Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Dave Gahan says he was made aware Bowie wasn't doing so well:

https://www.facebook.com/depechemode...73222&__tn__=E

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    "Five Years" is on MTVL right now and I'm watching it again and I have developed this HUGE LOVE for Carlos Alomar, LOL, what a character yet what a PRO!!! HOLY CRAP!!

It's also reaffirmed undying love for Eno.

And Fripp, omg, love. "You might get fucked." LOL.
    i watched it on pbs.
    and alomar cracks me up too, talking about how bowie was the whitest guy he'd ever seen, and not PINK white, WHITE white, talking about wanting to take him home and feed him and such. :P

And he seems (for me) to be an "unsung hero" of the bowie's camp. You don't hear his name brought up a hell of a lot when talking about favorite bowie guitarists, but he was there on and off, both live and on record, for 30 fucking years!
    @allegro do you listen to to eno's solo work?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @allegro do you listen to to eno's solo work?
    Yup, sure do! When I was younger, I was really into "Here Come the Warm Jets" with " " but then I really got into his ambient stuff a lot including his stuff with Fripp, but I had started with Roxy Music. But my favorite Eno solo is Ambient 1: Music for Airports. Do you listen to it, too?

Yeah, Alomar's and Davis' description of Eno while recording Low on that "Five Years" doc is HILARIOUS!!! "He had this CHALK BOARD!"
    Last edited by allegro; 02-17-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I never knew David was such a troll...

eat your heart out teitan

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Holy shit at the first poster.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Holy shit at the first poster.
    I've encountered many trolls like that surrounding the veneration of UK music of a certain vintage; he (and they are ALWAYS men, sad & bald men) reminds me greatly of the scum patrolling Gary Numan fan forums.
    Last edited by botley; 02-18-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    teenage wildlife was my go-to messageboard when i first got on the internet in high school. i posted there for YEARS, met roommates, girlfriends, etc. through that site. i still visit the private facebook group regularly and consider a lot of the posters there friends.

that said, sorry to burst your bubble, guys, but sailor on TW is *not* bowie. not even a hushed rumor. yes, sailor was bowie's nickname on bowienet and some of the more established and esteemed bowie sites, but sailor, in this incarnation at least, was this poster named monkeyboy, who had a series of alter egos he trolled with on the regular, including foghorn, jesushchrist, and this annoying yappy dog that one of the other obnoxious posters was always posting pictures of.

ahhh, reading through some of those archives (memories!) makes me realize that we really do have it lucky here on the troll front. you couldn't go a day or two without someone taking the piss over there. strawman (that first poster) was another of a long list of regular trolls.

if you do want to read real correspondence from db to a teenage wildlife member, i believe someone (@botley? @allegro ?) posted dara o'kearny's memories about cryptic email correspondence that led to comped tickets. bowie, while displaying a tremendous sense of humor, was much more guarded and secret on the internet and wouldn't have posted with such regularity just to be a troll.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 02-18-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    TW trolls staged a mass "invasion" of a messageboard I formerly moderated (now defunct) called All Pink Floyd Fan Network in the early 2000s. It was ridiculous and extremely weird; just to try and get a rise they would level outlandish aspersions on PF like Dark Side of the Moon being boring twaddle compared to David Bowie's "Life on Mars". Thankfully, our people knew better than to encourage their antagonistic floodposting with much response and eventually it petered out (after several days of sustained exasperation).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I tried searching for information before I posted those images to see if they were really Bowie, but I could never find anything conclusive, only threads questioning it or involving him, so I just assumed it was this "confirmed" uncomfirmed type scenario, you know, kind of like we have here with you know who.

But my bad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe once my region of the Earth turns back towards the sun I'll disagree, but for now, 'Blackstar' is gonna be album of the year. It's just so cool. I don't know what such nocturnal music will feel like in July. Decisions are made in winter again and so the grimness will once more be in its favor.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    TW trolls staged a mass "invasion" of a messageboard I formerly moderated (now defunct) called All Pink Floyd Fan Network in the early 2000s. It was ridiculous and extremely weird; just to try and get a rise they would level outlandish aspersions on PF like Dark Side of the Moon being boring twaddle compared to David Bowie's "Life on Mars". Thankfully, our people knew better than to encourage their antagonistic floodposting with much response and eventually it petered out (after several days of sustained exasperation).
    i did not take part, but I definitely remember this happening.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yup, sure do! When I was younger, I was really into "Here Come the Warm Jets" with " " but then I really got into his ambient stuff a lot including his stuff with Fripp, but I had started with Roxy Music. But my favorite Eno solo is Ambient 1: Music for Airports. Do you listen to it, too?
    i aim to start.
    i watched this VERY long documentary on youtube and loved the (ambient) music used as the soundtrack, and a the end i learned that it was all Brian Eno.

Rhett Miller of the Old 97s (my other favorite band) wrote this very touching piece about bowie http://www.salon.com/2016/01/16/davi...of_hunky_dory/
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-18-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    more rehearsal footage from 95

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Rhett Miller of the Old 97s (my other favorite band) wrote this very touching piece about bowie http://www.salon.com/2016/01/16/davi...of_hunky_dory/
    Yeah, you linked that already.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Why did Bowie never make a country album? In this horrific age where if you had a fiddle and a country accent with some overproduced bullshit, a Bowie country album would be a breath of fresh air. Don't believe me? Listen to this take on the Tin Machine song "Bus Stop". Yee-haw!!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

oops.
    i just re-read it and didn't remember posting it here.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Well, that must've been an enjoyable holiday. I wonder if Iman has some demos saved up of David just playing saxophone.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Well, that must've been an enjoyable holiday. I wonder if Iman has some demos saved up of David just playing saxophone.
    I don't know if you're keeping up with this thread, but this morning I was listening to some songs on "Black Tie White Noise", and it seems like she was exactly the impetus for him taking so many sax solos on it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Just ordered this off amazon.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Just ordered this off amazon.

I want that!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Iman linked this story on Instagram: DAVID BOWIE: DOWNTOWN DENIZEN AND FINANCIAL INNOVATOR

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Btw, doesn't "Slip Away" (Heathen) chorus remind you of Lazarus (★)?

Update: Just found this opinion, so it's probably intentional... as always. :-)
    Phil Obbard says:
    January 10, 2016 at 10:24 pm
    They are also both the #3 track on their respective LPs. In recent history, that’s been Bowie’s designated spot for songs ruminating on fame (no matter how fleeting) and the passage of time: “Slip Away”, “Never Get Old”, “The Stars (Are Out Tonight)”, and now “Lazarus”…
    https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/201...m-open-thread/
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-24-2016 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Bit of a stretch.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I haven't seen complete footage from tonight's Brits awards but far better than the one at the Grammys. http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...-awards-watch/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't seen complete footage from tonight's Brits awards but far better than the one at the Grammys. http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...-awards-watch/
    Thank you for sharing. That was wonderful and a bit emotional to watch. Fantastic seeing that band on the same stage again.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I broke down again during that performance and Lorde actually did a better job than Caca. She wasn't trying to over-sing it or be like Elvis. She was herself and actually did with the limited range she had. Now that is a tribute so to Caca and all of you wannabes...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    tears. I can't even stand Lorde, but well, well done. the medley at the beginning was perfect too.