Page 59 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, Valentine's Day all over again, right? Damn... :-(

Update: Sorry if it wasn't obvious, I am saddened by the events, that was the point. :-/
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-15-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    So, Valentine's Day all over again, right? Damn... :-(
    Well... considering what happened in Florida. I don't think it's a good time to play that song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sure it wasn't in bad taste. But it was quite the coincidence.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    I'm sure it wasn't in bad taste. But it was quite the coincidence.
    True. Bowie wrote it in response to Sandy Hook as I'm sure some idiot will make claims about the song and how it inspired that kid to do this horrific act.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, new stuff!

Announced for RSD2018:

- WELCOME TO THE BLACKOUT (LIVE LONDON '78) (3 LP SET) (same setlist as Stage, plus 'Sound and Vision' and 'Rebel Rebel')
    - LET'S DANCE (FULL-LENGTH DEMO) (12" SINGLE) + 1983 live version as a b-side

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some great pictures from the Celebrating Bowie show in Atlanta. Evan Rachel Wood made a guest appearance and did a great vocal performance on 5 Years and Rock n' Roll Suicide

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/c...t=best#license

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZackeryH View Post
    Some great pictures from the Celebrating Bowie show in Atlanta. Evan Rachel Wood made a guest appearance and did a great vocal performance on 5 Years and Rock n' Roll Suicide

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/c...t=best#license
    I didn't go to the show.... I had things to do and my allergies are starting to arrive.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    From the NIN Spotting thread:

Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-ar-3d-ul.html

This is a great piece with some cool visuals. Lots of quotes from Trent as well.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I went to the Orlando date of that Celebrating tour and it was a wonderful time. I started crying out of nowhere during Rebel, Rebel of all songs, it was so overwhelming -- seeing all of these people gathered together on a random weeknight to sing along and love songs by someone they didn't know but who affected them so deeply while a bunch of their friends played onstage was beautiful. Not many people get remembered after they die and those who do usually did terrible things in one way, shape or form to get there, and Bowie was just a guy who managed to make amazing art for his entire life that spoke to people and represented a sense of otherness and individuality that everyone could relate to in a way that his legacy is bigger than he could ever be. It's amazing.

I was anxious about it feeling like a cash-in (and Garson did mention hoping to see us again, lol) but it ended up being a fantastic set that really ran a wide range of songs (or as good as you could with a limited set for someone whose discography is so vast and full of classics and fan-favorites). They didn't do any recent material but during Bring Me the Disco King did a medley of lyrics from Next Day and Blackstar which was weird and cool and surprisingly effective. Finally seeing Garson play live fulfilled a dream of mine. I'll be in NYC the week right before the Bowie Is exhibit closes up so I'll have to get to that.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nevermind!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I like David Baddiel (British comedian), so I was pleased to see him doing a Bowie themed podcast. It's a bit all over the place, but might be of interest to others...

https://www.acast.com/stalkingtimefo...oys/stwtmbep01

Supposed to be about getting into obscure details of Bowie and his music, but is far from an academic study or anything.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Coming later this year: Loving the Alien (1983-1988): https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ox-set-699751/

Plus a re-work of Never Let Me Down. Here is another link with info on the reissue: https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2018...88-due-october
    Last edited by thevoid99; 07-18-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: adding new stuff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Two different versions of Never Let Me Down and they can’t manage to include “Too Dizzy,” even for historical purposes? I call serious bullshit. On one hand I think it’s cool they’ve been doing these boxed sets and including some genuinely interesting stuff, but there’s been enough missed opportunities with these sets to drive me insane. After they do all these boxes sets, THEN maybe we get a true rarities and b-sides compilation? Or never? Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Coming later this year: Loving the Alien (1983-1988): https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ox-set-699751/

Plus a re-work of Never Let Me Down. Here is another link with info on the reissue: https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2018...88-due-october

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've heard "Too Dizzy" and.... it's fucking awful. I don't blame Bowie for getting rid of it. However.... here's a sample of a re-worked version of "Zeroes" and honestly, it's a fucking improvement.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I bought the new Barnes & Noble exclusive White and Orange Swirl vinyl press of Reality today. I'll post it in the vinyl thread tomorrow!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Two different versions of Never Let Me Down and they can’t manage to include “Too Dizzy,” even for historical purposes? I call serious bullshit. On one hand I think it’s cool they’ve been doing these boxed sets and including some genuinely interesting stuff, but there’s been enough missed opportunities with these sets to drive me insane. After they do all these boxes sets, THEN maybe we get a true rarities and b-sides compilation? Or never? Sigh...
    Bowie hated Too Dizzy and since he was involved at the beginning of these box sets before he passed...he probably set certain stipulations on the front end. IE. not including 'Too Dizzy'.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I imagine this box set is gonna be a big seller....

/s

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Two different versions of Never Let Me Down and they can’t manage to include “Too Dizzy,” even for historical purposes? I call serious bullshit.
    It's not available for reissue. Bowie pulled the rights to it in the 90s when he bought back his catalogue and deliberately excluded it from all subsequent publishing agreements. Unlikely that his estate will go back on those wishes now.

Even after the mastering SNAFUs with previous boxes (eg. brickwall-limiting, tape errors, needledrops, etc.) I'm still somehow pressing the pre-order button on this one. Really excited to hear what they've done with the rest of the Never Let Me Down remix, the iSelect MM version of "Time Will Crawl" is one of the coolest remixes Bowie approved while he was alive so hopefully this follows in that spirit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    the iSelect MM version of "Time Will Crawl" is one of the coolest remixes Bowie approved while he was alive so hopefully this follows in that spirit.
    Only version of that song I enjoy. I love it!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I listened to Reeves Gabrels, who appears on the new remixes, speak on the air to BBC6 Music — the segment is here, starting about 44 minutes into the iPlayer Radio slider thingy. Basically, it appears that there were completely new recordings for the instrumentation on every track, which was apparently at Bowie's behest because the MM remix turned out so well, and he discussed with Mario McNulty (who did all of the new production/mixing) what to do with the rest of the record before he passed, including an outline of what musicians should be involved. Bowie had always wanted to re-record parts of it as soon as 1988, according to Reeves, but never got around to overseeing more than the one track during his lifetime.

Reeves says he recorded his acoustic parts for the record just like they used to when David was alive, with Bowie's voice and guitar playing in his headphones along with Reeves' own guitar, to the point where he could close his eyes and forget his old friend wasn't actually there and see him singing in his mind's eye while playing along. No idea if Reeves is full of shit, but it all seems plausible. I can almost picture that happening while I listen to the new version of "Zeroes".
    Last edited by botley; 07-19-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'll never understand why people complain about Too Dizzy. It was left off the 1995 Virgin reissue and the 1999 EMI reissue because Bowie didn't like it and that's the same reason it's not in the box set now. There are plenty of original copies of the album available for a few dollars if you want that track. Reading about the track in Nicholas Pegg's book, Bowie seemed to dislike the track even in '87 according to one interview.

I think this box is one of the better ones in terms of exclusive content. You get two live albums, both only released on video and DVD, but will have better sound here. The new version of Never Let Me Down is going to be great, judging by the old version of Time Will Crawl and Zeroes. The Re:Call disc will have remastered versions of all the various singles from the era, of which there are plenty. I'm hoping that the Labyrinth tracks have gotten a proper remastering here, as the vinyl reissue that came out a year or so ago isn't good at all, and even the original CD issue has problems. I've been meaning to make recording of my Japanese pressing of that one, probably the sounding version of that album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So um... That Let's Dance (song) demo is not on the new box set? How so? I thought it was supposed to be a teaser of sorts.

upd:
    And I would also very much welcome live tracks from Live Aid 1985 included in some way or another. Oh well. Maybe on another RSD EP? (Like the recent Live In Berlin 1978)

One more thought: the fact that they remixed Lodger, and then went even further and re-recorded NLMD gives me hope that they'll properly arrange and mix all the stuff from Leon/Outside sessions for a 90s box-set. A man can dream.
    Last edited by fillow; 07-25-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So um... That Let's Dance (song) demo is not on the new box set? How so? I thought it was supposed to be a teaser of sorts.

upd:
    And I would also very much welcome live tracks from Live Aid 1985 included in some way or another. Oh well. Maybe on another RSD EP? (Like the recent Live In Berlin 1978)

One more thought: the fact that they remixed Lodger, and then went even further and re-recorded NLMD gives me hope that they'll properly arrange and mix all the stuff from Leon/Outside sessions for a 90s box-set. A man can dream.
    how about a proper soundboard from the outside tour with the NIN content intact? as long as we're dreaming....

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    That Let's Dance (song) demo is not on the new box set? How so? I thought it was supposed to be a teaser of sorts.
    No, it was meant to be a stand-alone single. There's not likely going to be more demos coming from that period now that Erdal Kızılçay is reportedly pissed that they released it without consulting him (that's him on bass in the demo). He's threatening in the press to sue Bowie's record company for not consulting or crediting him properly.
    Last edited by botley; 07-25-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Wishful thinking for the next boxsets and reissues:

- Tin Machine 1989-1991 box (TMI, TMII, Expanded Oy Vey Baby live album, Re:call 5 with random stuff)
    - Live album from S+V 1990 tour as a RSD release (probably the most likely scenario, looking at the established pattern of releases)
    - 1992-1998 box (BTWN, Buddha, Outside, Earthling + Leon tapes + Re:call 6)
    - RSD releases with 1995 and 1997 tour albums
    - 1999-2004 box (Hours, Heathen, Earthling + remastered Toy + Re:call 7)
    - RSD release of 2002 show (possibly Montreux jazz fest)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh man, that Montreux show is smokin'. I have the whole thing in HD if anybody needs a hookup.