Page 42 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    But that rerecording is a million times better than the one on The Buddha Of Suburbia
    Seriously, it's my favorite song on Outside. Wouldn't ever want to hear that record without it.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I only just read this now. I knew about the 5 demos, but not the Blackstar out takes -

http://www.stereogum.com/1853111/dav...ackstar/video/

In addition to the five new demos Bowie recorded in his final weeks, there are also five completed songs left over from the Blackstar sessions that have yet to be released, as Sasha Frere-Jones reports in a piece on the making of Blackstar for The Los Angeles Times.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I would like to think that if Bowie saw that card - hell, maybe even if he didn't - that somewhere, tucked away, sits a form of media, be it an LP, CD, or file on a hard drive. And it contains a song written just for that grandchild. For their ears only when they grew up, or as a lullabye, or something. Because it was David Bowie, and that man had a plan for everything, damn it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Seriously, it's my favorite song on Outside. Wouldn't ever want to hear that record without it.
    You must be quite disturbed by the Excerpts from Outside vinyl tracklist, then.

(I am too, but because it drops "No Control.")

The very nature of SWWM being a Buddha song leaves it... unfitting. Obviously Bowie saw some reason to include it originally, but with Version 2.0 dropping "Wishful Beginnings" (another travesty!) and the excerpts vinyl being produced presumably under his purview, one sees an implied sense of revision going on.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is it just me or does the yelling "SATELLIIIIIIIITE" in Looking For Satellites sound EXACTLY like Tunde Adebimpe from TV On The Radio? It certainly doesn't sound like Bowie. If this song came out a few years later I would be absolutely convinced it was him, given that Bowie appeared on TOTR's song Province in 2006. But given it was recorded in the late 90s, gonna assume it's not him.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Good god i got a kick out of rewatching that 50th birthday show.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    What's the difference between the album version of The Heart's Filthy Lesson and the "Bowie Mix" that's on the Australian bonus disc?
    edit: also unrelated, but did you guys know about this? I did. I forgot about it though. It really is interesting to explore these program

http://www-static.us.worlds.net/cgi-bin/download/download.cgi?action=full&bundle=BowieNMCurrentVer

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/david-bowie-world-virtual-3d/
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 02-11-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Did Bowie do any interviews or television appearances or anything during The Next Day era? I'm curious what his last interview was and I keep seeing an interview he did when he guested on Extras around 2006, is that really the last time he was filmed outside of music videos and paparazzi stuff?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Did Bowie do any interviews or television appearances or anything during The Next Day era? I'm curious what his last interview was and I keep seeing an interview he did when he guested on Extras around 2006, is that really the last time he was filmed outside of music videos and paparazzi stuff?
    no, he didn't do anything for TND

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm going to take a wild guess that uploading stuff directly, even if its mostly OOP or bootleg material, isn't kosher. I made these mixes built off the Rykodisc bonus tracks, padded out with bootleg and live stuff. PM me if you want links.

All 320kbps MP3 from lossless sources. Audio quality on bootleg material varies, but I usually compared a few sources for it all.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The Five Years doc I believe is something every Bowie fan should see.

A few weeks ago, I read this article from the Guardian about Bowie as one of his relatives were interviewed and talked about how good he was to the family despite the tragedy that related to his half-brother Terry and the people in their mother's family in their battle with mental illness: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...disasters.html

Plus, I also liked this picture of Bowie, his mum, and Duncan?:

For someone that was an icon, he was also a good man.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I watched it on VH1 classic last weekend. I also recommend it, sadly it doesn't deviate much from 70's-80's output, which is fine since those are essentially the best years of his career.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Would have been nice if they had covered every album during this time frame. I don't know why Aladdin Sane and Lodger were left out.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wow, that was really awesome.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I know, right?!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Bowie/NIN disc We Prick You came in the mail yesterday and it's great. The track listing on amazon is all wrong, but still, it's a good disc, sounds great for a bootleg.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    The Bowie/NIN disc We Prick You came in the mail yesterday and it's great. The track listing on amazon is all wrong, but still, it's a good disc, sounds great for a bootleg.
    I actually saw it too in a record store yesterday, can you tell which show it is from the inner booklet?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I actually saw it too in a record store yesterday, can you tell which show it is from the inner booklet?
    Doesn't say, no liner notes. Just states "official radio broadcast."

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    So what is the tracklist? Is it the same as the old Live Hate bootleg?

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)

Gail wrote this about David.
    I love the bass.
    And listen to the lyrics..."my little hero, never short of 'wonders.' "

it's so obviously about bowie and it's so sweet.

This deserves to be listened to on big speakers, because the low end REALLY carries it, and i can't even hear it on these computer speakers.

edit: i found this: "It is basically how it felt to suddenly be whisked away in one of the coolest bands in the world, and to be travelling, performing, and appearing all over the world with one of the greatest and most charismatic artists of our time. Magical is the word that comes to mind. It felt like being caught in a fairytale, one of those things that doesn't happen to you, but to someone else, someone luckier than you. Well, this time I was queen for a day, and it is a time I will always remember. If you look closely at the lyrics, I make many references to the names of Bowie songs; Little Wonder, Hero, Fame. The chorus begins "I want to dance", which is a play on 'Let's Dance'. Stuff like that. I was trying to have fun with it" - GAD

it was in the youtube description, but i can't see that on my Roku box. I KNEW it was about him!
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-15-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but here's another

They were amazing together. They had such a great stage presence between the two of them.
    David seemed to have a degree of humility about himself, in that he seemed to really respect and utilize the talents of his bandmates

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Gail's vocal contributions really added a lot to those songs as I loved her parts in "Aladdin Sane" as she really gave the song some new life and make it sound fresh.

Oh, I recently re-discovered something I hadn't heard since I was a sophomore in high school. It was part of this radio contest by 99X (which no longer exists thank you very much you corporate swines) as it was called Breakfast with Bowie as he played a set of acoustic stuff that morning as one of the big radio hits that year that I can remember was his acoustic version of "Dead Man Walking" which is probably my favorite version of that song. It stuns me to realize how much I remembered that as I was just going through a very awkward and confusing moment in my life as a teenager. I just feel the need to post this and I'm sure there were many people from Atlanta that would remember this no matter how bad those DJs were:

Last edited by thevoid99; 02-15-2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: want to add something.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    1995-1997 Bowie has a TON of awesome shit. Not just the fact of his electronic influences and affiliation to NIN (Right? We're on ETS right?). There's a ton of reworks, remixes and rarities kicking about. 1. Outside and Earthling were an amazing time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Has anyone read Moonage Daydream​?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Has anyone read Moonage Daydream​?
    Wow, I don't know if I read that one. I have 2 books on Bowie. One big coffee table book that I bought from Barnes & Nobles a few years ago and a biography called Loving the Alien in 1999/2000.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    badass thank you

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I know, right?!
    "Five Years" is on MTVL right now and I'm watching it again and I have developed this HUGE LOVE for Carlos Alomar, LOL, what a character yet what a PRO!!! HOLY CRAP!!

It's also reaffirmed undying love for Eno.

And Fripp, omg, love. "You might get fucked." LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2016 at 07:12 PM.