Page 76 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Dude, I've wondered for a long time.

And, here's my best guess:
    Toy was mostly meant to be comprised of songs that Bowie, aka JONESY, wrote when he was really young.

I think it's meant to refer to youth.
    That actually makes sense!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'll pass on that box set as I own pretty much everything of interest on there. Toy, however, I will download the shit out of (right before changing that artwork).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I love how the baby-man from that Toy cover is so hideously disturbing they didn't put it on the official merch and just used the three capital letters instead, LOL. Anyway, I got my order in for the vinyl box. Sorry, wallet!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    No Tin Machine bums me out.

Baby Universal is like, top 40 of all time for me. And to hear the 97 redux, I guess I've got to hunt down a copy of... looks like the Is It Any Wonder? EP.

Jesus, I was seriously not aware how many, you know, "releases" Bowie had.
    I count 236 albums/live albums/eps/singles/soundtracks. TWO HUNDRED THIRTY SIX, according to Wikipedia.
    And don't forget the 12 box sets and 28 video albums.
    Plus, i'm almost certain there's more to come.

I mean, i'm not sure if every single got a physical release. But even if NONE of them got physical releases (which I know that several did, as I owned some in the 90s,) but, YEAH.
    That's STILL 46 compilations, 10 EPs, 21 live albums, 12 box sets, 28 video albums (some of which you'd likely have to track down on VHS,) and then the 27 studio releases.

Do any of you guys OWN all of these physical copies?

EDIT: HEY, y'all. Do we know if all of the Glass Spider show was ever pro shot?
    It REALLY fascinates me, but so much editing happened to it that I can't really follow the thing. I've READ about everything that happens, but I wanna SEE it.

Part of me can't believe he allowed it to.be released that way, but on the other hand, since his long term goal appears to be like 500 individual discs/tapes, I guess a few slip through the cracks
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-19-2021 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my only issue with the TOY set (ordered a 10'' box set by the way) is the lack of early 'slip away' and 'afraid' versions that were on the leaks... those songs were written for TOY, but i guess they'll be included in the final box with Heathen since they inevitably wound up on that release? either way those early versions were interesting, and i'm interested in hearing this properly sanctioned mix (and alternate versions) of the proper album!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Do we know if all of the Glass Spider show was ever pro shot?
    It REALLY fascinates me, but so much editing happened to it that I can't really follow the thing. I've READ about everything that happens, but I wanna SEE it.

Part of me can't believe he allowed it to.be released that way, but on the other hand, since his long term goal appears to be like 500 individual discs/tapes, I guess a few slip through the cracks
    If you just mean a complete unedited show, no. The Sydney concert from that tour was released as a two-part VHS (and later a single DVD), but it was not the entire set. Personally I find it kinda draining to watch, even edited down, as there was so much unnecessary business happening onstage...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If they did film any shows from that tour, they should burn the footage. By far Bowie at his absolute worst. An era he was embarrassed to admit even existed

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    If you just mean a complete unedited show, no. The Sydney concert from that tour was released as a two-part VHS (and later a single DVD), but it was not the entire set. Personally I find it kinda draining to watch, even edited down, as there was so much unnecessary business happening onstage...
    I, on the other hand, want to see all of the missing unnecessary business.
    There's a story of SOME kind of story going on there, and it's incomplete.
    Also, I LIKE big crazy productions. I'm a sucker for Madonna's theatrics, and was quite jealous when my parents saw U2's ZooTV tour without me.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    If they did film any shows from that tour, they should burn the footage. By far Bowie at his absolute worst. An era he was embarrassed to admit even existed
    If we're talking about some of the albums around that time, then, yeah, although I DO love Time Will Crawl. Tonight was horrible.

But the show was highly ambitious, and Bowie said it was his favorite tour he'd ever done.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-19-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There's pro shot shows on youtube

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    If we're talking about some of the albums around that time, then, yeah, although I DO love Time Will Crawl. Tonight was horrible.

But the show was highly ambitious, and Bowie said it was his favorite tour he'd ever done.
    'loving the alien' is one of my top ten bowie songs of all time, so tonight isn't 'totally' worthless...

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    There's pro shot shows on youtube
    Right, I know, but have you found one that includes EVERYTHING? Like, all the interludes and such? I haven't.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Anyone going to/planning to go to that 75th anniversary pop up in London or NYC?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Lol, it's unavailable in my country. (Thankfully there's a direct download link posted in the other thread)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Not expecting a great deal from the #Bowie75 pop-up shops (surprised that some people were, to be honest) but anyway - browsing the hashtag I came across the Cabaret vs Cancer charity who are selling authorised Bowie bits in their online store. Not a load there, but well worth a butcher's - I've ordered a Blackstar mug and badge set.
    Look forward to watching the ...Americans video later - presumably it will show up on YouTube soon? Not sure why 'Hours...' videos have been going up first, but will be very pleased to see all of the Earthling and 1.Outside era videos when they finally appear.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

I guess we don't need a thread for this one, as it doesn't feature Our Lord and Savior.

But it's PRETTY!

Sadly, for me, for the past 24 years or whatever, ive thought he said "and I'm gone/through the crack in the bath" at least once. Today, i noticed that he CLEARLY says Path and Past.

I guess "gone through the crack in the bath" is fair game for me now, though.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I also found this video interesting. Such a goddamn great record.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Here's the new 7 Years in Tibet. It's got a lot of live shots from I THINK the Outside tour that a lot of you guys saw? Edit: also, this is a remaster, right? It sounds...cleaner? Sharper? Maybe it's in my head.

I love Reeves' ummmm...bird costume? That man, with his Parker Fly, plays guitar like NO-ONE ELSE, at all. I also dig the little demon/moses horns affixed to Gail's head.

Edit: thanks for the Making Of link, @burnmotherfucker! I'll watch that one today. Idk if you were a fan back then but good GOD, a LOT of us assumed he was working on "the making of" 2.Outside: Contamination at that time. He fucking SAID he was.
    Still adore Earthling, Heathen, Reality and such, though.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-30-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

He's teasing me from the grave. "(Brian Eno and i) decided to keep working on these things all the way through to the end of the century, and have a diary of music and textures about what it felt like to be around at the end of the millennium. It would be, so, WOW! What an accomplishment! Let's do it before anyone else does."

Also strange that Gail DIDN'T play bass on the record. I always thought that by that time and from then on out, they were sort of, idk, the "band leaders." Like she was his right hand woman. Never looked at the credits I guess. Edit: AHHHH. So he recruited her for the touring band and videos, and that was the beginning.

Also he mentions getting Carlos Alomar as the guitarist. I had to.double check THAT shit: I meen, NO ONE sounds like Reeves. I KNOW that's Reeves making all.those insane sounds on that album. Carlos Alomar played rhythm; that makes sense, like the pretty chord things on Oxford Town.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-01-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Um...is that a fucking Bowie-ony version of 'Hurt' at 17:00?!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Idk if you were a fan back then but good GOD, a LOT of us assumed he was working on "the making of" 2.Outside: Contamination at that time. He fucking SAID he was.
    I was definitely not a fan back then. I was way late to the Bowie party. Decades late. Almost as late as possible haha. I've probably listened to more Bowie in the last 5 or so years than just about any other artist though, so I've been doing my homework.

Outside is great, and I actually connected with that record right away. My love for Earthling came later so I can kind of appreciate how fans would have been disappointed the Outside series was abandoned. Both are such good albums to me though and I am still dumbfounded they weren't bigger at the time of their release. They're just unique. Bowie was great at taking current trends in music and putting an interesting spin on them. There are better drum and bass records than Earthling, but the way he mixed that with pop rock is just great to me.

I'd still give Outside the edge, lately I've been obsessed with The Voyeur of Utter Destruction. But Seven Years In Tibet is a beastly titan of a track that I've listened to way too much and somehow never tire of it.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 11-02-2021 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Here's the new 7 Years in Tibet. It's got a lot of live shots from I THINK the Outside tour that a lot of you guys saw? Edit: also, this is a remaster, right? It sounds...cleaner? Sharper? Maybe it's in my head.

I love Reeves' ummmm...bird costume? That man, with his Parker Fly, plays guitar like NO-ONE ELSE, at all. I also dig the little demon/moses horns affixed to Gail's head.

Edit: thanks for the Making Of link, @burnmotherfucker! I'll watch that one today. Idk if you were a fan back then but good GOD, a LOT of us assumed he was working on "the making of" 2.Outside: Contamination at that time. He fucking SAID he was.
    Bowie wasn't doing 7 Years on the Outside tour, at least the USA part. I'll have to check the archives about Europe.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Some Earthling songs were played on summer 1996 tour, but not earlier. The footage in the video is definitely from 1997 Earthling tour though.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Bowie wasn't doing 7 Years on the Outside tour, at least the USA part. I'll have to check the archives about Europe.
    ah, pardon me, and @fillow . I didn't even KNOW about the Earthling Tour back then, as it was 97, and I don't think it came within 1000 miles of dallas.
    In those days, I learned of concerts from the newspaper. We got Sound +Vision ( I was ten.)
    And we got Outside, which I missed for a stupid reason, assuming Bowie would return soon. I was like 15?
    And that was it.
    Do we have pro shot Earthling shows?

Edit: also, @burnmotherfucker! you're a DnB man, too!? My man! As far as "pop dnb," have you listened to the first Baxter album?

As far as Bowie and favorite songs, specifically from Outside,I LOVE I'm Deranged. It's like GOAT territory for me, by anyone. We Prick You brings the DnB, and it's amazing. That ALBUM is one of my favorites of all time, too.
    But, GOOD GOD. We were SUPPOSED to get an Outside trilogy, and a movie. And I wanted it, BAD. I was clinically obsessed with it.
    In high school bought printer paper you could use to make iron ons, and made a serious of shirts using the pictures from the little booklet of album art and story.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-02-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! you're a DnB man, too!? My man! As far as "pop dnb," have you listened to the first Baxter album?

As far as Bowie and favorite songs, specifically from Outside,I LOVE I'm Deranged. It's like GOAT territory for me, by anyone. We Prick You brings the DnB, and it's amazing. That ALBUM is one of my favorites of all time, too.
    But, GOOD GOD. We were SUPPOSED to get an Outside trilogy, and a movie. And I wanted it, BAD. I was clinically obsessed with it.
    In high school bought printer paper you could use to make iron ons, and made a serious of shirts using the pictures from the little booklet of album art and story.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a DnB man but I do like the sound. I just don't know enough about the genre to consider myself an expert on it or anything. Most of my knowledge of it comes from IDM and how it's sometimes incorporated there. I'll have to check out that Baxter album.

I've just seen Earthling criticized before for using DnB and watering it down but DnB was only one element in the album, it wasn't meant to be seen as a DnB record. One of the things I love about Bowie is he'll throw in any style he wants but he never tries to take credit, he's always been honest about influences and how he likes to put things together that normally wouldn't be.

I'm Deranged is awesome. I think about the opening credits to Lost Highway every time I hear it. It's also got a dark jazz type vibe to it, as do both Outside and Earthing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    As far as "pop dnb," have you listened to the first Baxter album?
    If I may chip in here, I'd like to recommend Bill Nelson's 1996 album "After The Satellite Sings", which by Reeves Gabrels' account influenced Earthling.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Enjoying the daily HD upgrades of the videos from this era (Hearts Filthy Lesson and Strangers When We Meet were posted yesterday and today if you didn't see), but man, how awesome is it that IAOA was the one video shot in 16:9 and able to get the 4K treatment?

I think just Little Wonder and Hallo Spaceboy are left, and then we'll have HD upgrades of all the Outside/Earthling/Hours videos!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I with they'd release a video for Hello Spaceboy album version, the one that got canned apparently. They filmed this song a lot on tour, sometimes even playing it again at the end of the show just to film it without NIN guys on stage. I don't recall any of that footage in Pet Shop Boys remix version video.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...en-1235115403/

David Bowie Film, Based on ‘Thousands’ of Hours of Rare Footage, Coming From Director Brett Morgen