Page 72 of 84 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Loner mix video
    i think @r_z meant versions that were recorded for older albums and discarded (BTWN and Earthling, if I'm not mistaken), before thay came up with final Reality arrangement

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    the slipcase boxes are now live on the rhino website, for those who need them...
    Got mine. I was giggling at all those pieces of shit selling theirs for TEN TIMES the price on eBay.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Got mine. I was giggling at all those pieces of shit selling theirs for TEN TIMES the price on eBay.

kit kat klub also selling out fast, despite the weak setlist.
    I'm so stocked, they had a few copies of look at the moon this morning and i was able to grab one!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    i think @r_z meant versions that were recorded for older albums and discarded (BTWN and Earthling, if I'm not mistaken), before thay came up with final Reality arrangement
    I just reread. It didn't say that. This version is excellent, IMHO. Then again, Frusciante is 1 of my favorite musicians. I know there are some here who don't care for him but junkies telling stuff about other junkies doesn't interest me much. I think John is in a better place now, he's lucky he survived.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, my suspicion is that Parlophone's spinning a line here, and are actually just waiting for old record contracts to expire before they can announce the next box (which will cover most of the years where Bowie's catalogue was associated with Virgin/EMI). Apparently there was a Tin Machine box planned as well, which is still in contractual limbo.
    Yeah, it seems like they just picked a random justification to hide behind for why it was delayed.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Look at the Moon! is officially streaming now. Don't sleep on this one, folks.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Here's the official site addressing the scarcity of the BLA releases.

https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2021...entures-update
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 04-02-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Bowie's estate really fucked this live archive thing up royally, between the scarcity issues, obligatory price-gouging and Sandbag-levels of poor customer service horror stories circulating out there. I was already scratching my head from the beginning with the incomplete Dallas '95 set, but that tour was legendary to me so I bought it regardless. Then watched the price skyrocket on the secondary. As soon as I saw the Birmingham '95 show was missing "Boys Keep Swinging", they lost me; the complete show is in the Outside Tour 1995 UK Leg boxset, which I've owned for years anyway. And it just kept repeating with every subsequent release, most of which have circulated in trading circles for decades now anyway..

Instead, I spent my money on this recently: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-...lease/10131240

It's unofficial, but it's rare as fuck and is about the most comprehensive set containing the 1994-1995 Outside demos we'll likely ever see. I listened to all five hours of it today and got lost in this music. Such great shit. Bowie at his weirdest and most experimental, stretching out and jamming for 20 minutes at a time on some passages. It's no wonder his record labels at the time wanted nothing to do with it. It sounds like you really just had to be there to understand what was happening in that room at the time..

If Iman ever decides to release an official boxset of this stuff and it's comprehensive, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Outside was my first proper introduction to Bowie all those years ago and remains his favorite period of mine. Wasn't there a rumor Bowie and NIN professionally recorded that entire tour leg they did together? I would buy every show of that tour if they were made available, sight unseen..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Wasn't there a rumor Bowie and NIN professionally recorded that entire tour leg they did together? I would buy every show of that tour if they were made available, sight unseen..
    I don't know about entire leg, but they did film a show for a video release, which was shut down at editing stage due to no financing from the label.
    If whoever owns that stuff now decided to revive that release now, I'm sure NIN and DB fanbases would crowdfund it and reach the target in 0.00005 seconds.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Bowie's estate really fucked this live archive thing up royally, between the scarcity issues, obligatory price-gouging and Sandbag-levels of poor customer service horror stories circulating out there. I was already scratching my head from the beginning with the incomplete Dallas '95 set, but that tour was legendary to me so I bought it regardless. Then watched the price skyrocket on the secondary. As soon as I saw the Birmingham '95 show was missing "Boys Keep Swinging", they lost me; the complete show is in the Outside Tour 1995 UK Leg boxset, which I've owned for years anyway. And it just kept repeating with every subsequent release, most of which have circulated in trading circles for decades now anyway..

Instead, I spent my money on this recently: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-...lease/10131240

It's unofficial, but it's rare as fuck and is about the most comprehensive set containing the 1994-1995 Outside demos we'll likely ever see. I listened to all five hours of it today and got lost in this music. Such great shit. Bowie at his weirdest and most experimental, stretching out and jamming for 20 minutes at a time on some passages. It's no wonder his record labels at the time wanted nothing to do with it. It sounds like you really just had to be there to understand what was happening in that room at the time..

If Iman ever decides to release an official boxset of this stuff and it's comprehensive, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Outside was my first proper introduction to Bowie all those years ago and remains his favorite period of mine. Wasn't there a rumor Bowie and NIN professionally recorded that entire tour leg they did together? I would buy every show of that tour if they were made available, sight unseen..
    I love Leon too, but that was a waste of cash. All of the music is contained in the three suites (disc 2), which are available in this exact form for free. The rest of the tracks are leaked bits of that same music, and some fan fuckery with 'em.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I love Leon too, but that was a waste of cash. All of the music is contained in the three suites (disc 2), which are available in this exact form for free. The rest of the tracks are leaked bits of that same music, and some fan fuckery with 'em.
    Except it wasn’t a waste of cash, because I wanted the physical product and I enjoy physical media. I own the Leons suites in numerous formats as standalone items and none of them sound anywhere near as good as what’s on this box set. Digital content means fuck all to me when there is a physical format available, even if it costs me a little money..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Except it wasn’t a waste of cash, because I wanted the physical product and I enjoy physical media. I own the Leons suites in numerous formats as standalone items and none of them sound anywhere near as good as what’s on this box set. Digital content means fuck all to me when there is a physical format available, even if it costs me a little money..
    I don't think they'd ever be this cool, but I'd LOVE to get a clean, definitive version of these in the next boxset.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Hmmm, pretty sure Dallas and Birmingham '95 are complete on the official releases. I have compared them directly to audience recordings and the only difference was some of the crowd cheers were cut, so I think you have bad intel, @Prettybrokenspiral . It's only the Kit Kat show that's lacking the full set of songs, of the six Brilliant Live Adventures — and that might be simply because they don't have the complete recording anymore.
    Last edited by botley; 04-06-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Making Of 'Dancing In The Street' - Bowie/Jagger

https://www.marksaunders.com/blog/20...et-bowiejagger

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The Making Of 'Dancing In The Street' - Bowie/Jagger

https://www.marksaunders.com/blog/20...et-bowiejagger

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    I'd figured "the making of" for THIS video, or whatever led these two to their...chemistry, in this video, would have been against YouTube's Terms of Circus...😂

But all jokes aside, the fact that Bowie recorded one line at a time is amazing, and my songs would probably sound a hell of a lot better if I did the same.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-12-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    New slate of archival (barrel scraping?) early-70s releases coming at the end of May, namely a 2-CD set called The Width of a Circle and a couple of associated vinyl & digital releases. Will be nice to have the complete John Peel Sunday Show performance at last, and I am interested to hear Visconti's new remixes of the '70/'71 single tracks.
    Last edited by botley; 04-13-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    New slate of archival (barrel scraping?) early-70s releases coming at the end of May, namely a 2-CD set called The Width of a Circle and a couple of associated vinyl & digital releases. Will be nice to have the complete John Peel Sunday Show performance at last, and I am interested to hear Visconti's new remixes of the '70/'71 single tracks.
    Is a lot of this "unreleased" stuff on Re:Call 1 or are they just different versions of the stuff that's on Re:Call 1? Is this awesome or more money grubbing bullshit?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I love this.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Is a lot of this "unreleased" stuff on Re:Call 1 or are they just different versions of the stuff that's on Re:Call 1? Is this awesome or more money grubbing bullshit?
    I think it's pretty awesome... just the "Memory of a Free Festival" and "Holy Holy" singles are duplicated from Re:Call 1, and the 1970 single version of "The Prettiest Star" in the form of an alternate mix; but nothing from the first disc of this new set is on Re:Call 1, it's all from one hour-long live radio session, some of which was already on Bowie at the Beeb. "All the Madmen" is just a new edit of the Visconti album mix from Metrobolist, probably just duplicating the length of the edit version on Re:Call 1. If you didn't care about the live sessions or the alternate/new mixes, I guess you could skip this.

But how fascinating is this? The Pierrot in Turquoise session, which hasn't been officially released except on the Love You Till Tuesday DVD, features on this new release. It's from a TV adaptation of Bowie's first stage piece in collaboration with mime artist Lindsay Kemp:

Last edited by botley; 04-14-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think it's pretty awesome... just the "Memory of a Free Festival" and "Holy Holy" singles are duplicated from Re:Call 1, and the 1970 single version of "The Prettiest Star" in the form of an alternate mix; but nothing from the first disc of this new set is on Re:Call 1, it's all from one hour-long live radio session, some of which was already on Bowie at the Beeb. "All the Madmen" is just a new edit of the Visconti album mix from Metrobolist, probably just duplicating the length of the edit version on Re:Call 1. If you didn't care about the live sessions or the alternate/new mixes, I guess you could skip this.

But how fascinating is this? The Pierrot in Turquoise session, which hasn't been officially released except on the Love You Till Tuesday DVD, features on this new release. It's from a TV adaptation of Bowie's first stage piece in collaboration with mime artist Lindsay Kemp:

Excellent, I'm in.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So, what is the definitive version of the Outside demos? Do we know exactly what was presented?
    I have The (roughly 1 hour long) Leon Suites on my plex server, but that's all I've heard.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So, what is the definitive version of the Outside demos? Do we know exactly what was presented?
    I have The (roughly 1 hour long) Leon Suites on my plex server, but that's all I've heard.

That's all that's leaked but apparently there are hundreds of hours in the can.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    That's all that's leaked but apparently there are hundreds of hours in the can.
    Well, ok.
    I'm a musician. There are several hours of me and my cohorts fucking around, on record, and THEN, there are early versions of tracks, and jam sessions, that were never meant to see the light of day.

So I think these demos are what's important. A group of musicians just fucking around for hours: it's a cool relic, but it...I mean, they weren't DEMOS.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-16-2021 at 02:31 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Well, ok.
    I'm a musician. There are several hours of me and my cohorts fucking around, on record, and THEN, there are early versions of tracks, and jam sessions, that were never meant to see the light of day.

So I think these demos are what's important. A group of musicians just fucking around for hours: it's a cool relic, but it...I mean, they weren't DEMOS.
    You make a good point, but this was designed from the start as an avant-garde piece to be assembled from improvisations. So the improv is in many cases pretty close to what made the final record (with some additions, later on). I think there's probably a few more hours of gold to be mined in there, based on what Bowie has said about it. Will they ever get Eno back into the studio to put it together? TBD.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    You make a good point, but this was designed from the start as an avant-garde piece to be assembled from improvisations. So the improv is in many cases pretty close to what made the final record (with some additions, later on). I think there's probably a few more hours of gold to be mined in there, based on what Bowie has said about it. Will they ever get Eno back into the studio to put it together? TBD.
    Now, if Eno were to curate it, THAT would be a wildly different story. We can only hope that happens one day.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    from the man himself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowie
    The one thing I can truly, seriously think about in the future that I would like to get my teeth into—it's just so daunting—is the rest of the work that [Brian] Eno and I did when we started to do the Outside album [in 1994]. We did improv for eight days, and we had something in the area of 20 hours' worth of stuff that I just cannot begin to get close to listening to. But there are some absolute gems in there...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ Okay, 20 hours then.

In other news, shit goddamn Visconti... you've done it again!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I recently got my hands on a 4-CD set of the final two Dissonance shows from the Oct. 28-29 Great Western Forum. Professional artwork and everything, in a deluxe jewel box. I had no idea this thing even existed and then, one day..there it was on Musicstack. The shows themselves are fantastic. Bowie and NIN were still in fine form even at the end of that run. The Motel still hadn't made it into the setlist yet, but Jump They Say was relieved for the always-welcome Strangers When We Meet on both nights..