Page 53 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    even so, i like to think that db intended them to be released at this time in this fashion.
    And i hope there's another one around the corner.
    If I could find this article I read interviewing Tony Visconti last January he said that Bowie's approach to the studio during the Blackstar sessions was different from any other time he had worked with him. He said Bowie was very prepared with demos made in advance of the sessions, he said before Bowie would work on music while in the studio. He also said when Blackstar was completed Bowie had done more demos for another album but passed away before they could start on it. If I can find the article I will post it.

I have been thinking about this a lot and this is purely speculation on my part but I started to think all the areas of Bowie's career where unreleased material could exist. First there has always been the widely speculated soundtrack Bowie did for "The Man Who Fell To Earth" which has been said became the Low album. However it has been speculated that there is an albums worth of material there. Then there are the sessions he did with Iggy Pop in Switzerland, and Berlin which became Low, Heroes, The Idiot, (this really excites me because this is the period in his career that I love). Also during the Lodger sessions Bowie recorded music in Berlin, New York, and Japan. There has also been speculation with regards to those sessions as well. My source for where these sessions took place is the book "Bowie In Berlin". After the Scary Monsters sessions Bowie did work with Giorgio Moroder for the Cat People soundtrack and there is also speculation of unreleased material there. I also speculate that the reunion of Bowie and Eno for the Outside sessions has material as well.

With the release of the box sets like Five Years 1969-1973 and Who Can I Be Now 1974-1976, the Berlin sessions are next. This is the one that really peaks my interests because Rykodisk sort of skipped over this period with their releases and there has been talk of box sets coming out for years for Low, Heroes, and Lodger as well as Scary Monsters. So what is to come next could be very interesting if they decide to address this area of his career.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Your Name Here , even though bowie is one of my favorite artists of all time, there is still enough of his career that i've yet to explore in depth to keep me surprised and excited just going through albums i haven't heard that much.

What i have listened to the most is Diamond Dogs, Low, Scary Monsters, TMWSTW, Outside, Heathen, Earthling, Blackstar, Hunky Dory, Reality and the two disc Best of Bowie.

That means i've yet to really delve into Heroes or Lodger or even Ziggy Stardust.

The man was so goddamn prolific that he became one of my all time favorites and i've only seriously listened to less than half of his work.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @elevenism one of my best friends is a huge King Crimson, Robert Fripp, and Brian Eno fan, He loves Heroes because of Eno's and Fripp's involvement on that record. We always go back and fourth over which is the better album Low or Heroes. I lean towards Low he leans toward Heroes we both agree that both albums are definitely a peak in Bowie's career but we have our reasons for why we lean one way or another. Both Low and Heroes have so much diversity on them and in sense Heroes is an extension of Low but I will admit Heroes goes farther then Low. Every track on both albums is amazing but the thing I find interesting about Heroes is that tracks like V2-Schnieder, Sense Of Doubt, Moss Garden and Neokoln have a dark ambient "Low" sound to them the very last song on the album "The Secret Life Of Arabia" takes a total left turn and is almost a danceable track and seems so out of place on that record, but its a great song. I fucking love the tracks Joe The Lion and Blackout especially Blackout. Bowie's vocal phrasings on that song are very interesting there are times where it seems as though he has too many words for the vocal melody and just jams all the words in there but it works and makes me love the track that much more. The thing is because Bowie was so brilliant as a writer I often forget just how great of a singer he was he had great range as a vocalist, amazing vibrato in his voice, but the thing I think is really brilliant about Bowie as a vocalist was his attention to the backing vocals which made the lead vocal standout so much better. The guy was fucking brilliant. If you haven't spent a lot of time with Heroes I am jealous because you are in for a treat, the album is phenomenal.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    good a time as any to share these, for anyone interested. i wrote pieces on both low and heroes for their respective anniversaries. i prefer heroes as an overall experience, but low is an extremely close second.

http://www.post-punk.com/david-bowie-low/
    http://www.post-punk.com/david-bowie-heroes/

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Thank you @Your Name Here
    After watching that doc last night, i was thinking of taking Heroes for a spin today.
    Now i'm going to do it for sure, like, now

And i enjoyed your article on Low, @frankie teardrop .
    I haven't read the one on Heroes yet, but i will.

Thank you guys both.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw the documentary last night as I downloaded a torrent of the film. Man, it was fun seeing him on tour and be normal. Then it was sad to see him be ill and such while it was good to hear how those songs would come together. I love the ending of David making a fart joke and farting. I bet his farts smell like rainbows and taste like gummi bears. They must be magical farts.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    So I watched the Doc, it was heavy. The quote that stuck with me was Bowie's comment on being famous "It's like being in a luxurious mental hospital" made me laugh. I highly recommend watching but it made me depressed. You already know how this is going to end but it is still a punch in the gut that you can't brace yourself for.
    I loved watching his creativity, seeing all the musicians he had worked with over the years and how their perception of Bowie was viewed first hand. I am a huge Mike Garson fan and I loved hearing from him. I loved hearing from all of them.
    It was a sucker punch all over again experiencing the loss and reliving it again. I guess it is appropriate as we near the one year anniversary of his passing, I just thought I was past this depressing stage.
    It was a great documentary all I can add is brace for impact.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Yeah, it was quite heavy and very emotional. Especially in the lone vocal track of "Lazarus". I wish I had seen the play in its entirety. I'm sure it's incredible.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    It has been a very Bowie day for me, I have been reflecting on all his music today. I have been going all over the place from album to era to era. On a day when NIN has announced their first show of 2017. I'm in a very Bowie world I guess when they actually announce a tour I will be more fired up, I have never been one for festival shows.
    I also thought it was funny when Bowie and the band were at a truck stop on tour and they found a Tin Machine cassette tape in the bargain bin, they were all laughing about it. He did have quite the sense of humor.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maybe I've been living in a hole. What doc?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @Piko David Bowie The Last Five Years BBC 2017

You might want to go to the youtube page to watch it full screen.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

A very interesting conversation with some of Bowie's band members.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    It has been a very Bowie day for me, I have been reflecting on all his music today. I have been going all over the place from album to era to era. On a day when NIN has announced their first show of 2017. I'm in a very Bowie world I guess when they actually announce a tour I will be more fired up, I have never been one for festival shows.
    I also thought it was funny when Bowie and the band were at a truck stop on tour and they found a Tin Machine cassette tape in the bargain bin, they were all laughing about it. He did have quite the sense of humor.
    I also liked the part where he and Earl Slick were playing the crane and won a prize. Bowie surrounding himself w/ Xmas lights. He was probably having so much fun then and just as happy as he could've been. I wonder if he bought the Tin Machine cassette tape.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @thevoid99 Yeah they looked like they were having a blast on the road.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I heard "Blackstar" today in my way to work.
    When the album finished playing i heard "I'm Derranged" right away, it was shocking to hear how much it sounds like a "Blackstar" track!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal "I'm Deranged" Is one of my favorite Bowie songs, I use it for my vocal exercises, I love his voice on that track. It does have a darkness to it like Blackstar. I also love "The Motel" from the Outside album more so because I love Mike Garson's piano playing on that track.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    @henryeatscereal "I'm Deranged" Is one of my favorite Bowie songs, I use it for my vocal exercises, I love his voice on that track. It does have a darkness to it like Blackstar. I also love "The Motel" from the Outside album more so because I love Mike Garson's piano playing on that track.
    You clearly can hear the Jazz influence on "I'm Derranged" and "The Motel", actually i hadn't noticed the big "Acid Jazz" influence that "Outside" has.
    I guess Bowie was experimenting with those Jazz-influenced sounds since "Black Tie, White Noise", and funny enough they are a big part of "Blackstar".

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Funny how feelings travel...

I've had that track nearly on repeat for the past day or so. We're just shy of a month until the 20th anniversary of the Lost Highway soundtrack's release. That was the song that started it all for me.

Love the 'Outside Mix' version too.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal in the recent documentary it talks about Bowie's love of jazz music. Black Tie, White Noise was a very interesting album there are a lot of different textures on that album, it goes in many directions, it does have some cool songs on it. First song I really like on that album is "Pallas Athena" and if you have the two disk version "Pallas Athena (Don't Praying Remix No. 2) is a great hypnotic song that pulsates with an ominous beat. It is even more apparent on the live version found on Earthling In The City, I always thought they should have run that live version right into "Law (Earthlings On Fire) live from the Earthling album. Both songs have a similar pulse to their framework. Back to Black Tie, White Noise, the track "Looking For Lester" has a modern jazz feel to it with some Mike Garson piano near the end. Nite Flights and the title track have great Bowie vocals but the song Miracle Goodnight has a very unique chord progression to it. Also the album Buddha Of Suburbia has a very almost experimental track on it called "Bleed Like A Craze, Dad" where Bowie has very interesting way of singing the lyrics he repeats certain words of the lines where it almost sounds like a delay or an echo and it is hard to tell because there is a lot of reverb on his voice. I saw an interview where he talked about it as sort of experimental thing it has an interesting effect and an avant garde texture from a guy who is known to break all the rules to deliver something truly unique. The two albums Black Tie White Noise and Buddha Of Suburbia seem to be a breeding ground of textures that would lead up to Outside and then Earthling which the latter two would ring in the style that Bowie had in the 90's. All four are great albums all are uniquely different in their own way, it is mind boggling just listening to the transitions from album to album. Its great ride listen to them.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The jungle mix of "I'm Deranged" is just as good as the album version too, imo.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky Agreed!!!

On this day when we are remembering him I thought I'd post this picture he looks so fucking cool.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There were already a fair few clips from the Brixton concert online, but Mike Garson posted this yesterday:

I'm looking forward to seeing Bowie at the BBC tomorrow - an hour of BBC related footage from over the years. Hopefully we'll see a good variety of stuff on there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it included this performance of Life On Mars:

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i caught the NYC show on a free ticket whim. i didn't buy before since i wasn't sure how i'd feel about it. was worried it would be kind of a mess and a bit too karaoke (though i love karaoke otherwise). long story short, i'm glad i went. the whole affair was joyous, emotional, and very well orchestrated to include pretty much every classic as well as a few hardcore surprised. such an amazing lineup of bowie alumni on display, and even the singers i wasn't into on paper or familiar with did a fantastic job. there were a few technical glitches, but that's to be expected with dozens musicians shuffling back and forth.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I JUST WANT TO SEE EARL SLICK AND BERNARD FOWLER DO STATION TO STATION HERE IN TORONTO.

Is that soooo much to ask??

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    they haven't been doing that one so far this time around! 'stay' ripped, however. RIPPED.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    40 years old and still rockin'. Happy birthday, you son of a bitch!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Popping in to say I listened to Outside (with "Get Real" inserted) this morning and it was fucking fantastic, as usual. What an album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Humble posts about this incredible man, this is in my top 5 and always will be. I've probably posted about the choice here several times throughout the years as a member:

Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-14-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    The version of Seven Years from LiveAndWell.com absolutely destroys.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    So I am falling behind in my box set purchases between buying all the Velvet Underground box sets, buying all the Cure Vinyl rereleases, and now the NIN rereleases I have fallen behind on my box set purchases.
    I finally bought "Who Can I be Now-1974-1976" mainly for the Gouster disc, I have all the over stuff in several different formats but because it is Bowie, I MUST OWN IT ALL BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I was curious if anybody knows this as to why the track "After Today" which was recorded during the Young Americans sessions why it wasn't included on Gouster or the Young Americans disc.
    "After Today" appears on the Sound & Vision box set but I wanted a remastered version of the song.