Page 73 of 84 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I recently got my hands on a 4-CD set of the final two Dissonance shows from the Oct. 28-29 Great Western Forum. Professional artwork and everything, in a deluxe jewel box. I had no idea this thing even existed and then, one day..there it was on Musicstack. The shows themselves are fantastic. Bowie and NIN were still in fine form even at the end of that run. The Motel still hadn't made it into the setlist yet, but Jump They Say was relieved for the always-welcome Strangers When We Meet on both nights..
    Were these uncirculated?! How's the quality?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I’m not sure, but both shows sound great to my ears..!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Probably this release https://www.navyblue-sound.jp/product/2795
    Good audience recordings. Obviously it's all in circulation at ninlive and BowieStation.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    With the millions of unreleased songs and demos still sitting in vaults, I am getting a little tired of live albums and "NEW VISCONTI MIXES" being dumped out instead. Visconti mixes that Bowie had no part of do not excite me. The Leon Suites remastered and in their entirety would suffice

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    With the millions of unreleased songs and demos still sitting in vaults, I am getting a little tired of live albums and "NEW VISCONTI MIXES" being dumped out instead. Visconti mixes that Bowie had no part of do not excite me. The Leon Suites remastered and in their entirety would suffice
    I kinda agree. Lodger is an exception because that started when Bowie was alive and had his blessing but the rest of these Visconti remasters are just “yeah they’re good but this can’t be all you have to offer”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Even just the handful B-Sides that the 90s remastered CDs had compiled onto a single disc would be a move in the right right direction. I agree, endless mixes of things we already have just seems like an odd/lazy choice. Can’t I just get a great quality studio version of “The Bombers?”

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    It's been that way forever. We used to call him David the Merciless for all the "remaster with 1 or 2 unreleased songs" releases.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The Hearts Filthy Lesson is a tremendous alarm on the weekends.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Because of the alarm above I went back and gave Outside another listen. There's a lot going on there, and I still don't understand it even with the diary. Some great layering and effects on a set of good headphones.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I agree, endless mixes of things we already have just seems like an odd/lazy choice.
    Lazy indeed..

These new Visconti mixes of perfectly fine Bowie songs are pointless and unnecessary. That Holy Holy one sounds way overblown compared even to the original mix. It was cool when Ryko reissued Bowie's stuff on CD in the early 90s with the bonus tracks, because CDs were relatively new and it gave his earlier stuff a nice boost in sound quality. These new mixes just smack of vulturing. Not going to be suckered into buying something I already have that sounds fine as is..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Ryko remaster of "Holy Holy" sounded like hot trash, tho. Dunno what chewed up tape, bad needle drop, or shitbum early-90s computer denoising they were using, but it was FUBAR compared to the original 7", or the re-remastered Parlophone version on Re:Call 1. Bowie vetoed it and they used the 1974 Spiders version instead. And the original single was never mixed to stereo, before Visconti did it last year, so that alone was a good enough reason to remix from the original session tape. Your mileage, of course, may vary...
    Last edited by botley; 05-17-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Holy Holy is one of Bowie's worst songs (from the 70s anyway) so who cares what Tony does with it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I can't believe a song about demonic sex magick isn't getting more love on a NIN forum, of all places.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I can't believe a song about demonic sex magick isn't getting more love on a NIN forum, of all places.
    Some of us can't believe how a supergroup featuring members of NIN, Tool, Pantera and Depeche Mode (amongst others) doesn't get more love on a NIN forum, of all places, but hey...your mileage may vary..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Just trying to protect our dirty little hearts from inevitable disappointment.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just seen this on Twitter today... a clever spot from the final Jimmy King photoshoot.
    https://twitter.com/dazedbee/status/1394915516058382336
    Last edited by ChipRock; 05-19-2021 at 03:34 AM. Reason: I'm stupid?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sometimes you get so lonely
    Sometimes you get nowhere
    I've lived all over the world
    I've left every place

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    So, muad'nin mentioned in another thread about how I Can't Give Everything Away references A New Career In A New Town. The Next Day also has some references to past work. That got me wondering if these references are documented some place? I've picked up on some in The Next Day because I've been listening to it lately but I bet there's a lot that have completely gone over my head. Does anyone know them all?

I love it when artists do this sort of thing. No one bats an eye when a film or series has recurring themes but musicians tend not to use that technique from album to album. I think its pretty effective when done tastefully and sparingly.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    So, muad'nin mentioned in another thread about how I Can't Give Everything Away references A New Career In A New Town. The Next Day also has some references to past work. That got me wondering if these references are documented some place? I've picked up on some in The Next Day because I've been listening to it lately but I bet there's a lot that have completely gone over my head. Does anyone know them all?

I love it when artists do this sort of thing. No one bats an eye when a film or series has recurring themes but musicians tend not to use that technique from album to album. I think its pretty effective when done tastefully and sparingly.
    Not sure if there’s a “BowieWiki” on par with ninwiki, but Pushing Ahead of the Dame is a goldmine for facts and trivia…?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    That "Width of a circle" comp surely has some redundant stuff, but the live portion is cool. And how come they always omit Lightning Frightening which is so far exclusive to '91 CD... And Holy Holy also was on Ziggy 2002 bonus disc already...
    Speaking of live, there's this live album - I'm Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) - that's on streaming sites for a week now - and David's sore throat voice is such a disaster on it, almost like some other singer doing his duties. Fun one-time listen, though
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 06-14-2021 at 06:35 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    And how come they always omit Lightning Frightening which is so far exclusive to '91 CD...
    'Cause it sucks?

And Holy Holy also was on Ziggy 2002 bonus disc already...
    Different recording. Released 1974. Different studio, and different producer. Spiders from Mars lineup.

Speaking of live, there's this live album - I'm Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) - that's on streaming sites for a week now - and David's sore throat voice is such a disaster on it, almost like some other singer doing his duties. Fun one-time listen, though
    Yes, it previously was a Record Store Day exclusive. I don't think his voice is that bad, in fact the soul review vocalists and the funky rhythm section make it a real winner for my ears.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, it previously was a Record Store Day exclusive...
    I mean, i like the diversity. The overall energy and musicians are great on it. Would recommend to anybody. Getting to stream old concerts is a blessing in some sense.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    David Bowie film ‘Just A Gigolo’ to receive first UK release

https://www.nme.com/news/film/david-...rst-uk-release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I found an old friend from high school journalism class.

And he sent me some of my old stories, from early 1997.

On the right side of this pic is my review of Earthling. Note that I promised that 2. Outside: Contamination would be out in the summer, and that there would be "Outside Rave Parties" soon. That's what Bowie was claiming at the time!

Also, how about that 1996/97 design?

the

I'm honestly REALLY proud of the bit wherein "Bowie and Reznor are two men who continue to reinvent each other, in a cycle which whirls further and further into dementia."

I'd word it a little differently today, but, fuck...that was about 25 years ago.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-09-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

On the right side of this pic is my review of Earthling. Note that I promised that 2. Outside: Contamination would be out in the summer, and that there would be "Outside Rave Parties" soon. That's what Bowie was claiming at the time!

the

I'm honestly REALLY proud of the bit wherein "Bowie and Reznor are two men who continue to reinvent each other, in a cycle which whirls further and further into dementia."

I'd word it a little differently today, but, fuck...that was about 25 years ago.
    Was just listening to Earthling earlier tonight so that was a nice read. Pretty decent review too. I'd sure hate to see some of my high school musical opinions in print. Earthling would have gone right over my head back then for sure. It's one of those records that I find I only like more with each listen. Tracks that I thought were dull or that didn't resonate with me on a first listen are some of my favorites now. Seven Years In Tibet has become a kind of mantra or something for me. Dead Man Walking, Law (Earthlings on Fire), Last Thing You Should Do, Little Wonder. Such a great record.

And I'd pay a lot of money to travel to an alternate timeline to hear 2.Outside.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

the

That’s really lovely, elevenism. Certainly have a way with words.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rumour is the next release will be 3xCD / 6LP boxset of Toy.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Rumour is the next release will be 3xCD / 6LP boxset of Toy.
    Hm. As long as there's actual 100% unreleased stuff on there, I'm in. Reeeeeally hanging on for that 90s box...

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    That’s really lovely, elevenism. Certainly have a way with words.
    Hey, thank you. That was my original career path, but I didn't stick with it. I'm thinking of trying some freelancing

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hey, thank you. That was my original career path, but I didn't stick with it. I'm thinking of trying some freelancing
    I’d certainly encourage you to! I’ve done a bit of the same for different online music sites, and as long as you’ve got something of a portfolio of stuff to show them, I think most websites would snap-up someone who has a good handle on the language! Which you definitely do. :-)
    Last edited by muad'nin; 07-10-2021 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelling