Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    The NIN portion was at the beginning of the show, though.

The end of the show is completely intact, save for a small plot of land which is missing.
    I was referring to A Small Plot of Land, but you're right, it wouldn't make sense that they'd have the songs after it if the tape had run out. So they probably left Plot off purposely, either because it was decided at the time it was mixed, or recently when they decided to put this out with the two bonus tracks and wanted it all to fit on one CD. Why not drop Under Pressure (the Dallas one), since Gail Ann Dorsey is muted for the first part anyway? Sad.

Maybe they'll issue it on vinyl with Plot reinstated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I was referring to A Small Plot of Land, but you're right, it wouldn't make sense that they'd have the songs after it if the tape had run out. So they probably left Plot off purposely, either because it was decided at the time it was mixed, or recently when they decided to put this out with the two bonus tracks and wanted it all to fit on one CD. Why not drop Under Pressure (the Dallas one), since Gail Ann Dorsey is muted for the first part anyway? Sad.

Unless the original setlist is wrong, it also appears they moved I’m deranged around - possibly in a small plots place? I’ll have to compare again.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aleywwu View Post
    I was at the Tacoma show! Prick opened. I was 15 and lived in Lynden, WA up by the Canadian border. My mom went with me (she had seats, I was on the floor). It was my first time seeing NIN and only time seeing Bowie. Such a great show.
    It certainly was! 1 of the best all time for me. Bet mom wasn't advertising that she saw NIN in Lynden, haha. I remember we had to be very careful what music to sell we put in stores up there.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

"Plot" wasn't performed that night, in actual fact. I reviewed the extant audience recording (which is available on bowiestation) and it matches the released running order, so setlist.fm was in error about that. Ouvrez le Chien contains the complete set, minus NIN.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Phoenix Festival '97 performance from twenty-three years ago (yesterday!), in an airfield outside Stratford-upon-Avon.

Quicksand
    The Man Who Sold the World
    Driftin' Blues/The Jean Genie
    I'm Afraid of Americans
    Battle for Britain (The Letter)
    Fashion
    Seven Years in Tibet
    Fame
    Looking for Satellites
    Under Pressure
    The Hearts Filthy Lesson
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
    Hallo Spaceboy
    Little Wonder

Encore:
    Dead Man Walking
    White Light/White Heat
    O Superman
    Stay
    Last edited by botley; 07-21-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ This is one of those festivals where Bowie and his band were their own "support act", performing under the nom de rave Tao Jones Index:

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

From the upcoming Something in the Air (Live Paris '99) album streaming next week. Once again, the complete show is being released for the first time.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    Pretty sure a phoshot of this show was heavily bootlegged before
    edit: yep, it's on Bowiestation
    Last edited by fillow; 08-06-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "Plot" wasn't performed that night, in actual fact. I reviewed the extant audience recording (which is available on bowiestation) and it matches the released running order, so setlist.fm was in error about that. Ouvrez le Chien contains the complete set, minus NIN.
    Well then let’s correct setlist.fm then

(Just did, FYI)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm halfway through the new live album Something in the Air (Live Paris '99). There are some things i'm liking about it, but i'm really not digging the backing vocals. Something i really don't like about them. Hours was never really one of my favorites, though there are some tracks i really dig, like Something in the Air, New Angels of Promise, and the bonus track We Shall Go to Town. Overall this 99 show just isn't doing it for me. I've really enjoyed the last 2 live streaming releases, the 95 and 97 sets, and the Bowie at the Beeb bonus disc with the set from 2000 is probably my all time favorite Bowie live release. I feel like they should give that one a wider release, i got it back at the time of original release, but i'm not sure if it was limited in any way or if lots of folks have heard it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    I'm halfway through the new live album Something in the Air (Live Paris '99). There are some things i'm liking about it, but i'm really not digging the backing vocals. Something i really don't like about them.
    Yeah, something about Emm and Holly's blend as vocalists very specifically carbon-dates the ...hours band to exactly 1999, haha. I suppose we can be thankful that Reeves Gabrels talked Bowie out of using TLC for "Thursday's Child", yeeugh. But with that said, I do really love Gail Ann Dorsey's voice, and her harmony vocal on "Survive" is one of the highlights of this set.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, something about Emm and Holly's blend as vocalists very specifically carbon-dates the ...hours band to exactly 1999, haha. I suppose we can be thankful that Reeves Gabrels talked Bowie out of using TLC for "Thursday's Child", yeeugh. But with that said, I do really love Gail Ann Dorsey's voice, and her harmony vocal on "Survive" is one of the highlights of this set.
    Also enjoying the crunch of Page Hamilton on guitar here

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's nice enough to listen to, and I'm glad they're releasing what they have, but it does seem very clear this was not a well oiled touring machine here.
    I'm not a huge fan of the Glasto/Beeb recordings from the following year, but they've clearly come together as a group by then.
    Big surprise to see that Page Hamilton was involved though - I'd missed this fact completely until this week!
    Guess we might be getting something from 2002 next, right?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The fact that they completely jumped over 1990 tour makes me a sad panda

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    You’re right, Sound + Vision was going to be what i would have expected next.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    They used a tiny bit of the backdrop film from that Sound + Vision tour for the music video promoting Visconti's 50th anniversary remix of "Space Oddity", so I have a feeling that behind the scenes someone is working on a full-length concert video for that tour, but it's anyone's guess when that sort of thing would be released. One would hope that the original music director and guitarist (a young upstart by the name of Belew) might get to have a say in the Sound component of such a document!

But as nice as the official releases are, these 90s tours are already extensively documented on bootlegs. The next thing coming for Record Store Drops #1 in about a week is I'm Only Dancing (The Soul Tour '74), which is from a part of that year very poorly represented in tape traders' circles. This is the first time we'll be hearing a soundboard recording from that leg of the tour, in fact.
    Last edited by botley; 08-21-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Okay, which one of you let this happen:

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Braved the Record Store Day COVID crowds (actually a pretty civilized, cautious group of lovely folx) to get I'm Only Dancing on vinyl and — so, so very glad that I did. Never can have enough from this tour! And the soundboard recording quality is surprisingly great.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This may be a no-no to ask (grey area since vinyl exclusive?) but is anyone willing to share a vinyl rip of I'm Only Dancing (Soul Tour)?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    This may be a no-no to ask (grey area since vinyl exclusive?) but is anyone willing to share a vinyl rip of I'm Only Dancing (Soul Tour)?
    It's not vinyl exclusive, it's available on CD as well.
    It's available here and there (the usual places), but if you can't find one, my inbox is open.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    It's not vinyl exclusive, it's available on CD as well.
    It's available here and there (the usual places), but if you can't find one, my inbox is open.
    Oh -- I had no idea it was on CD as well. Never mind!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I have a vinyl rip if anyone is REALLY stoked to hear what it sounds like through my very modest turntable, haha.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Been enjoying this for quite a while now. It’s a niche product (jazz interpretations of instrumentals from a specific Bowie era), but it’s so much fun. And a nice surprise or two in the tracklist, too.

Could be old news amongst Bowie-philes, but for anyone not already familiar, I hope you enjoy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Man Who Sold The World to be reissued under original title 'Metrobolist' with original cover and remastered sound!

article

Also, finally pulled the trigger on this graphic novel and can't recommend it enough...definitely a fun read.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    it's a little annoying to see a new remaster when the previous one was barely 5 years ago... i did bite the bullet for SO but i'm not sure about this one now

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    it's a little annoying to see a new remaster when the previous one was barely 5 years ago... i did bite the bullet for SO but i'm not sure about this one now
    It's not just a remaster: eight of the tracks have been completely remixed by Tony Visconti. I'm going to try it out on Tidal to see how I like it, first... but this is one album I don't have on vinyl, so I might plump for that. The remixed Space Oddity from last year was pretty enjoyable.

Just came across this: how fucking great is this?

Last edited by botley; 09-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Man, it's so harrowing to go back through this thread and read all the excitement for Blackstar, then suddenly the news of his passing. My head still can't get around it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Just picked up ChangesNowBowie on LP. Annoyed there's no lossless download, but not surprised.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Man, it's so harrowing to go back through this thread and read all the excitement for Blackstar, then suddenly the news of his passing. My head still can't get around it.
    It hit like a freight truck.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Update on the next boxset:

DAVID BOWIE ERA 5 BOX SET UPDATE

“Looking at the future solid as a rock because of you, Again and again...”

On the day that we celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Station To Station box set, we thought it would be a good time to bring you up to speed with the plans for the Era 5 set.

It seems that every time we make a post on the official channels regarding new releases, a great number of you use the opportunity to comment on the lack of news regarding the Era 5 set. That's to be expected and your frustration is understandable.

But first, here's a reminder of the first four era box releases:
    Era 1 = Five Years (1969–1973) - Released 2015 = 42 years
    Era 2 = Who Can I Be Now? (1974–1976) - Released 2016 = 40 years
    Era 3 = A New Career in a New Town (1977–1982) - Released 2017 = 35 years
    Era 4 = Loving the Alien (1983–1988) - Released 2018 = 30 years

As you can see, the amount of time between the last year covered by each era box and its release date is decreasing exponentially, if that makes sense.

So with the Era 5 box which was originally going to cover the years 1993 to 1999, the plan was to release last year. Though that meant it was only a 20 year gap between 'hours...' and the release of the Era 5 box, it was considered a set that many fans were clamouring for due to the titles that hadn't been released on vinyl originally or were hard to find.

However, we then decided to increase the span of the box up to 2001, so to keep at least a 20 year gap between the last year covered and release date, it means the box won't now be released till next year.

Also, due to the effect of COVID, not only on everyday life, but its impact on plans within the music industry as a whole too, this has been an evolving situation and we thank you for your patience.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't be getting anything new until next year. You may have noticed that various other releases have peppered the months in-between the era boxes, including live albums and the Conversation Piece set last year, along with other releases.

Indeed, stay tuned for the announcement of another exciting project before the end of next week.

May we also take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and for the enthusiasm shown for the era boxes.