Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    This animated GIF of all the album covers in the box is awesome!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Would anyone be willing enough to PM a link or point me in the proper direction to find the best full audio recording from the Serious Moonlight tour?

I know there is a audio only DVD rip of Serious Moonlight but can't seem to track it down. Many thanks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't have it uploaded, and it's on an external that I currently don't have in possession, but the best Serious Moonlight audio as far as I know is Montreal. Here it is on youtube.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Hopefully the proper live album will be released when the reissues campaign reach the 80s. I believe the 2006 4-track Serious Moonlight digital EP was supposed to serve a teaser to the full album which got canned at the time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There are further rumblings that we'll see another deluxe set à la The Next Day Extra for — possibly including a cast recording for the songs from Lazarus.
    Last edited by botley; 09-12-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Details of the Lazarus cast recording, to be released Oct. 21. Will include (on a separate disc) Bowie's three final recordings, "No Plan", "Killing a Little Time" and "When I Met You" from the sessions.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I definitely want to hear these final songs. I haven't listened to * since February.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I definitely want to hear these final songs. I haven't listened to * since February.
    I still listen to it every now and then. I listened to it again this morning on my way to work. It is still my favorite release this year. Nick Cave will come close, though.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Can't wait for this, i agree that "Blackstar" it's still one of the best albums of the year (and i'm happy i have many to choose from...)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Details of the Lazarus cast recording, to be released Oct. 21. Will include (on a separate disc) Bowie's three final recordings, "No Plan", "Killing a Little Time" and "When I Met You" from the sessions.
    I wonder what they will be like lyrically. Nice titles.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Gouster is a good listen. A lot more soulful and personal feeling than Young Americans.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    The Gouster is a good listen. A lot more soulful and personal feeling than Young Americans.
    agreed, though i do miss 'win' and 'fascination,' two of my favs from the original record. otherwise, i take back all my reservations. i even enjoy 'john i'm only dancing (again)' in this context.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    That's fucking sweet.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Goddamn, that is Bowie being fierce. He still had some life in him in that song. Now I'm going to cry again.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "I’ve got a handful of songs to sing
    To sting your soul, to fuck you over"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    that's a very welcome surprise. nice one for sure. anything else we'll get from him will probably be treasure anyhow now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    at first listen, I'm glad these three tracks were left off Blackstar. I don't think any of them quite fit there. I'm annoyed that they seem to not be available on spotify (or to purchase individually from digital retialers). It will definitely take some time to digest these 3. I was able to hear the 2 streams on BBC and the clip for Killing a Little Time on DB's website, but I'd like a way to buy them separately since i have no interest in the cast recordings (which are available on spotify).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I agree that it's frustrating. I would glady pay for these three tracks. Only because they've made it so difficult would I ask if any of fine folks would send me a PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    wait, didn't they mention there were 5 tracks leftover back when it was released? if so then we can still expect a reissue/deluxe blackstar, which would make this release useless as far as the bowie stuff is concerned.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just a little thing, when I "sing" Lazarus song in my head, I randomly changed "everybody knows me now" to "everybody loves me now"... told you it's just a little thing. :-)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    wait, didn't they mention there were 5 tracks leftover back when it was released? if so then we can still expect a reissue/deluxe blackstar, which would make this release useless as far as the bowie stuff is concerned.
    I think one of those tracks is a longer/different take of "Sue", with the Blackstar band playing an arrangement that more closely follows the fully orchestrated version on Nothing Has Changed.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I've been listening to the cast album on Spotify (so minus the new original Bowie tracks) and Michael C Hall is fantastic, and it's a lovely record. This version of Where Are We Now is almost just as haunting as the original. Love Is Lost and This Is Not America would be the other highlights for me.

Also, I feel bad for any singer who tries to do Life On Mars?, not because they can't, but it's never nearly as effortless as it was when Bowie was busting it out, there's always a lot of struggle there to hit the notes. Easily the weakest on the album... Easily.

Edit: also, this version of Changes is very sweet.
    Last edited by hellospaceboy; 10-29-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    ohmygod I can't stop listening to When I Met You... fantastic song!!!!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    ohmygod I can't stop listening to When I Met You... fantastic song!!!!
    It really might be one of my favorite songs he ever did. Incredible stuff.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Pretty good timing of my buddy Christian to record this and put it out today.

https://soundcloud.com/christian-bon...ricans-320-mp3

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So yeah, probably nobody cares, but I've grabbed a copy of Legacy today, purely for the Blackstar single radio edits (and yeah, the Life On Mars remix too I guess), and it seems there's another oddity here! The version of Absolute Beginners on this set runs the same length as a 7" promo edit - shorter than the regular single version. I don't recall ever coming across this, although that's not to say it hasn't been released elsewhere before. Anyway, I thought it worth noting.

I'm generally a bit grumpy that those new edits are showing as 'album only' on digital stores - as per the new Lazarus (musical) tracks. I hate the people who decide this stuff. This is only part of the reason why I haven't listened to those last three songs though... I need a day alone to just work through 'em. It's all still a bit tough.

Also, as I'm here - did anyone check the Bowie Collector show at Sotheby's? I do like a bit of art so I swung by the other week - it was a really nice experience. There were a bunch of Bowie portraits around the place, and there was a Bowie mixtape running quietly over the speakers (when I arrived there was some 90s stuff, but was mainly Berlin instrumentals). A lot on show was very obviously Bowie, but there was a lot of less obvious stuff too - I'm mainly thinking of the conventional quiet, rural English landscapes. Who'd've thought?

Oh, and just as a wee Bowie spotting - I was pleased to notice Boabby the Barman from Still Game has a Blackstar tattoo (actor Gavin Mitchell is a big fan):

:

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    So yeah, probably nobody cares, but I've grabbed a copy of Legacy today, purely for the Blackstar single radio edits (and yeah, the Life On Mars remix too I guess), and it seems there's another oddity here! The version of Absolute Beginners on this set runs the same length as a 7" promo edit - shorter than the regular single version. I don't recall ever coming across this, although that's not to say it hasn't been released elsewhere before. Anyway, I thought it worth noting.
    I believe that version was also on the 2CD edition of Nothing Has Changed. Actually, aside from replacing the original "Life on Mars?" with Ken Scott's 2016 remix, fixing the bad edit on "Fashion", and swapping out the last six songs on CD2 to squeeze in "Slow Burn" and the Blackstar radio edits, I think they basically copied-and-pasted that whole collection over to this new one... improving it slightly, I think. I've noticed that the non-deluxe version of NHC has quietly left the streaming services too, now that version 2.0 has arrived.

The vinyl edition of Legacy promises to be a similar (slightly-shuffled) rehash of the NHC vinyl, too, although "Beginners", "Spaceboy" and "Sue" have been dumped in favour of "The Man Who Sold the World" and the edits of "Young Americans" & "Lazarus". Probably also an upgrade, although the cover art kinda sucks.
    Last edited by botley; 11-14-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    that version was also on the 2CD edition of Nothing Has Changed.
    Ah - I see you're right. I have to say it didn't occur to me that the 2CD set would have different versions. I agree that the new running order is a little more appealing - the DFA remix and full-length Sue seem a bit unnecessary on a best-of. You can't beat the artwork on NHC though. A great looking set.