Page 83 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Totally unexpected delivery yesterday out of the blue, courtesy of Warner Music Canada. Guess they liked my contest entry...
    Whoa, what was your contest entry?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Whoa, what was your contest entry?

Hi,

As an entry to the Brilliant Live Adventures box set giveaway, I wanted to share that my favourite Bowie memory was seeing his live performance on 1st April 2004 in Toronto, on the Reality Tour. I was in high school and my friend had tickets to see him with his parents, who were both longtime fans. They had an extra seat — and were kind enough to let me tag along. It was mind blowing! Still my favourite live show I've ever seen, and I've been to many since. Bowie was an unbelievable live performer.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Worthy of Shakespeare. lol

Seriously though, congrats!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Was this posted elsewhere? No TR involvement?

Bauhaus’ Peter Murphy to Lead David Bowie Tribute Tour Alongside Guitarist Adrian Belew

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ew-1234681526/

THE BAUHAUS REUNION tour of 2022 may have imploded after a mere 13 shows, but frontman Peter Murphy will be back on the road in April to front the Celebrating David Bowie tour alongside guitarist Adrian Belew, Spacehog’s Royston Langdon, a Perfect Circle bassist Matt McJunkins, guitarist Scrote, Devo/A Perfect Circle drummer Jeff Friedl, saxophonist Ron Dziubla and guitarist Eric Schermerhorn. It kicks off on April 4 in Houston, Texas, and wraps up on May 8 in Tacoma, Washington.

“Such a surprise to be invited to celebrate Bowie in this outing, and alongside a great lineup,” Murphy said in a statement. “So enticing to play the part.”

The Celebrating David Bowie tour, which is spearheaded by Scrote, has been an ongoing project since 2017. The 2022 incarnation was fronted by Todd Rundgren. According to a press release, this year’s show will “interpret Bowie’s greatest hits with a special emphasis on Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust proto punk era, his Berlin trilogy records (Low, Heroes, and Lodger) and his later Trent Reznor infused years.”

Belew played guitar on Bowie’s 1979 LP Lodger along with the 1978 Isolar II Tour and 1990 Sound + Vision tour. Eric Schermerhorn, meanwhile, was a guitarist and background vocalist on Bowie’s 1991 tour with Tin Machine. The other artists don’t have a direct connection to Bowie, but Murphy and Bauhaus covered “Ziggy Stardust” on a 1982 single, turning it into a hit for another generation

“I’m thrilled to honor David again with this new explosive collection of truly unique and brilliant artists and musicians,” Scrote said in a statement. ” This new show represents two sides of Bowie. With Peter Murphy, we have the dark baritone shrouded in mystery and wonder. With Adrian Belew, the tuneful tenor gleefully singing Bowie favorites while delivering the otherworldly guitar playing he is revered for.”

Celebrating David Bowie has hit 17 countries since 2017, and has featured guest appearances by Sting, Gary Oldman, Thomas Dolby, Joe Bonamassa, Seal, Perry Farrell, The B-52’s’ Kate Pierson, Ewan McGregor, Simon Le Bon, Gavin Rossdale, La Roux, Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott, Spandau Ballet’s Tony Hadley, Corey Taylor, Ian Astbury, Darren Criss, The Tubes’ Fee Waybill, Living Colour, The London Community Gospel Choir, and The Harlem Gospel Choir.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Trent was involved with the Mike Garson-helmed band ("A Bowie Celebration", which had more of Bowie's own personnel). This is a different beast.

It's wild to me that Belew is doing this tour and the Talking Heads Remain in Light tribute tour with Jerry Harrison... basically playing other people's songs all year round, now. Not that I'm complaining, I'm seeing them play next week! Only wish the Bowie show was coming to my town...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Trent was involved with the Mike Garson-helmed band ("A Bowie Celebration", which had more of Bowie's own personnel). This is a different beast.
    Yeah, I was never super motivated to check out this show due to the lack of Bowie alumni, but this lineup and era-focus seems like the time to check it out!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Super bummed this tour is coming right to my backyard but I will be away at the time. Sounds like a great show.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Someone needs to do a tour where they play nothing but Outside, Earthling, Tin Machine 1+2 and Blackstar. Leave the greatest hits set aside for a while.
    I would've gladly been one of 8.5 people in the audience for this.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Agree, feel like this has been milked enough at this point with the same songs kinda wearing out their welcome over the years. Having seen the Bowie alumni tour three times (plus the live specials), I feel like it's kinda run its course at this point.

While a separate beast, I'm not too keen on seeing PM do this again after his last solo tours went so poorly. He just doesn't have the stamina these days and I worry about his health. Maybe also a little bummed about Bauhaus, still...

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    I'm not too keen on seeing PM do this again after his last solo tours went so poorly. He just doesn't have the stamina these days and I worry about his health. Maybe also a little bummed about Bauhaus, still...
    I'm totally bummed about Bauhaus but I think Peter can handle this. It's a lot of travel but he really only needs to be on-form and singing for about a third of the show, he can take breaks throughout while the other vocalists sing.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Someone needs to do a tour where they play nothing but Outside, Earthling, Tin Machine 1+2 and Blackstar. Leave the greatest hits set aside for a while.
    They'd need to get Reeves Gabrels involved. I'd go to that one!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Anyone else see the tour got postponed until October/November? Peter Murphy is recovering from "an unexpected medical procedure."

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Anyone else see the tour got postponed until October/November? Peter Murphy is recovering from "an unexpected medical procedure."
    Ya, saw that in Consequence of Sound.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Unless that "someone" is David Bowie coming back to life and going on tour, it just seems like it's been run into the ground. To me, the only one that ever had any validity is the Holy Holy band with Tony Visconti and Mick "Woody" Woodmansey. They were doing that show before Bowie died and it had Bowie's blessing. I saw them perform a few days after Bowie died, and it was a great show. There have been a few that seemed to have a lot of alumni involved, some looked better than others, but Bowie was Bowie, and those are big shoes to fill. I'm not sure Peter Murphy is the guy to be doing that at this point.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Get Michael C Hall

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Wake up babe, alternate "Laughing Gnome" just dropped:

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Bowie's album Heathen turned 21 this week and I've been revisiting it the past few days. Better than ever. Maybe his most underrated album. The expanded second disc is also great.

Anyway, this made me wonder when they will release the next box set. Heathen should be in the next run of albums to get re-released. I wonder if there are any other unreleased tracks from the period.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Heathen is definitely one of my favorite Bowie albums. I adore Slip Away

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Heathen is definitely one of my favorite Bowie albums. I adore Slip Away
    I saw a fantastic show @ the Gorge in Washington on the Heathen tour. It was of last date of Moby's Area 2 festival. Moby had Bowie headline this show (I can't imagine Moby headlining over Bowie!). Bowie was really loose & funny & the band was fantastic. Bowie even did 2 Elvis covers! There are boots of the show out there.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Director-Approved Criterion 4K+BD release of MOONAGE DAYDREAM is set to release on September 26:

https://www.criterion.com/films/33621-moonage-daydream

Atmos and stereo mixes + they included a Q&A from the Chinese Theatre with Morgen, Mark Romanek, and Mike Garson.
    Last edited by Jon; 06-15-2023 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Director-Approved Criterion 4K+BD release of MOONAGE DAYDREAM is set to release on September 26:

https://www.criterion.com/films/33621-moonage-daydream

Atmos and stereo mixes + they included a Q&A from the Chinese Theatre with Morgen, Mark Romanek, and Mike Garson.
    Definitely have to get this. I've seen this movie 3 times already and it keeps getting better. Showed this to a friend who only had a surface level knowledge of Bowie last week and I'm pretty sure it blew their mind, understandably so. I mean, did anyone ever hack the Matrix of life like Bowie did?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Did anyone else struggle with hearing Bowie's speaking portions in this film? I bought the Apple TV digital copy and the music sounds great but I can barely hear the spoken word portions, the music levels overpowered them. Think the club scene from The Social Network (although I know that was intentional). Ended up throwing subtitles on but honestly took away from the visual experience. Hoping this is just an issue with the digital version and not what folks experienced in the theater and not what will be in the Criterion release.

Maybe I am just getting old haha

Either way, will definitely be snagging the Criterion 4K disc

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Bowie's album Heathen turned 21 this week and I've been revisiting it the past few days. Better than ever. Maybe his most underrated album. The expanded second disc is also great.

Anyway, this made me wonder when they will release the next box set. Heathen should be in the next run of albums to get re-released. I wonder if there are any other unreleased tracks from the period.
    Thanks for posting this. The Bowie catalog is massive, so it's easy to get overwhelmed. I think some of the later (90s+) albums are overlooked.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Did anyone else struggle with hearing Bowie's speaking portions in this film? I bought the Apple TV digital copy and the music sounds great but I can barely hear the spoken word portions, the music levels overpowered them. Think the club scene from The Social Network (although I know that was intentional). Ended up throwing subtitles on but honestly took away from the visual experience. Hoping this is just an issue with the digital version and not what folks experienced in the theater and not what will be in the Criterion release.

I've heard complaints that the 5.1 surround track on streaming/download sites doesn't translate so well to home systems without a center channel, so perhaps that's what is giving you trouble?

Dolby Atmos is designed to be compatible with more systems, so hopefully the speech track will be more audible on that track of the physical disc.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post

I've had similar issues with many films on streaming. There are a lot of factors at play here. Does your TV use dynamic range compression? Which device do you stream from? What is your speaker situation (sound bars, 5.1, 7.1, 2.0 etc.)?

For me personally I didn't really get this issue so bad with Moonage Daydream. I watched it twice on HBO recently, on two different setups but both were just 2.0 bookshelf stereo speakers. My friend's speakers are not as neutral and balanced as mine are though so there were a few segments he had to turn it up to hear the dialogue well. I also think some of this is just due to the nature of the recordings. The music was professionally recorded in studio (much of it by Eno or Visconti) whereas a lot of the interviews were at the mercy of 1980's broadcasting and whatever they had going on that particular day.

All that to say, it's worth it to try and find a way to watch it with a balanced sound. The dialogue segments are what really set this thing apart. They give it a narrative through-line. It's taking fragments and kind of arranging them into Bowie's dissertation on life and art.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Me, last week in London:

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I picked up the 4K-UHD of Moonage Daydream yesterday. Barnes & Noble is having their half off sale of Criterion releases. Definitely worth having. The Dolby Atmos mix of the soundtrack is absolutely stunning. Great movie. It was even better the second time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Not particularly aware of her work anyway, outside of that Closer cover from a while back, but I just came across Jehnny Beth's versions of Lazarus and Dollar Days - also from a while back - and have to say I enjoyed them more than I thought I would.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)