Page 56 of 84 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    While there's no doubt the BowieSongs guy does his homework and does it exceptionally well, he's utterly lacking in objectivity. He was downright vitriolic at points when covering the Never Let Me Down - Glass Spider tour - Tin Machine eras.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can someone explain what the actual fuck the "Little Wonder" music video is?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    LOL!

My explanation? Floria Sigismondi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floria...28selection.29

Right around that time she was working on things like Manson's Tourniquet; I think she was working with a distinctive aesthetic around then.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    It's a masterpiece! I was 15 when it came out and catching it on MTV was a truly jaw-dropping experience. It is everything I love about the mid-90s

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    ...and we were talking about B sides earlier...

the 2002 re-recording of Conversation Piece that was featured as a B side on Heathen is one of Bowie's best ever. Stunning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    It's a masterpiece! I was 15 when it came out and catching it on MTV was a truly jaw-dropping experience. It is everything I love about the mid-90s
    I don't dislike it at all, in fact quite the opposite, but like, it's just absolutely strange for the song.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For anyone that loves cinema such as myself, here is a fantastic video about the usage of Bowie's music in film:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double-post but.... 50 years ago today. This album came out, on the same Sgt. Pepper was released,...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They have the Bowie Exibition in Barcelona which started last weekend. The same event which was in London in 2013 I believe. I'll try and see it soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Now here's the one I've been looking forward to - the next box set - A New Career In A New Town 1977-1982

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/new-c...977-1982-57146

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    My only hope is that this box set is not a final one. I hope that 80s stuff and Tin Machine eras get their treatments as well.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hey, that's being released on my birthday

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, this is an instant buy for me (lemme at that Lodger remix). I have most of the Rykodisc versions of these studio albums on CD already but I really like the way Ray Staff has been remastering them, so I don't mind double-dipping for better sound.

Plus: Baal on CD! Little Fuckin' Drummer Boy! Finally the complete Stage setlist!

Only thing really glaring in terms of omitted rarities from the period would be . It seems they have included the regular-length soundtrack version on Re:Call 3, but apparently not even a needledrop of the extended version (although the 12" extended "Beauty and the Beast" is here and it sounds fantastic).
    Last edited by botley; 07-12-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, this is an instant buy for me (lemme at that Lodger remix). I have most of the Rykodisc versions of these studio albums on CD already but I really like the way Ray Staff has been remastering them, so I don't mind double-dipping for better sound.

Plus: Baal on CD! Little Fuckin' Drummer Boy! Finally the complete Stage setlist!

Only thing really glaring in terms of omitted rarities from the period would be . It seems they have included the regular-length soundtrack version on Re:Call 3, but apparently not even a needledrop of the extended version (although the 12" extended "Beauty and the Beast" is here and it sounds fantastic).
    have these been coming with digital downloads if you buy the vinyl box set? this is the first set i've really wanted, but $160 is a lot to drop. however, i have ZERO bowie on vinyl other than Blackstar and i'd really like to get my hands on these albums.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    have these been coming with digital downloads if you buy the vinyl box set? this is the first set i've really wanted, but $160 is a lot to drop. however, i have ZERO bowie on vinyl other than Blackstar and i'd really like to get my hands on these albums.
    The vinyl sets are beautiful objects, but they don't come with download codes. The high-resolution download versions also omit anything that doesn't exist at 24bit/96kHz resolution (including the Re:Call sets, mostly because they are from various sources including standard-resolution digital and vinyl needledrops).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The vinyl sets are beautiful objects, but they don't come with download codes. The high-resolution download versions also omit anything that doesn't exist at 24bit/96kHz resolution (including the Re:Call sets, mostly because they are from various sources including standard-resolution digital and vinyl needledrops).
    that's incredibly disappointing :/
    i would be absolutely fine with a 320kbps mp3 download so i can listen to this stuff on the go.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's incredibly disappointing :/
    i would be absolutely fine with a 320kbps mp3 download so i can listen to this stuff on the go.
    I can hit you up with a rip once my CDs arrive

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The previous box sets (both vinyl and CD versions) have been Autorip-eligible on Amazon. That obviously won't satisfy anyone looking for lossless, but if you're content with mp3 it might be the best option.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'll probably end up buying it, kinda wish they would have included the bonus tracks on the rykodosc versions tho. Low sounds incomplete to me without Some Are and All Saints.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just a heads up. The vinyl box set on Amazon is $159.

EDIT: looks like it was just changed on Amazon to $249. Luckily I bought this morning when it was listed as $159. My order under MY ACCOUNT even still reads $159 plus tax. No chance they would cancel my order and force a reorder is there???

EDIT 2: And it looks as though the Amazon version does include the Yellow colored Stage 2xLP. The image is just not updated. The item description has it listed though.

Last edited by Reznor2112; 07-12-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    No chance they would cancel my order and force a reorder is there???
    They tried that on me when they fucked up on the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie LP boxset. I gave them shit, pointed out the preorder price guarantee, and they relented. Stick to your guns if it happens.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    too bad it omits 'some are' from the rykodisc version of low... which is coincidentally one of my top 10 bowie tunes. would buy for that alone!

nice to have the 12'' 'beauty and the beast' represented in digital format. i have the 12'' (and a high quality rip from it), but nice to have it here properly.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    They tried that on me when they fucked up on the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie LP boxset. I gave them shit, pointed out the preorder price guarantee, and they relented. Stick to your guns if it happens.
    Yeah, just spoke with Customer Service and they said if an item is listed for say $50 as a pre-order and you order it at that price, then a few hours later it goes up to $70, you do indeed get it for the price you ordered it at. Thank god...

So glad I snagged this at $160

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Yeah, just spoke with Customer Service and they said if an item is listed for say $50 as a pre-order and you order it at that price, then a few hours later it goes up to $70, you do indeed get it for the price you ordered it at. Thank god...

So glad I snagged this at $160

fuck, i knew i should have pre-ordered it earlier. well, i'm definitely out, now. can't afford $250 with the new NIN releases coming up soon.

it's $199 on SRC Vinyl, in case anyone's interested.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So what's the difference between album and 12" version of Beauty..?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Huge letdown.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    too bad it omits 'some are' from the rykodisc version of low... which is coincidentally one of my top 10 bowie tunes. would buy for that alone!
    wtf

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They could have put the LA 1974 show on the last box, and there are so many bonehead moves on this one. Two versions of STAGE is just empty padding. At least throw us the Perth or Stockholm shows, we know those exist. There's *nothing* from the PLANNED ACCIDENTS sessions anywhere? No SCARY MONSTERS demos?

All these great tracks like "Some Are" missing. The last box had fucking needledrops on it.

Bowie's back catalogue really has been a mess since pretty much the Ryko days.
    Last edited by polski; 07-12-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Covered in the live threads, but worth noting here I think - the uncredited remix of I Can't Give Everything Away that appeared on Soundcloud some time back was indeed produced by Trent, as rumoured.
    Sounds like it probably is, to some extent, incomplete, but personally I think it sounds great.

https://soundcloud.com/thisisthenumb...y-farewell-mix

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    They could have put the LA 1974 show on the last box, and there are so many bonehead moves on this one. Two versions of STAGE is just empty padding. At least throw us the Perth or Stockholm shows, we know those exist. There's *nothing* from the PLANNED ACCIDENTS sessions anywhere? No SCARY MONSTERS demos?

All these great tracks like "Some Are" missing. The last box had fucking needledrops on it.

Bowie's back catalogue really has been a mess since pretty much the Ryko days.
    Wow, which albums were needledrops?

I haven't bought any of these boxes, but I've been considering it. I feel like if there was more unreleased stuff or even a more complete collection of previously released outtakes and bonus tracks they'd be a lot more enticing. Like the 30th anniversary diamond dogs 2nd disc is fucking gold, but nothing seems to be included from there. The double up of versions of live albums seems kinda odd. anyone have thoughts about the couple remixed albums?

I have a big gap in my bowie CD collection due to my younger days when I was only into 71 through 73 and 95 on. Now I love just about every period of his work. Anyone have thoughts on if I should go for these boxes or just fill out my gaps with single discs?
    Last edited by talkingnothing; 07-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.