Page 63 of 84 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    An unreleased (almost entirely) instrumental song off the Earthling sessions got released today:

Love it! Give me more Earthling rarities.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Love it! Give me more Earthling rarities.
    So far that’s what the is it any wonder set is!

I *wonder* what the surprise is next week.

I guess either:

A. Purchasable High Res release (possibly Vinyl) of Is it Any Wonder?

B. 90’s boxset announcement, of which the is it any wonder EP is forming a great teaser.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    So far that’s what the is it any wonder set is!

I *wonder* what the surprise is next week.

I guess either:

A. Purchasable High Res release (possibly Vinyl) of Is it Any Wonder?

B. 90’s boxset announcement, of which the is it any wonder EP is forming a great teaser.
    REALLY hoping the EP is titled this because it will include the song of the same name (a.k.a. Funhouse). Been wanting that in good quality for a long time now – BowieNet wasn't exactly able to deliver great sounding files.

And yeah, get this next box set announced ffs. If it has Outside with no Leon I'll not be participating, though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    REALLY hoping the EP is titled this because it will include the song of the same name (a.k.a. Funhouse). Been wanting that in good quality for a long time now – BowieNet wasn't exactly able to deliver great sounding files.

And yeah, get this next box set announced ffs. If it has Outside with no Leon I'll not be participating, though.
    My Dream of all Dreams is for them to release the Outside tour and have NIN release a complimentary release of their set (the collaborations would probably be on Bowie’s album)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well it looks like we’re getting the 1995 version of TMWSTW after all and sort of Fun: https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2020...g-and-physical

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    We've had already TMWSTW from one of the Outside singles. I'd rather they released the 1997 updated version of it, which included additional d'n'b beats on top.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Okay... so after my grump about I Can't Read '97 I'm sufficiently cheered by the latest Is It Any Wonder? material. Baby Universal '97, Nuts and Stay '97 are all a bit more like it! I've not heard the Clownboy mixes of Fun, but knowing Danny Saber is on the mix then I'll assume it is suitably electronic.
    As for TMWSTW '95 - it is a great recording and I guess just about rare enough to warrant inclusion. Might actually be tempted to pick up a CD for the first time in like forever. I do wonder what the motivation is for doing a release like this though... have they given up with the boxsets now? I'm not a collector so don't bother buying them, but I'm hoping for a lot more 90s material to appear digitally... my collection is missing a few edits and mixes from the Earthling era which I hoped would appear on a Re:call disc. I'd also be very keen on some Earthling era live material... an official recording of O Superman would make my decade.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

David Bowie

Is there any where to buy this in FLAC? Debating ordering the CD (ha) just to get lossless files.

Edit: well I ordered the CD.
    Last edited by tricil; 02-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I want lossless too, but no preorders for it at the usual haunts. I suspect it'll show up at HDtracks on release day. Nabbed the LP, though, and happy it doesn't have the ChangesNowBowie track.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Both record store day releases are going to be available on CD. Nice!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I know, I know...it's a picture disc, but I'm 100% getting this when it drops next month.

I mean come on...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ While picture discs are rarely what I'm after (sound quality usually leaves a lot to be desired)... I'm just glad they're not reissuing the horrendous 2015 remaster from the Five Years box set anymore with all the digital glitches, and have instead reverted to the 40th Anniversary one that EMI did for the original mixes.

I'm guessing the album master is too damaged to do any more transfers, which is a shame.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ While picture discs are rarely what I'm after (sound quality usually leaves a lot to be desired)... I'm just glad they're not reissuing the horrendous 2015 remaster from the Five Years box set anymore with all the digital glitches, and have instead reverted to the 40th Anniversary one that EMI did for the original mixes.

I'm guessing the album master is too damaged to do any more transfers, which is a shame.
    I was wondering about this. The Conversation Piece boxset from last year also uses the 2009 master

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I was wondering about this. The Conversation Piece boxset from last year also uses the 2009 master
    Do you mean the single of the whole album?
    Because Conversation Piece includes all-new 2019 remix of the album and it sounds super different, with Bowie's vocals much deeper in the mix but all the instruments brought up.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    "2019 mix" uses some different takes of almost every song, too. Haven't read any media about it, is the consensus "yay" or "nay"?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    "2019 mix" uses some different takes of almost every song, too. Haven't read any media about it, is the consensus "yay" or "nay"?
    I don't know about the media, but the 2019 mix was a big yay for me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Do you mean the single of the whole album?
    Because Conversation Piece includes all-new 2019 remix of the album and it sounds super different, with Bowie's vocals much deeper in the mix but all the instruments brought up.
    The conversation piece box set includes the entire 2009 mastered version of the album as well as the 2019 Visconti mix.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Not sure if this was shared at the time. My headphones just got a 360 audio update and this was what they linked me along with the Space Oddity album:

Last edited by Jon; 03-18-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not sure if this was shared at the time. My headphones just got a 360 audio update and this was what they linked me along with the Space Oddity album:

That’s so weird to me. It’s just left and right speakers, right?

This and “surround headphones” seem like audio snake oil.

That said, let me know how it is.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

This is probably going to sound silly, but a fair comparison would be Freddie Mercury vocals. Certain sound elements seem to come from everywhere. Instead of the vocals feeling "up-front" they feel "on-top". From the jump, you're getting an audio experience that simulates more expensive headphones with a wider soundstage. The space gives the illusion that you're listening to the recording live, as it's being recorded. I've had great results with jazz and ambient music, while rock has been a mixed bag.

It's definitely snake oil of some kind.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

you can use phasing and certain EQ methods to give sound a more thee-dimensional feel. sometimes when i'm mixing, especially on headphones, if i EQ something a particular way, it seems to sit below the other instruments, or behind my ears. i always try to make it so the vocals feel like they're coming either from far away, up in a distant cave (using a shit ton of reverb), or i'm literally screaming in your face (or there's two of me, one screaming on each side of your head). now, applying that to music that has already been mixed without those intentions? that's why @Jon is having better luck with things like jazz, because jazz is usually mixed with a lot of separation between the instruments. when that's the case, it becomes easier to spatially orient them post-mixing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where I can find a download of the most recent release of NIN/Bowie Back In Anger bootleg? If I remember correctly, the recent bootleg vinyl releases were a better version than the initial soundboard recording but I could be wrong. If anyone is willing to share a link to the best quality version of the show (both sets) that would be amazing -- I believe it is the 10/11/95 MO show.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a download of the most recent release of NIN/Bowie Back In Anger bootleg? If I remember correctly, the recent bootleg vinyl releases were a better version than the initial soundboard recording but I could be wrong. If anyone is willing to share a link to the best quality version of the show (both sets) that would be amazing -- I believe it is the 10/11/95 MO show.
    Sign up for bowiestation.com and grab it here (also includes Prick's opening set!). Then grab everything else!
    Last edited by botley; 03-20-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I bought that silver Cd set, it's cheap on ebay. it's not so great however, looks mp3 sourced + they managed the fuck up the end by switching the order of the last two songs + some of the banter is duplicated too. I am assuming the live hate boot remains the best option, i downloaded that many years ago and I think it's better overall.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I bought that silver Cd set, it's cheap on ebay. it's not so great however, looks mp3 sourced + they managed the fuck up the end by switching the order of the last two songs + some of the banter is duplicated too. I am assuming the live hate boot remains the best option, i downloaded that many years ago and I think it's better overall.
    Nah, the source I linked is a bit perfect transfer from the master DAT.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nah, the source I linked is a bit perfect transfer from the master DAT.
    sorry i'm not on bowiestation to check your link, is that the source you are refering to? Source: Mono SBD > XLR > DBX 160XT (leveling) > Sony TCD-D8 > TDK DC4-90 (16/48) 450mb.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    sorry i'm not on bowiestation to check your link, is that the source you are refering to? Source: Mono SBD > XLR > DBX 160XT (leveling) > Sony TCD-D8 > TDK DC4-90 (16/48) 450mb.
    Yes and the Bowiestation transfer is a bit-for-bit digital rip of that source (with some editing/leveling in the digital realm). I think Live Hate has another step to analogue and back again in the lineage.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It’s also on ninlive

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It’s also on ninlive
    Just NIN/TR's portion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

David Bowie