Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Anyone know the content differences between the two tour programs?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ No idea, except the first one would have been sold at the early North American shows with NIN, and the second on the European leg with other bands ending in February '96. Same touring personnel on both legs, if I remember right.

He's serving some Laura Palmer realness in that cover shot tho.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Bowie and Michael Gira look like twins from different decades

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Anyone know the content differences between the two tour programs?

From here:

Twenty-five years ago tonight (8th December 1995), Bowie played the penultimate show of the 1995 leg of The Outside World Tour in Manchester, ahead of the final show of 1995 at the Birmingham NEC on 13th December 1995. This was as part of The Big Twix Mix Show as recently released as No Trendy Réchauffé (Live Birmingham 95).

The tour kicked off again a month later the following year, on 17th January 1996 in Finland. At this point the tour programme still declared: DAVID BOWIE OUTSIDE TOUR 1995* on the wraparound tracing paper outer. This outer cover let Bowie’s self-portrait (as featured on the Outside sleeve), show through from the cover of the 28-page programme proper.

However, a personnel change in June 1996 that shrank the band from eight members (including Bowie), down to five (still including Bowie…as you might think), necessitated an alteration to the credits on the inside of the back cover. The 96 was also added to page 3 and the front wraparound at the same time. Our montage shows this later 96 version which is often sold as the Japanese edition.

The picture of David in our montage was taken by Mark Allan at rehearsals in Hartford in 1995. A distorted version of the same shot was used in the programme.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Good catch, so it's not entirely clear if they were still selling the inside 28-page book from '95 with the '96 wraparound or not.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So Trent totally copied Bowie when he fired half of the band after Tension, amirite?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So Trent totally copied Bowie when he fired half of the band after Tension, amirite?
    . I know that carlos alomar Bailed because his wife was ill. He said as much in a semi-recent interview i found on spotify. As for the others…. I’d have to think about it

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I think that when Alomar made his withdrawal announcement, Bowie and Gabrels decided they could get away with putting some of his rhythm parts on backing tape, and that they might as well put all the backing vocals and synths of the other two players on said tape. Gabrels basically took over the musical director chair at that point, too, after being 'only a sideman' for Black Tie White Noise and 1. Outside. Then they hooked up with Mark Plati in the summer of '96 and the Earthling lineup was in place.
    Last edited by botley; 07-17-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    At this point I've given up expecting any Leon material - for at least another decade anyway while they trawl through the vaults for more limited edition boxset material. Whatevs.
    Strange getting previously unreleased mixes for those Earthling singles though - just wish they'd be made available on CD or HQ mp3. I'll definitely be grabbing the Brilliant Adventure RSD bonus EP. The dribs and drabs aspect of this does wind you up though. Still annoyed that the Is It Any Wonder material wasn't added to the main boxset!
    Old post I know, but wanted to reply anyway.

The Leon stuff isn't hard to find, and I think that's all we're going to get. The quality of what has leaked is great, and when I listened to it, I can understand why a record company wouldn't want to release it. It's an interesting listen having lived with Outside for so long, but it's not something that I'd listen to a lot. I doubt many people would buy it, and aside from hardcore fans, I would think any casual fans buying it would probably complain that they wasted their money!

As to Is It Any Wonder material not being on the main boxset, they've been pretty clear about not putting anything in the box sets that hasn't been officially released previously. I don't see it as a bad thing, as it makes it easier to get the rare stuff without having to buy the boxes if you have that stuff already. I actually skipped the last box set because I already have the records aside from Buddha, and I have that 10 CD box set with Outside through Reality that collects the b-sides. I was a completist about getting stuff but since have started to be more selective, and actually opting to get CD's for the more recent EP's since it all recorded digitally anyway.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I haven't seen a movie in a theatre since 2019, and I can't wait to go see Moonage Daydream in IMAX. It looks so good, Visconti is involved so it will sound good, and seeing that 1978 footage in HD is mind blowing!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    RSD exclusives are now on streaming, along with an EP of further Fun versions/remixes.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Moar fun!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    After much deliberation I finally purchased the Brilliant Adventure box set. It’s my favourite Bowie era, possibly tied with the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters but after missing out on all the 90s live albums and previous box sets I decided screw it, treat myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    RSD exclusives are now on streaming, along with an EP of further Fun versions/remixes.
    srsly, the levels of fuckery with this song has surpassed my patience. They have teased us with this song a hundred times over. But we still do not have the proper studio version or the far superior live version, Is it Any Wonder? F this noise.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    srsly, the levels of fuckery with this song has surpassed my patience. They have teased us with this song a hundred times over. But we still do not have the proper studio version or the far superior live version, Is it Any Wonder? F this noise.

I agree. Even though I'm a huge Bowie fan, aside from a very select few, I have zero interest in remixes of his songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    After much deliberation I finally purchased the Brilliant Adventure box set. It’s my favourite Bowie era, possibly tied with the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters but after missing out on all the 90s live albums and previous box sets I decided screw it, treat myself.

This is the box set I actually decided not to get since I already had all the albums except Buddha on vinyl. If the BBC show didn’t have fades between all the songs, then I maybe would have sprung for it. Since I have that 10 CD box collecting Outside through Reality with the bonus discs, this doesn’t have much to offer on ReCall 5. It's actually down to $250 on Amazon, which is a good deal, but I can't bring myself to get it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    since they released the brilliant adventure EP on streaming i went looking to see if it is available for digital purchase and it looks like it is, but i noticed my usual source for lossless download purchases (7digital) no longer has bowie's main catalog. I also see talking heads are missing. real bummer, as other places seem to usually be more expensive. looks like maybe qobuz is cheapest option now, anyone have suggestions where else to pick these digital bowie eps up?

I haven't been buying the box sets because i pretty much have most everything elsewhere. was also disappointed with the choice to leave off some really excellent stuff like the tracks from 30th anniversary diamond dogs. some of that is so essential, Alternative Candidate, Dodo, Candidate Intimacy mix... just crazy those didn't get included in the box.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    I haven't been buying the box sets because i pretty much have most everything elsewhere. was also disappointed with the choice to leave off some really excellent stuff like the tracks from 30th anniversary diamond dogs. some of that is so essential, Alternative Candidate, Dodo, Candidate Intimacy mix... just crazy those didn't get included in the box.
    It's been discussed at length, but it seems that before he died and he left his "road map" for posthumous releases, it was decided that these box sets should only include things that were officially released during the original time period. The exceptions are the new mixes of albums that are exclusive to the boxes, and the Gouster, which did feature some tracks that weren't released until the Ryko reissues. I can see how that strategy makes sense. All the bonus tracks from Ryko releases or the various reissues such as the 30th anniversary releases are still easily found on those releases.

My big issue is they still are ALL OVER THE PLACE with what they're doing for reissues. They made a huge deal around Space Oddity and reissuing tons of demos and other stuff in vinyl boxes, then finally compiling it all into a 5CD set. A lot of it isn't all that interesting, and I think the main drive behind that was to extend the copyright, but still, it made it all available in one place. They sort of continued that with The Man Who Sold The World where there was a new mix and a collecting of the various stuff. Then, NOTHING FOR HUNKY DORY except yet another picture disc. I still don't understand why they didn't compile something for that. There is for sure lots of material they could have put together: Ryko bonus tracks, the BOWPROMO release, some BBC stuff, etc. I'm sure there's more in the vaults that's worth hearing, gotta be some Life on Mars demos or something.

Then, same with Ziggy, we get yet another picture disc, and a half speed master which by all accounts isn't better than the 40th anniversary vinyl edition which is basically the benchmark on how to do these properly. I know they have done it to death, but they could have made a nice set for Ziggy and if they had done a little bit of work, fans would have bought it.

Being a Bowie fan these last few years has been hard. The merch store is a ridiculous, just slapping his name and image on any and everything they can think of. It's really absurd. Some of the releases have been nice, the 90's live recordings were nice, and the various EP's let some rare stuff trickle out. Yet, they have completely skipped over the Sound + Vision Tour, which deserves some sort of live release (or several given the changing set lists). I understand Tin Machine seems to be held up by one of the Sales brothers wanting more money for TM2. To skip over the 1990 live stuff just seems like another huge missed opportunity.

They did finally release Toy, and seem to have dumped the vaults out completely where it's almost too much stuff. Why can't they do that for the 70's stuff?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    They did finally release Toy, and seem to have dumped the vaults out completely where it's almost too much stuff. Why can't they do that for the 70's stuff?
    I'm right there with you. And I think the reasoning is money. Bowie's gone, there's no more Bowie music, so they need to "discover" unreleased stuff in perpetuity. Otherwise they can't keep making money off him.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Brilliant Live Adventures CDs and vinyl are back for pre-order.

https://store.rhino.com/en/search/?q...on=&lang=en_US

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I picked up the reissue of Black Tie White Noise recently. It's a decent reissue, nothing super special since its the stand alone album but I'm glad to finally have it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The soundtrack for Moonage Daydream is up for pre-order.

It looks...messy?

https://store.davidbowie.com/product...p=99486_112061

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    bowie barbie... seriously. who comes up with all this shit? who buys all this shit? where does it stop?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I picked up the reissue of Black Tie White Noise recently. It's a decent reissue, nothing super special since its the stand alone album but I'm glad to finally have it.
    I really love Nite Flights on that album. Gets stuck in my head.

And of course the Morrissey cover (which I thought was a Bowie original many years ago).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone else seen Moonage Daydream? + If so, what do y’all think?

I’d be very welcome to hearing arguments in its favor, but I won’t lie, I was pretty disappointed in it by the end and it made me kinda bummed out. I really love it conceptually. and the moments where it dedicated itself to just being a weird overwhelming kaleidoscope of different songs were absolutely incredible, but after like… the first 20-30 minutes or so it falls into a pretty basic formula of repeating footage and weirdly sanitized and bland selections of interviews. Was dedicated to the 70s to the point that it made like… one single vague reference to his death. It got increasingly frustrating for me that it had nothing to offer about him that wasn’t essentially going like “Haha that David Bowie was a pretty cool guy!”

I dunno man! I’m sorry if I’m just bitching about this and if I’m in the minority here I can take the L but like. Man. Not like I was expecting them to go super into every controversial thing about him but if your movie can’t even go into the stay at Berlin without carefully selecting clips to avoid any implication of drug use there’s a problem with how you want to present the main figure of your movie IMO

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I was pretty disappointed in it by the end and it made me kinda bummed out. I really love it conceptually. and the moments where it dedicated itself to just being a weird overwhelming kaleidoscope of different songs were absolutely incredible, but after like… the first 20-30 minutes or so it falls into a pretty basic formula of repeating footage and weirdly sanitized and bland selections of interviews. Was dedicated to the 70s to the point that it made like… one single vague reference to his death. It got increasingly frustrating for me that it had nothing to offer about him that wasn’t essentially going like “Haha that David Bowie was a pretty cool guy!”
    Well, I don't know that the movie needed to "offer" anything, it just presents a larger-than-life cornucopia of the fruits of his creativity. If it's about anything, it was about connecting the dots to some ongoing/recurring explorations he made in the course of that work. That's all. It was certainly not aiming at sweeping biographical detail, and therefore the omissions didn't bother me much. It's neither hagiography nor greatest-hits album, but something different and kind of new. Especially in the theatre, with the sound up really loud and coming from all directions, it's something to just lose yourself inside. Not everybody wants to do that, of course.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Has anyone else seen Moonage Daydream? + If so, what do y’all think?
    I liked it. I was pleasantly surprised that with no narration, text on screen, or traditional documentary stuff, there was still a character arc, a theme, and a chronological throughline. So I was able to keep from feeling disoriented and enjoy whatever piece of the story I was in at any given time.

That said, it was uneven in terms of how much time it dedicated to each era. After an hour or more, I started assuming this would just be a movie about 60s-70s Bowie, but then it got to the 80s for a smaller portion of time than it dedicated to the early years, and then it practically turned the 90s/00s/10s into an extended epilogue. There was a nice three act structure of 1) Bowie feeling like he has to hide behind personas in the 70s, 2) Bowie feeling comfortable with himself but feeling like his music is in service to others instead of to himself in the 80s, and then 3) finding a synthesis where he's comfortable with himself and able to make whatever weird shit he wants to make in the 90s and beyond. But the unevenness of the structure made the third act payoff of that theme feel a little thin.

But either way, it felt like a Bowie movie for Bowie fans, which is cool. If you go in wanting to learn Bowie's life story, you're not going to get much out of it, but if you already know most of the details and just want to spend two hours swimming in Bowie's aura, I think the movie is great for that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Brett Morgen said on the Album To Album podcast that he did script a whole third act about the '90s and on, but it wound up being too repetitious and worked better as a punctuation point, with that crazy montage of "Spaceboy" live performances saying, effectively, "then he came back!"

This is something he did on the Stones movie Crossfire Hurricane too. Ronnie joins, megatour, happily ever after. And the following forty years are just under the credit roll.

He also said he has re-cut effectively every concert film that was ever shot, from Ziggy to the end, but he's not sure if the estate wants to release them all.
    Last edited by botley; 10-05-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He also said he has re-cut effectively every concert film that was ever shot, from Ziggy to the end, but he's not sure if the estate wants to release them all.
    Look, all anyone wants on this board is for the NIN/Bowie Dissonance footage to be re-cut by someone who isn't on ten different kinds of acid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If I'm being greedy, I would also tack on an official release of one (or more!) complete NIN/Bowie shows...with a strong preference for those where Closer to God was played.

Even if you assume all the rights issues magically disappeared, I shudder at the thought of how many more lucrative Bowie eras would have to be mined before something like this would end up at the top of the estate's to-do list - particularly assuming that the BLA releases tick the box for an overwhelming majority of the Bowie fanbase. Sigh...