Page 57 of 84 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    Wow, which albums were needledrops?
    Not albums, a lot of the single mixes/outtake/etc tracks. I had a list somewhere from some dork on stevehoffman.tv.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Not albums, a lot of the single mixes/outtake/etc tracks. I had a list somewhere from some dork on stevehoffman.tv.
    "A lot"? More like a handful where tape sources no longer exist.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    A post from Tony Visconti on Facebook:
    There seems to be a lot of erroneous and egregious comments about the remix of Lodger. For the record, remixing began in the middle of 2015, never before. It has been well documented that David and I always wanted to remix Lodger but there never seemed to be a good time to do that. In 2015 we were making Blackstar together and David was also busy with his musical Lazarus. There were short periods when David wasn't in the studio, yet I was in a high state of creativity. I opened up Fantastic Voyage and started to mix it and after a few hours I left it in a better state than I had found it (I did more tweaking later on). A few weeks later I tackled African Night Flight and Move On. Then I knew this album could sound great. After I had mixed Yassassin and Red Sails I surprised David with the results. He was extremely pleased and gave me the green light to finish mixing the entire album. Because we were still working on Blackstar that year I never got a chance to complete it until later in 2016 due to my other production commitments and Holy Holy tours. There you have it from me.
    So these new mixes (at least half of them) would have been approved by DB.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Honestly, if I want someone to remix a classic album. Better be someone who was involved in the album to begin with rather than someone who would do something totally different w/o the consent of those involved. Plus, it's Tony Visconti who doesn't get a lot of credit for his work as a producer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Are people upset about this? It's Tony Visconti. Worst case we don't like it... and who cares? But again... it's Visconti. He was involved in the original. Was Bowie's "voice on Earth" or whatever those last few years by Bowie's own design... surely no one would be upset about a new mix on the album (a criminally underrated one at that - more coverage for Lodger the better).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm into a LODGER remix for the sake of it, but I've always thought the weird muddy, dubby quality it had lent itself to being like a tape you found in some weird stall while traveling. Might be projecting more concept than they had in mind, though. Just think I'll go "hrm, interesting" but ultimately go back to the old one.

Also, and I love DB obviously, I don't really trust the approval of rock stars who blasted out their hearing with 40 years of live touring when it comes to remasters.
    Last edited by polski; 08-21-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Why anybody not interested in the remix would be upset at its existence is beyond me. It won't erase the original mix.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Why anybody not interested in the remix would be upset at its existence is beyond me. It won't erase the original mix.
    Exactly this. It's not going to be sold separately outside of the box set, either, so you can safely ignore it if you don't want to hear it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just a heads up:

David Bowie 'Live In Berlin' EP Streaming for Limited Time

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...d-time-w505472

https://open.spotify.com/album/4TYxYOlZqME2O7x3fTAn4y

Nothing too crazy but for the big fans.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So the box set will be out this friday. Really looking forward to the Lodger remix!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Depeche Mode rendition of "Heroes" wasn't mentioned yet?

Maybe Dave could take it a bit more easy, Martin could play guitar less like it is just static copy-paste repeat, and maybe they could choose less obvious song, but still pretty good and respectful I think.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I think it's fucking incredible. Dave nailed it on the vocals as I'm eager for a mashup of this version with ones by Motorhead and King Crimson.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So there seem to be a few issues with the new remasters in the ANCIANT box set. In reviews on Amazon they are speaking of "unacceptable mastering errors", a "flawed box set" and a "terrible" remastering.

The criticisms seem to specifically be directed at volume drops during 'Heroes', an overcooked bass heavy remastering of Low as well as various issues with the remaster of Lodger.

Warner, in turn, stresses how they went back to the original analogue master tapes and that they were very keen to maintain "the integrity" of those tapes, which contained some of those errors and hiss to begin with.

I don't know what to think of this yet, as I've only just now listened to the remix of Lodger and thought it sounded fine, even better in fact than the original mix. So what's everyone else's opinion?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Similar to the Maslin STS mix, it seems Visconti went and replaced snares and bass drum on a bunch of stuff on LODGER. You don't do that to Dennis Davis, dude was a beast.

In general though I think going back to whatever Ryko's digitzation of the tapes were pre-NR and raw, and working with those would have been a better move than pulling the actual tapes which have 30 more years of deterioration to them.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The volume drop in "Heroes" is barely noticeable to me and I like TV's remix of Lodger better. I can deal with a little bit more noise in "Neuköln." The set sounds great to me.

I just wish the '91 bonuses were on it. Some of my favourite Bowie tracks in there.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    if anyone is looking to get Aladdin Sane on 180g vinyl, it's only $12 on amazon right now

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if anyone is looking to get Aladdin Sane on 180g vinyl, it's only $12 on amazon right now
    I so would if it wasn't Prime only.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I so would if it wasn't Prime only.
    ? there's no such thing as "prime only" as far as i know, that just means that if you HAVE prime, you get free shipping on it. but i've also had prime forever. want me to buy it and have it shipped to you and you can paypal me the money?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    In reviews on Amazon they are speaking of "unacceptable mastering errors", a "flawed box set" and a "terrible" remastering.
    These "people" have "too much" time on "their hands". Perhaps the master tapes have deteriorated, but I certainly trust Tony Visconti to pay attention to what treatment they put into these albums, they are his biggest calling card as a producer.

Paul from SuperDeluxeEdition did a comparison between the 2017 remaster/remix discs and the 1991 EMI/Rykodisc remaster of Lodger. Pretty good overview of what to expect from these discs — lots of extra bass. I like it fine, though I'm not dumping my Rykodisc copies because a)the bonus tracks aren't all ported over — even the "Space Oddity" '79 redux on the Rkyo Scary Monsters is different remix from the original mix on Re:Call 3 — and b)some songs come across better without the bass boost, as Paul noted.
    Last edited by botley; 10-04-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    ? there's no such thing as "prime only" as far as i know
    Log out of your Amazon account and go back to the page. You'll see it clearly states "Exclusively for Prime Members. This item is reserved for Prime members."

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    ? there's no such thing as "prime only" as far as i know, that just means that if you HAVE prime, you get free shipping on it. but i've also had prime forever. want me to buy it and have it shipped to you and you can paypal me the money?
    If you’re willing I’m game to send some money flow.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Log out of your Amazon account and go back to the page. You'll see it clearly states "Exclusively for Prime Members. This item is reserved for Prime members."
    oh, that's shitty. i had no idea they did things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    If you’re willing I’m game to send some money flow.
    yeah, dude. i'll shoot you a message and we'll figure it out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yesterday listened to the new compilation via streaming with enabled shuffle. Got "Breaking glass" 2 times (one studio, one live), then "Scary monsters" 2 times (one live, one studio) then "Breaking glass" again, and after some other song - "African night flight" also twice.

Why i tell you guys this random thing? Just thought i'd share how much variety i got in 40-minute walk.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's an article about parlophone's response to all the shitty reviews of the new box. As folks here have said, probably not as bad as many of the reviews have said, but after knowing what you're listening for on heroes and knowing how they tried to fix the damaged audio it's hard to overlook. Even though it's not my fave bowie song it is perhaps the most famous. I have waffled on buying any of these boxes, but I think the price and lack of bonus tracks is going to make me skip these and fill in my collection with single discs. Sounds like the remasters are not significantly better enough than what's out there for me to buy all these. It's a shame they cost so much because if they were a bit cheaper I'd be in, I do love a box set with lots of liner notes. http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...ng-criticisms/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    With all due respect, i can't help but think "when there's smoke there's fire"
    Shouldn't we raise concern that they pedal Tony Visconti as a safety gauge - that if he was there, he knows how it should sound.
    People in their 70s hear less, they will tune the tracks for their old ears and may not notice something younger audience will notice.

p.s.
    Absolutely not trying to troll, I'm really just curious and would like to be pointed to some good sources on the subject.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

David Bowie

The whole thing sounded kind of bass heavy to me but I enjoyed the Lodger remix just out of curiosity. The most obvious difference to me was that in general the drums seem more prominent and the vocals aren't sitting on top of the mix anymore.

There were a lot of complaints on that Steve Hoffman board, which is totally insufferable to read, but I did notice the bass/lack of treble compared to the other issues. There's a difference between "warm" and "muddy." Like BenAkenobi said, I do think that treble becomes a lot harsher as you age due to a loss of nerves in that range which leads the other nerves to overcompensate until they stop working altogether (even if you don't develop hearing loss from traumatic exposure in and of itself) and that might be part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I mean, these remasters sounded like dogshit but it's nice to get a visual confirmation that I wasn't going crazy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzu...RjTTlCLTg/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzu...RRVnZSRFU/view
    Last edited by polski; 10-09-2017 at 04:41 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anybody know about how long after these box sets are released til they usually release the individual titles on vinyl?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Anybody know about how long after these box sets are released til they usually release the individual titles on vinyl?
    The pattern seems to be that the box is released at the end of one year, then the first half of the next year has the breakouts, and the cycle continues. So each year has breakouts from the last box in the first half and the next box in the second half.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just watched this in full for the first time (heard it before). This is more than just a novelty and is actually a really good duet.

Good article on the recording:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121901260.html
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-14-2017 at 03:03 AM.