugh! Pretty much the epitome of my early days as a kid were these turtles and this dam tour.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    This made me laugh! Pretty much the epitome of my early days as a kid were these turtles and this dam tour.
    Glad someone remembers! lol
    I think it was one of my very first concert experiences along with Michael Jackson, but i think they were a positive influence because they introduced me to the whole experience of attending a live show and being excited at the shows, but yeah, the music was corny and terrible...
    But i still remember it very fondly:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Playing air drums to 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' is a vivid memory from my youth.
    Until my teen years, my music knowledge was shaped by my parents taste. Mostly 70s/80s classic rock, but bands like Pink Floyd, Rush and The Doors really captured my attention.
    Eventually my teenage music consumption was influenced by Fuse, late night MTV shows like Subterranean + Headbanger's Ball, and the internet (I started lurking ETS in the Year Zero-era, age 13)
    11-13: System Of A Down + Green Day
    14-18: NIN, Tool, Deftones, Dillinger Escape Plan, Brand New, Radiohead
    19-23: Bowie, Primus, My Bloody Valentine, Deafheaven, Nothing
    24-now: Slowdive, HEALTH, The Black Queen, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush
    Last edited by Soma; 05-20-2020 at 02:29 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I think it was one of my very first concert experiences along with Michael Jackson, but i think they were a positive influence because they introduced me to the whole experience of attending a live show and being excited at the shows, but yeah, the music was corny and terrible...

Oh, I rememeber begging my parents to actually go and see it live. What I got instead was the VHS and the cassette tape... I barely listened to it.

Look at that audience though...they all reek of regret.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

A friend of mine who is the biggest TMNT fan I know recently tracked down the two men responsible for that tour and interviewed them about it. The story of how it all came together is pretty cool

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/te.../1100-6475327/

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I feel like some of you guys are listing too many bands in your posts. Taking away from the spirit of the thread for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dr. Demento, Joan Jett, Beastie Boys, Damn Yankees, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Dr. Dre, 2Pac, Rage Against the Machine, Sublime, NIN, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Atmosphere, Spearhead, A Perfect Circle, Saul Williams, Fiona Apple, The Mars Volta, The Arcade Fire, The Beatles, Kanye West, Die Antwoord, Billie Eilish

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I feel like some of you guys are listing too many bands in your posts. Taking away from the spirit of the thread for me.
    Some of us are old as fuck and have shifting interests over time.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Let's cast aside the fact that NIN and U2 have both been my ACTUAL lifelong favorite bands: these are the ones that came in second to those at the times.

('89-'94): Favorite song ever was the COPS theme. It's still a banger to be honest.
    ('94-'98): Metallica
    ('98-'04): Korn and Slipknot
    ('03-'06): Chimaira and In Flames
    ('07-'10): MUTEMATH and Radiohead
    ('10-'15): Arcade Fire
    ('15-'18): HEALTH and The Weeknd
    ('18-Cur): Code Orange and Type O Negative

Been and interesting trajectory.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    pre-'94: not obsessed with music yet but loved GNR - Appetite for Destruction, Nirvana, MTV alternative stuff
    1994: Green Day - Dookie and The Offspring - Smash played on a loop with my friends
    1995: older cousin plays White Zombie - Astro-Creep 2000 and Metallica and I start to follow that rabbit hole...
    1996: Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar, Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral and Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie
    1997: introduction to electronic music with Atari Teenage Riot, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, The Prodigy
    1998: pretty much Mechanical Animals all year... and Orgy - Candyass
    1999: The Fragile

2000-2004: mostly followed all of the previous stuff I was already in to and eventually found Deadsy which led to me to artists like David Bowie, Gary Numan, Type O Negative, Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Joy Division, Pavement, etc. Also introduced to death metal with Cannibal Corpse. Lots of Skinny Puppy, Bile, Ministry, Velvet Acid Christ and assorted industrial bands. The indie punk bands hit big in 2003 with The Strokes, The White Stripes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

2005-2007: Then you get Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta and Mastodon. With Teeth and Year Zero happen. Begin to follow bands like Autolux, DFA1979, A Place to Bury Strangers, She Wants Revenge, LCD Soundsystem (thanks Trent and ets!). Also still following most of the artists I grew up listening to.

2008-2011: tripped and received a mental purge and attempt to explore only new things. Animal Collective, Deerhunter, Jay Reatard, Black Lips, No Age, Wavves, Liars, Ty Segall, HEALTH, Fuck Buttons, MGMT, Dan Deacon, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Fucked Up, Black Dice. Listened to a lot of punk like Wipers, The Adverts, Zero Boys, Screamers, Ramones, Descendents, Wire, Suburban Lawns.

2012-2016: I listned to a lot of electronic music and hip hop during this phase. James Ferraro, Arca, Death Grips, Oneohtrix Point Never, Actress, Burial, Torn Hawk, Dean Blunt, Zomby, Flying Lotus, Kendrick and Kanye. Also got in early on the first wave of vaporwave listening to Macintosh Plus and Vektroid releases. Swans and Scott Walker made some huge epics during this time.

2017-2020: Mastodon, Sleep, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard and Queens of the Stone Age ruled these years. Went full metal and mostly listened to the classics. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. Classic death metal like Cannibal Corpse, Death, Napalm Death, Possessed, Deicide, Obituary, Voivod, Morbid Angel, Autopsy. New wave of great thrash, hardcore and dm bands like Power Trip, Tomb Mold, Code Orange, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Blood Incantation, Gatecreeper.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    2000-2003 . slipknot, nirvana, disturbed, marilyn manson, korn, bush, black sabbath
    2004-2005 . johnny cash, tom petty, pink floyd, the band, david bowie, bob marley
    2006-2008 . nin, qotsa, mia, pucifer, saul williams, eno/byrne, gary numan, beck, elliott smith, gorillaz, mogwai, massive attack
    2009-2011 . knife, health, fever ray, grizzly bear, beach house, andrew bird, dead weather, horrors, washed out, zola jesus, tim hecker
    2012-2015 . sharon van etten, andy stott, opn, grouper, tame imala, four tet, death grips, nicolas jaar, htda, julia holter, tobacco, flying lotus
    2016-2019 . kaitlyn aurelia smith, midori takada, arp, visible cloaks, kate nv, yasuaki shimizu, dip in the pool, carla dal forno, joe hisaishi, haruomi hosono
    0 0 2 0 2 0 . soccer mommy, phoebe bridgers, fka twigs, hiroshi yoshimura, orville peck, haim, blood orange, thundercat

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Focusing just on the undisputed #1 for me, my list is very short, since I tend to fixate on certain artists beyond the mass of artists I listen to on a regular/semi-regular basis.

Early life (up through 13 yrs old): It's pretty embarrassing to think about now, but since I didn't really listen to music as a hobby or passion, I would just listen to Radio Disney at night while I fell asleep for background noise. Loved me some Hillary Duff. God it's awful to say now. After that...

13 - 19: Linkin Park. I started listening to rock music in middle school, and LP was pretty prominent on our local radio at that time, and they connected pretty hard with me. I had other bands that I listened to religiously those first couple years, too, and NIN in particular came around in 2009 or so, but Linkin Park remained the king up through my first year of college.

19 - 26 (present): My top two are NIN and Bruce Springsteen, and they tend to alternate in those spots based on which artist has been active recently. Whenever a new album comes out from an artist I like, I tend to re-rotate their back catalogue into my listening habits, and that happens especially so with these two. Right now, I think I'd say Springsteen, but it could easily flip at any point.