Page 58 of 84 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    And this is hilarious:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Has this been mentioned yet? Just heard about it on the New Wave channel on XM. Sounds interesting.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Has this been mentioned yet? Just heard about it on the New Wave channel on XM. Sounds interesting.
    This is not a new documentary. Sorry to say. This is the same doc that premiered in January on BBC. It must just have been acquired by HBO.

It can be streamed on BBC Two.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6375308/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I miss Bowie.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I miss Bowie.
    Who doesn't?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Who doesn't?
    true true. doesn't hurt to articulate it once in awhile though. i thought the bowie cover that NIN did @ the vegas show was a highlight. can't help but think that bowie would've liked it. was very emotional.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    This is not a new documentary. Sorry to say. This is the same doc that premiered in January on BBC. It must just have been acquired by HBO.

It can be streamed on BBC Two.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6375308/

NO shit. Well as for ME, i haven't seen it yet.
    How come you didn't tell me about it?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    We did, but you didn't pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    >> BBC TWO announces a new landmark film, David Bowie: The Last Five Years to air in January 2017, produced and directed by Francis Whately as a follow-up to his acclaimed David Bowie: Five Years which was broadcast on BBC Two in 2013.
    As with the first film, this new piece will feature a wealth of rare and unseen archive footage and early audio interviews which have never been released before. This includes the original vocal which Bowie recorded for Lazarus, his last release before his death, which has never been heard before.
    David Bowie: The Last Five Years will focus on the three major projects of Bowie's last five years - the best-selling albums, The Next Day and Blackstar, alongside the musical Lazarus.
    Oh look!

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    There is a new documentary called David Bowie: The Last Five Years that has some great insight and new interviews and information regarding, well, Bowie's last five years.
    It is great, and obviously a fucking tear jerker.

It's on my Plex for those of you who are connected, and can be found online if you know where to look
    Last edited by fillow; 12-05-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    We did, but you didn't pay attention.

Oh look!
    Oh goddamnit.
    So i HAVE already seen it hahahahaha.

And was I the first person to mention it here?

I am goofy.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-05-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    This is a quote from the Marilyn Manson thread if people are wondering. I wanted to respond to it, but I didn't want to go off topic over there.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNINtendo Chalmers View Post
    Fuck it, I'll say it...it is NOT OK to not be a Bowie fan, here, there, or anywhere. You've wasted your life.
    Then you are not going to believe this... While at work a couple years ago, Bowie came up in conversation, I forgot why it was, doesn't really matter, all that matters is I work in a huge office of probably close to 1000 employees. Anyway, Bowie came up somehow, and my friend and I mentioned it to this other co-worker of ours, and he had no idea who we were talking about. He literally did NOT know David Bowie. Now, to give this fella the benefit of the doubt, he is originally from the Phillippines and migrated to Canada in about 2009, he's also a tad younger, He was probably 24 at the time we had this conversation. I figured that people from around the world regardless of where you were from knew David Bowie...

Anyway, now THIS became the hot topic, we went to someone else "Can you believe Neil doesn't know who David Bowie is?" And that person would stare at us like a deer in headlights as well... "David who" They would respond. I couldn't believe this, we started asking more people, as it became unheard of that this many people did NOT know who he was. It became such a running joke that everyone started asking everyone if they knew who David Bowie was. One girl said "I only know his name because we share the same birthday"

I could not believe this! I told this story to a Bowie mega fan friend of mine, and to my surprise, he said something along the lines of that he wasn't surprised and that Bowie really isn't the household name we think he is. He's big, but big in different ways than say U2 or Michael Jackson are. He doesn't reach the masses and tends to stay out of the limelight and makes music that doesn't appeal to everyone.

So, this got me thinking... Yeah, Bowie is big, but he still managed to stay strangely underground a bit, in a weird kinda way.

This comment made me think of that story, because it's like, how do you NOT know David Bowie! What have you been doing with your life lol.

Also, I'm going to leave this here. Not really David Bowie, but it's kinda Bowie spotting... you guys are going to HATE this though... but it's kinda catchy haha.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    well for what it's worth, bowie has been in hiding for the most part of the past 15 years, arguably the years of the internet/mobiles boom and these days people only know what they see/hear on internet, especially younger people.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Kinda-sort of-Bowie spotting. I visit Jalopnik so figured to share...

https://jalopnik.com/david-bowie-own...and-1821742739

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I've just discovered this blog and it's fucking awesome; I've been reading it all day.
    It is comprised of long, amazingly detailed articles about EVERY bowie song, beautifully written and full of exhaustive bits of trivia, quotes, talk of influences and more.
    Any Bowie fan would get a kick out of this.
    https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-07-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    demo of 'let's dance' has just been released for streaming/download:

https://www.stereogum.com/1977584/he...rodgers/music/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    additionally, i just posted this 2+ hour long mix of obscurities, outtakes, and deep cuts:
    http://www.post-punk.com/torture-com...vid-bowie-mix/

enjoy! <3

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Happy 71st B-day David. We still miss you. Hope you're having a good time w/ the King and being entertained by the likes of George Michael, John Lennon, George Harrison, Freddie Mercury, Biggie, & 2Pac.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Happy 71st B-day David. We still miss you. Hope you're having a good time w/ the King and being entertained by the likes of George Michael, John Lennon, George Harrison, Freddie Mercury, Biggie, & 2Pac.
    Bowie isn't dead. He's on the spaceship with Michael Jackson and Tupac.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    so are you guys aware of this blog?

I have to mention it again. It's fucking AWESOME if you are into Bowie. It's fucking awesome even if you are only into one or two Bowie records.

SERIOUSLY, check it out!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Bowie isn't dead. He's on the spaceship with Michael Jackson and Tupac.
    Oh yeah! With Elvis and Frank Sinatra as they're currently doing a series of shows on Mars and then they'll be going to Jupiter as long as they try to find a cool way to get through the Asteroid Belt.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    so are you guys aware of this blog?

I have to mention it again. It's fucking AWESOME if you are into Bowie. It's fucking awesome even if you are only into one or two Bowie records.

SERIOUSLY, check it out!

Yes, we were, it pops up in this thread from time to time for years. A caution though, if you're reading it in chronological order from the start - as the years go by, the author begins writing about everything else in the world but the actual song until the last paragraph, filling the articles with unneccessary amount of cultural references that may or may not had influenced the song. This first became noticeable when he announced that his blog will become a book, and its particularly annoying in the 1990s since he's very clearly doesn't like that era's material.
    Last edited by fillow; 01-08-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, we were, it pops up in this thread from time to time for years. A caution though, if you're reading it in chronological order from the start - as the years go by, the author begins writing about everything else in the world but the actual song until the last paragraph, filling the articles with unneccessary amount of cultural references that may or may not had influenced the song. This first became noticeable when he announced that his blog will become a book, and its particularly annoying in the 1990s since he's very clearly doesn't like that era's material.
    Which sucks, because he seems to completely ignore the whole narrative surrounding 1. Outside.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Does anyone have anyone have any insight as to why all of the tracks from the Live Nassau '76 show sound FANTASTIC except for 'Life on Mars?' and 'Five Years'? They both sound like they were both from a different source than what the rest of the show is sourced from.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Does anyone have anyone have any insight as to why all of the tracks from the Live Nassau '76 show sound FANTASTIC except for 'Life on Mars?' and 'Five Years'? They both sound like they were both from a different source than what the rest of the show is sourced from.
    That's exactly why. They had to patch the album with lower quality tracks (possibly audience sourced) for completeness sake, because the original tapes were either lost or damaged.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Evan is coming to the ATL to sing Bowie songs!!!!!! I'm fucking there. I just hope I don't get sick.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @thevoid99 why would you get sick? That flu bug going around or did you just get too close to DJT?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    @thevoid99 why would you get sick? That flu bug going around or did you just get too close to DJT?
    I usually get sick during the spring. Allergies.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I usually get sick during the spring. Allergies.
    Did you go to the tour recently with the members of Bowie's band? I wanted to go because I really like Mike Garson, but the timing on the whole thing just didn't work for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Elon Musk Tesla he launched into orbit I saw reports on this on CNN and MSNBC they reported that the car was playing David Bowie's Space Oddity and another reported it was Life On Mars but the song playing in the background for the news junket was Starman. Why do they do this?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    Did you go to the tour recently with the members of Bowie's band? I wanted to go because I really like Mike Garson, but the timing on the whole thing just didn't work for me.
    No. This will actually be my first time, hopefully. I had a chance to see Bowie & NIN back in '95 but the person that was supposed to take me forgot because she was a stupid fucking drunk that squanders everything and also fucked over her husband who is a good friend of my parents. My father couldn't take me at the time because he broke his foot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No. This will actually be my first time, hopefully. I had a chance to see Bowie & NIN back in '95 but the person that was supposed to take me forgot because she was a stupid fucking drunk that squanders everything and also fucked over her husband who is a good friend of my parents. My father couldn't take me at the time because he broke his foot.

I saw Bowie on the Earthling and Reality tours, had I known that Reality was going to be the last tour I would have gone to more Reality shows. I was lucky enough to see him and had really good seats for Reality but there were so many songs by him that I wanted to see him play. Like Station To Station and there are a lot of songs off of Outside I would have loved to see him play live. I hope that in the future the people handling Bowie's estate will release official concert tour videos.