Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73
Results 2,161 to 2,177 of 2177

Thread: David Bowie

  1. #2161
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    With the millions of unreleased songs and demos still sitting in vaults, I am getting a little tired of live albums and "NEW VISCONTI MIXES" being dumped out instead. Visconti mixes that Bowie had no part of do not excite me. The Leon Suites remastered and in their entirety would suffice
    It's been that way forever. We used to call him David the Merciless for all the "remaster with 1 or 2 unreleased songs" releases.

  2. #2162
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Hearts Filthy Lesson is a tremendous alarm on the weekends.

  3. #2163
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Because of the alarm above I went back and gave Outside another listen. There's a lot going on there, and I still don't understand it even with the diary. Some great layering and effects on a set of good headphones.

  4. #2164
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,381
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I agree, endless mixes of things we already have just seems like an odd/lazy choice.
    Lazy indeed..

    These new Visconti mixes of perfectly fine Bowie songs are pointless and unnecessary. That Holy Holy one sounds way overblown compared even to the original mix. It was cool when Ryko reissued Bowie's stuff on CD in the early 90s with the bonus tracks, because CDs were relatively new and it gave his earlier stuff a nice boost in sound quality. These new mixes just smack of vulturing. Not going to be suckered into buying something I already have that sounds fine as is..

  5. #2165
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    The Ryko remaster of "Holy Holy" sounded like hot trash, tho. Dunno what chewed up tape, bad needle drop, or shitbum early-90s computer denoising they were using, but it was FUBAR compared to the original 7", or the re-remastered Parlophone version on Re:Call 1. Bowie vetoed it and they used the 1974 Spiders version instead. And the original single was never mixed to stereo, before Visconti did it last year, so that alone was a good enough reason to remix from the original session tape. Your mileage, of course, may vary...
    Last edited by botley; 05-17-2021 at 07:47 AM.

  6. #2166
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,728
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Holy Holy is one of Bowie's worst songs (from the 70s anyway) so who cares what Tony does with it.

  7. #2167
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    I can't believe a song about demonic sex magick isn't getting more love on a NIN forum, of all places.

  8. #2168
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,381
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I can't believe a song about demonic sex magick isn't getting more love on a NIN forum, of all places.
    Some of us can't believe how a supergroup featuring members of NIN, Tool, Pantera and Depeche Mode (amongst others) doesn't get more love on a NIN forum, of all places, but hey...your mileage may vary..

  9. #2169
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    ^ Just trying to protect our dirty little hearts from inevitable disappointment.

  10. #2170
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just seen this on Twitter today... a clever spot from the final Jimmy King photoshoot.
    https://twitter.com/dazedbee/status/1394915516058382336
    Last edited by ChipRock; 05-19-2021 at 03:34 AM. Reason: I'm stupid?

  11. #2171
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sometimes you get so lonely
    Sometimes you get nowhere
    I've lived all over the world
    I've left every place

  12. #2172
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, muad'nin mentioned in another thread about how I Can't Give Everything Away references A New Career In A New Town. The Next Day also has some references to past work. That got me wondering if these references are documented some place? I've picked up on some in The Next Day because I've been listening to it lately but I bet there's a lot that have completely gone over my head. Does anyone know them all?

    I love it when artists do this sort of thing. No one bats an eye when a film or series has recurring themes but musicians tend not to use that technique from album to album. I think its pretty effective when done tastefully and sparingly.

  13. #2173
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sparkwood and 21
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    So, muad'nin mentioned in another thread about how I Can't Give Everything Away references A New Career In A New Town. The Next Day also has some references to past work. That got me wondering if these references are documented some place? I've picked up on some in The Next Day because I've been listening to it lately but I bet there's a lot that have completely gone over my head. Does anyone know them all?

    I love it when artists do this sort of thing. No one bats an eye when a film or series has recurring themes but musicians tend not to use that technique from album to album. I think its pretty effective when done tastefully and sparingly.
    Not sure if there’s a “BowieWiki” on par with ninwiki, but Pushing Ahead of the Dame is a goldmine for facts and trivia…?

  14. #2174
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    That "Width of a circle" comp surely has some redundant stuff, but the live portion is cool. And how come they always omit Lightning Frightening which is so far exclusive to '91 CD... And Holy Holy also was on Ziggy 2002 bonus disc already...
    Speaking of live, there's this live album - I'm Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) - that's on streaming sites for a week now - and David's sore throat voice is such a disaster on it, almost like some other singer doing his duties. Fun one-time listen, though
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 06-14-2021 at 06:35 AM.

  15. #2175
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    And how come they always omit Lightning Frightening which is so far exclusive to '91 CD...
    'Cause it sucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    And Holy Holy also was on Ziggy 2002 bonus disc already...
    Different recording. Released 1974. Different studio, and different producer. Spiders from Mars lineup.

    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Speaking of live, there's this live album - I'm Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) - that's on streaming sites for a week now - and David's sore throat voice is such a disaster on it, almost like some other singer doing his duties. Fun one-time listen, though
    Yes, it previously was a Record Store Day exclusive. I don't think his voice is that bad, in fact the soul review vocalists and the funky rhythm section make it a real winner for my ears.

  16. #2176
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, it previously was a Record Store Day exclusive...
    I mean, i like the diversity. The overall energy and musicians are great on it. Would recommend to anybody. Getting to stream old concerts is a blessing in some sense.

  17. #2177
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    David Bowie film ‘Just A Gigolo’ to receive first UK release

    https://www.nme.com/news/film/david-...rst-uk-release


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions