Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Btw, what was the general opinion about this one... I think it's beautiful.

Eh, I'm not offended by it. There's something about older, more established artists covering Bowie that kind of...validate the covers?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I had this dream last night where all the recent live albums got retail releases in addition to a bunch of never-before-seen live performances (that never happened). In one of them, it looked to be about 1998 and he was screaming "I've never bought the world for a dollar!" and I was like "Oh, Man Who Sold The World reference, nice. Why the hell wasn't this on 'hours...' ?"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    God damn Look At the Moon! is a beautiful thing. The Earthling band at their best. I'm intrigued now to find out what the final 90s Live Adventures show will be...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I really wish all this stuff wasn't being released in such a limited fashion right now. I just can't keep up with music collecting right now, and I'm struggling to even hear this stuff without resorting to torrenting, and that just makes no sense when I'm perfectly willing to pay.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    God damn Look At the Moon! is a beautiful thing. The Earthling band at their best. I'm intrigued now to find out what the final 90s Live Adventures show will be...
    It's going to be from the "hours" tour, so it has to be one of these. Unless they surprise us...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours_Tour

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    It's going to be from the "hours" tour, so it has to be one of these. Unless they surprise us...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours_Tour

probably astoria, that was broadcast too, wasn't it?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I really wish all this stuff wasn't being released in such a limited fashion right now. I just can't keep up with music collecting right now, and I'm struggling to even hear this stuff without resorting to torrenting, and that just makes no sense when I'm perfectly willing to pay.
    When I was in the music biz we used to call him David the Merciless for all the remasters etc (with 1 or 2 unreleased songs of course). This was when he was alive. The estate seems to be pushing it even further. I will plead guilty to purchasing some Bowie socks for a lady. She will love them, haha (arriving in next few days).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    probably astoria, that was broadcast too, wasn't it?
    Or Vienna or NYC, yeah.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Didn't original BLA announcement mention some live footage too? Or am I imagining things?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Didn't original BLA announcement mention some live footage too? Or am I imagining things?
    Well, they've now put up two of the songs from Something in the Air on the official YouTube channel:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thought some might be interested in one of these sweet posters released over the weekend:
    https://iconic.collectionzz.com/blog...76-isolar-tour

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They're all on streaming sites now, with the exception of Look at the Moon! and the one that hasn't been announced yet, and those surely will follow later. Parlophone are not going to leave money on the table driving people to torrents...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I originally wasn't too blown away by Reality as an album, and I'll still not say it's one of my favorites in the Bowie catalogue, but Bring Me the Disco King is an incredible song. This live version is just flawless.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I originally wasn't too blown away by Reality as an album, and I'll still not say it's one of my favorites in the Bowie catalogue, but Bring Me the Disco King is an incredible song. This live version is just flawless.

The first version I ever heard was Danny Lohner’s mix featuring MJK in 2003. Compared to that, every other version I hear lacks oomph. Lohner’s mix sounds so... triumphant and full.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Seriously, if Bowie had stopped making records after 'Reality' and Disco King was his last track, I would have been alright with that. A PERFECT closer in every sense of the word.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I wonder if we ever get to hear all those other versions he recorded of that song...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Seriously, if Bowie had stopped making records after 'Reality' and Disco King was his last track, I would have been alright with that. A PERFECT closer in every sense of the word.
    I’m sorry to... differ with you, sir, but "Heathen (The Rays)" takes that honour. "Heathen (The Rays)" will always take that honour. I should know, sir. I’ve always been here.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    The first version I ever heard was Danny Lohner’s mix featuring MJK in 2003. Compared to that, every other version I hear lacks oomph. Lohner’s mix sounds so... triumphant and full.
    I like the remix with Maynard well enough, but it doesn’t have the subtlety. If anything the pop industrial cues and symphonic string stuff feel distracting, but it’s a cool version.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

This got me intrigued to look this show up... HOLY SHIT this setlist is awesome:
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david...-63d79a97.html

EDIT: Looks like it was the warm-up show for the tour.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Final BLA (just realizing how silly that sounds...) is up for per-order on Friday.

Kit Kat Klub. 12 tracks. 1 CD, 2 LP.

https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2021...ve-new-york-99

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hmmm, this time it's not the full setlist, I wonder why... the 12-track version from a pre-FM source is already out there thanks to a promo CD-R sent to radio stations. Maybe that's all they had in the archive.

Will have a long think today about whether I need to hit refresh repeatedly to get this pre-ordered on vinyl tomorrow morning, before it disappears in 15 minutes again.
    Last edited by botley; 03-18-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I’ll get this vinyl set cuz I’ve missed the others, but the set list on this one isn’t thrilling me as much as the others...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I’ll get this vinyl set cuz I’ve missed the others, but the set list on this one isn’t thrilling me as much as the others...
    It's kind of a shame, because the extra songs which were performed that night but cut from the recording ("Drive-in Saturday", "Cracked Actor", "Ashes to Ashes", "Repetition", "Rebel Rebel") are great and it's hard to know why they've been left out, as the press release doesn't even mention the set being incomplete. I own three tracks from this show on an official release already, because they were on one of the "Seven" CD singles, and the sound quality of the recording is top-notch. David's voice sounds awesome, Sterling's snare drum really slaps, there's some very deep bass from Gail Ann and a surprisingly silky-smooth top end-ness to it all... providing they don't screw up the mastering/pressing for vinyl, it should be a pretty dope little release. But, on balance, I don't think that I need to shell out just to get those same performances again along with another 9 tracks... and still not have the full show. But they performed some superb versions of "Stay" on this tour, with Mike Garson doing his funky '70s clavinet thing, and Page Hamilton absolutely shredding... that alone might be worth the money.
    Last edited by botley; 03-18-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    What's the latest on a reissue of Black Tie and Earthling? They were releasing box sets covering different eras and releasing the individual albums at the same time, right? Has there been any word about this happening with those albums anytime soon?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    What's the latest on a reissue of Black Tie and Earthling? They were releasing box sets covering different eras and releasing the individual albums at the same time, right? Has there been any word about this happening with those albums anytime soon?
    That box set is still slated for later this year, I think, with break-out versions of the new remasters to follow early next year if the previous ones are anything to go by.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    the slipcase boxes are now live on the rhino website, for those who need them...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This what they had to say about it as of late last year: David Bowie Era Five box set update — David Bowie

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That box set is still slated for later this year, I think, with break-out versions of the new remasters to follow early next year if the previous ones are anything to go by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    This what they had to say about it as of late last year: David Bowie Era Five box set update — David Bowie
    Thanks! Looking forward to finishing off my studio album collection. It's super weird that their logic is partially based on when the era ended, especially now that he's passed. That would be like Trent writing and recording Year Zero, Ghosts, and The Slip all within a year of each other but then still deciding to release them each 4-5 years apart from each other in order to keep up with tradition, lol.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's super weird that their logic is partially based on when the era ended, especially now that he's passed. That would be like Trent writing and recording Year Zero, Ghosts, and The Slip all within a year of each other but then still deciding to release them each 4-5 years apart from each other in order to keep up with tradition, lol.
    Well, my suspicion is that Parlophone's spinning a line here, and are actually just waiting for old record contracts to expire before they can announce the next box (which will cover most of the years where Bowie's catalogue was associated with Virgin/EMI). Apparently there was a Tin Machine box planned as well, which is still in contractual limbo.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I wonder if we ever get to hear all those other versions he recorded of that song...