Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Whoa hold on a minute. There's yet another greatest hits thing coming out? Who the fuck allows this shit?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Didn't see these news posted yet:

>> Content Media Corporation has secured distribution for a raft of music-themed titles from Cardinal Releasing. The company added to its slate a number of Cardinal’s new Emperor Media titles produced and directed by music and media industry veteran Jon Brewer. Among the titles that Content is launching for the international market at MIPCOM are Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story, narrated by David Bowie and celebrating the life of guitar virtuoso Mick Ronson...
    The documentary will be making it's debut at Cannes.

and

>> BBC TWO announces a new landmark film, David Bowie: The Last Five Years to air in January 2017, produced and directed by Francis Whately as a follow-up to his acclaimed David Bowie: Five Years which was broadcast on BBC Two in 2013.
    As with the first film, this new piece will feature a wealth of rare and unseen archive footage and early audio interviews which have never been released before. This includes the original vocal which Bowie recorded for Lazarus, his last release before his death, which has never been heard before.
    David Bowie: The Last Five Years will focus on the three major projects of Bowie's last five years - the best-selling albums, The Next Day and Blackstar, alongside the musical Lazarus.

and

The worldwide DB tribute tour will supposedly launch next year (dates tbd) featuring the following personnel:
    Mike Garson, Earl Slick, Adrian Belew, Mark Plati, Gerry Leonard, Gail Ann Dorsey, Sterling Campbell, Zachary Alford, Holly Palmer, Cat Russell, Plus special guests

and lastly...

Bowie Is exhibition comes to Barcelona, starting May 27
    Last edited by fillow; 11-15-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes - I'd forgotten about the Celebrating David Bowie shows. First one is in London - here's the Facebook events page. https://www.facebook.com/events/1695470564101696/
    Can't say I'm not intrigued, but I'm a bit wary after some of the previous Bowie tribute events. Nice that it's at Brixton though - two minutes from his old home and all that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Picture I've taken for "Merry Christmas" e-mails, an empty room with very small USB tree, tablet with specific image, and nothing more. No more light at the scene, so quite noisy too, and I like it.

Edit: Actually, I don't believe any of my recipients actually "got the message", but I did and that's what matters... ;-) And you did/do, too.
    Last edited by Substance242; 12-24-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Whoa hold on a minute. There's yet another greatest hits thing coming out? Who the fuck allows this shit?
    Sad, innit? I saw a copy of The Man Who Fell To Earth's soundtrack in an HMV the other day...can't help but marvel at how convenient the recent discovery of lost master tapes really seems (e.g, we had no interest in ever putting this stuff out in the past few decades but NOW....)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Sad, innit? I saw a copy of The Man Who Fell To Earth's soundtrack in an HMV the other day...can't help but marvel at how convenient the recent discovery of lost master tapes really seems (e.g, we had no interest in ever putting this stuff out in the past few decades but NOW....)
    i'm still pissed about this article's title, it's incredibly misleading. one glance makes it seem like they found the lost demos/reels from bowie's OWN version of the soundtrack (most of which informed/was re-recorded for low), but instead, it's just a way to plug the less interesting score in wake of his death. i actually just fell for it again, dammit.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i'm still pissed about this article's title, it's incredibly misleading. one glance makes it seem like they found the lost demos/reels from bowie's OWN version of the soundtrack (most of which informed/was re-recorded for low), but instead, it's just a way to plug the less interesting score in wake of his death. i actually just fell for it again, dammit.
    Im actually glad this soundtrack came out finally...What sucks is that the vinyl version cuts a ton of songs that are on the digital/DC version. lame.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I thought I would stop by one last time this for this miserable fucking year that seems to be killing off everybody I admire. 2016 started off with a brick to the face when Bowie passed and I am still not over it but I am in a better place I was almost a year ago. The loss of Bowie & Prince was unbelievably sad for me they were both icons at what they did.
    Now we are finally at the end 2016 and the loss just keeps on hitting us from George Michael, to Carrie Fisher and her mother a day later Debbie Reynolds, 2016 was a motherfucker.
    The one that absolutely killed me this year was the loss of David Bowie and it still gives me a hard time but I can deal with it better now.
    After Bowie passed I couldn't listen to his music for a month or two it was a sucker punch that fucked me up badly. Then I started to slowly listening to his music again but it wasn't easy. Keep in mind I have been listening to him all my life. In fact it wasn't until last week that I finally pulled out Blackstar and started listening to it. The last time I played it was January 10th. I just could not listen to it, it was too hard. I remember watching the Martian earlier this year on blu ray and had to turn it off at the scene when they start playing Bowie's "Starman" I liked the movie but wasn't expecting to hear the Bowie song because up until that point they had been playing disco music for the soundtrack.
    That is how hard Bowie's death hit me, but then I started to think that every time Bowie would release an album I would spend a lot of time with the newest release, but with Blackstar I just couldn't do it. So I finally got up the nerve last week to put it in and allow myself to enjoy the final work by Bowie even if it is a year in delay. It really is a phenomenal record, it is very dark and I love that and I love his background vocal parts that he did. I am glad I finally mustered the nerve to get on with it and start listening Blackstar and I know a lot of you here may feel the same way I did and maybe had to put that album away for a while but when you are ready just know Bowie left us with a masterpiece on his way out.
    It is an understatement that 2016 was a fucking asshole of a year for celebrity deaths and if you were a fan of any of the other musicians or actors that have passed this year as I am with Bowie, then I am sure you are going through your own private hell coming to terms with the loss. I know Star Wars fans have to be crushed at Carrie Fishers passing.
    I was reading the Dead Souls thread and somebody wrote that the planet will die in 2017 and my guess is that will happen after January 20th.
    There were a few good things that happened this year Radiohead released a great album and I did spend most of the year listening to it. The Cure toured and I spent most of the year reflecting their entire catalog. As well as Trent followed through on releasing some NIN this year and I would imagine a month ago you guys must have been going nuts. I like the NIN e.p. and I look forward to the album.
    As for all the Bowie fans who may have found themselves lost all year long like myself, I say break out the Blackstar album and enjoy it because it is very good. You can still mourn his passing but it is time to start healing and enjoy his final work because it is amazing. As well as Bowie's entire catalog I have even visited parts of his catalog that I didn't care for like the 80's era and have found new appreciation for certain tracks. I also have been playing the shit out of the very early Bowie works as well.
    As for 2016 it is your turn to die in less then two days and I won't miss 2016 one bit.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Your Name Here , i was also devastated by the loss of Bowie, but i went the opposite route.
    I have listened to Blackstar at LEAST 125 times this year.
    I watched every live bowie video i could get my hands on.
    I revisited Heathen and Earthling and Low and Hunky Dory etc.
    I watched Absolute Beginners again.
    It made me feel like David wasn't really dead, because we can summon him whenever we wish, just by turning on his music!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Your Name Here , i was also devastated by the loss of Bowie, but i went the opposite route.
    I have listened to Blackstar at LEAST 125 times this year.
    I watched every live bowie video i could get my hands on.
    I revisited Heathen and Earthling and Low and Hunky Dory etc.
    I watched Absolute Beginners again.
    It made me feel like David wasn't really dead, because we can summon him whenever we wish, just by turning on his music!
    What up?

For me it was hard right after Bowie's passing to listen to any of his music. I loved all of the 90's stuff he did as well as all of the 70's stuff and the majority of it is pretty much the soundtrack to my life, but once he passed, for me it was just too depressing to listen to his music without feeling a tremendous sense of loss. As the year progressed I started missing Low & Heroes, Outside & Earthling and then I began to binge everything but Blackstar (that one was still too painful). Although I consider Scary Monsters (one of my favorites) a 70's album it does have an 80's release date. I then started pulling out the Let's Dance and Tonight albums these are albums I usually avoided but songs like "Loving The Alien", "Absolute Beginners", "Cat People" and "This Is Not America" I have found new appreciation for. I did pull out the Reality Tour DVD and began to reminisce when I saw him on The Reality tour in 2004 and who knew that was going to be the last tour. I also began to listen to albums he produced for Lou Reed and Iggy Pop which then triggered a Lou Reed/ Velvet Underground binge as well as an Iggy Pop binge. I watched Basquait and his portrayal of Andy Warhol in that movie was amazing (still one of my favorite movies).
    It was a roundabout way of mourning for me but in some ways I have him back in my life even if he is not with us any longer in the physical world.
    I have to say 2016 took so many talented people and I really don't recall a year being so devastating as 2016. I was never a huge George Michael fan I like some of his songs but he was a really good singer but he was only 53, thats fucking ridiculous and on Christmas Day then Carrie Fisher and there is still two days left of this miserable fucking year.
    Bowie hit me the hardest so hard that really haven't grieved for Prince, in some ways I still feel like Prince is still alive. Its just because I have been grieving for Bowie all this time.

One thing that has crossed my mind is that I often wonder what Bowie would have done with the songs from "The Next Day" and "Blackstar" live. Both albums have so much potential for live interpretations, that it boggles the mind at the thought of how he would have approached these albums live especially "Blackstar".
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 12-29-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: after thought

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Blackstar is the sound of Donny McCaslin's band, doing their thing with Bowie out front. The Next Day was a hybrid band, covering different latter-day Bowie eras. What I like about the recordings on the Lazarus soundtrack is it sounds like one band that can do it all. Had he been able to, I think he might have used that lineup to tour.

As a matter of fact, Bowie's last time performing on stage was informally, after a cast rehearsal, singing "Lazarus" with the Lazarus band. One of many astonishing facts I learned in this interview.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    astonishing facts I learned in this interview.
    "I haven't had this much fun since my heart attack." ;-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As a matter of fact, Bowie's last time performing on stage was informally, after a cast rehearsal, singing "Lazarus" with the Lazarus band. One of many astonishing facts I learned in this interview.
    Great read. Thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    With the anniversary of his death and his birthday upcoming, I'm listening to 'The Next Day' for the first time in a while this morning. Gobsmacked by just how damn good this album is. I know part of it is just the associated thrill of comeback Bowie at the time, but almost every song is killer. I never really want to skip any tracks. And even the extra tracks are really good too.

I know many people here are big fans of his 90s work, but for my taste, I would take The Next Day and Blackstar together over the entirety of his output after 'Scary Monsters' up through 'Reality.' Though I did listen to '1. Outside' yesterday on a long drive and still really enjoy it, with some songs in particular really stellar. I never really gave "Voyeur of Utter Destruction" much thought the first hundred times or so, but on this listen it really stood out as a great piece.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I've been slowly revisiting the man's works over the past month following a long, long absence where listening just made me too miserable to bear. Every time I tried I'd get too lost in thought to enjoy what I was listening to.

It's fucking impossible to not find at least one track to love on absolutely every single thing the man put out. Bad years or no, he was just too damned good at what he did to ever go completely and utterly wrong. "You Belong In Rock and Roll" off Tin Machine II's been getting a lot of airplay from me. Love that track. Is it wrong that assuming these period boxes continue, I'm looking forward to the mid-80's-early 90's coverage more than almost any other era?

I think that with the passage of years, much of the stigma of there being a serious drop-off in quality after Scary Monsters from which he never recovered is going to fade, if it hasn't started already, amended to a period of 'middling middle years'. Blackstar was a spectacular farewell, The Next Day a great (if slightly overlong) listen from beginning to end, and I believe firmly that Heathen belongs up there with some of his very best. He'll be remembered as having an exceptionally strong close to his career.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm currently working on a list of 70 songs that people should listen to by Bowie but it won't include the hits which I feel is too easy to do. I'm going for lesser-known album cuts, B-sides, alternate versions, and live versions. So far, I have 46 songs listed as I hope to post the list on Sunday for what would've been his 70th birthday.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I'm currently working on a list of 70 songs that people should listen to by Bowie but it won't include the hits which I feel is too easy to do. I'm going for lesser-known album cuts, B-sides, alternate versions, and live versions. So far, I have 46 songs listed as I hope to post the list on Sunday for what would've been his 70th birthday.
    If Subterraneans isn't already on that list then it ought to be. I'd even make a case for adding a couple of his Iggy Pop collabs just to show off how much he could do without his vocals being front and center, too, but I totally get if you want to keep it more purist (though, bare minimum, I'd still fight for Sister Midnight to be placed alongside Red Money to showcase how huge of a difference his vocals and lyrics brought to that composition and to highlight how he could take things and really spin them into something new).

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    If Subterraneans isn't already on that list then it ought to be. I'd even make a case for adding a couple of his Iggy Pop collabs just to show off how much he could do without his vocals being front and center, too, but I totally get if you want to keep it more purist (though, bare minimum, I'd still fight for Sister Midnight to be placed alongside Red Money to showcase how huge of a difference his vocals and lyrics brought to that composition and to highlight how he could take things and really spin them into something new).
    I actually have included a live version of "Subterraneans" in the list but w/ "Scary Monsters" that is performed w/ NIN. I just love that version. I'm just going for different kind of songs. I thought about including instrumentals but I'm just going for songs. I've also included a couple of B-sides from Never Let Me Down in "Julie" and "Girls" which I thought were better than a lot of the songs on the original album.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I also hope your list includes the demo of Candidate. So starkly different the album version. It's probably one of my absolute favorite unreleased-ish songs by Bowie.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I also hope your list includes the demo of Candidate. So starkly different the album version. It's probably one of my absolute favorite unreleased-ish songs by Bowie.
    Oh, I'll consider that. I'm also putting in some Tin Machine stuff as there's some good songs they did.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    100% agreed... Alternative Candidate for lyfe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I actually did something similar last January. Here was my facebook post back then:

Over the last 10 years or so my appreciation of and fascination with David Bowie and his music have grown. I would certainly say that at this point they compare to or exceed my appreciation of and fascination with artists like Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Trent Reznor, Talking Heads, Radiohead, the Kinks, the Stones, and the Beatles. People have been posting favorite songs and I thought I’d try to make a list of my favorites that would focus more on rare tracks, deeper album cuts, and other oddities (though of course some hits made the list). It ended up being 57 tracks and four and a half hours of music…
    I’ll post the list here in the hopes that some of you may find something new or interesting or familiar or revelatory or forgotten in this list of tracks that I really love…

Janine - Bowie at the Beeb Disc 1 1969
    The Width of a Circle - Bowie at the Beeb Disc 1 1970
    Oh! You Pretty Things - Hunky Dory 1971
    Quicksand - Hunky Dory 1971
    Eight Line Poem - Bowie at the Beeb Disc 2 1971
    It Ain't Easy - Ziggy Stardust 1972
    Star - Ziggy Stardust 1972
    Suffragette City - Ziggy Stardust 1972
    Moonage Daydream - Bowie at the Beeb Disc 2 1972
    Watch That Man - Aladdin Sane 1973
    Rosalyn – Pin Ups 1973
    Sorrow - Pin Ups 1973
    Growin' Up – Pin Ups (Bonus Track) 1973
    Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise) – David Live 1974
    Here Today, Gone Tomorrow – David Live 1974
    Rock & Roll With Me – Diamond Dogs 1974
    We Are the Dead – Diamond Dogs 1974
    Alternative Candidate – Diamond Dogs (Bonus Disc) 1974
    Young Americans – Young Americans 1975
    Fascination – Young Americans 1975
    Word On A Wing – Station to Station 1976
    Wild Is The Wind – Station to Station 1976
    Always Crashing In The Same Car – Low 1977
    Be My Wife – Low 1977
    Art Decade – Low 1977
    Yassassin – Lodger 1979
    Ashes to Ashes - Scary Monsters 1980
    Because You're Young - Scary Monsters 1980
    Crystal Japan - Scary Monsters (Bonus Track) 1980
    Cat People (Putting Out Fire) – Soundtrack Version 1982
    Without You – Let’s Dance 1983
    Hallo Spaceboy – Outside 1995
    Thru' These Architects Eyes – Outside 1995
    Strangers When We Meet – Outside 1995
    The Man Who Sold The World (1995 Tour Version) - Strangers When We Meet 1995
    Hurt – Live 1995-10-11 (NIN and Bowie 1995)
    Looking For Satellites – Earthling 1997
    I'm Afraid of Americans V1 - I'm Afraid of Americans 1997
    New Angels Of Promise - 'Hours...' 1999
    Seven [Beck Mix #1] - 'Hours…' [Bonus Disc] 1999
    We Shall Go To Town - 'Hours…' [Bonus Disc] 1999
    Wild Is the Wind - Bowie at the Beeb [Bonus Disc] Disc 3 2000
    Absolute Beginners - Bowie at the Beeb [Bonus Disc] Disc 3 2000
    America – Concert for New York 2001
    Sunday – Heathen 2002
    Slip Away – Heathen 2002
    5.15 the Angels Have Gone – Heathen 2002
    The Loneliest Guy – Reality 2003
    Try Some, Buy Some – Reality 2003
    Bring Me the Disco King – Reality 2003
    Sister Midnight – A Reality Tour 2003
    Heroes (Aphex Twin Remix) - 26 Mixes For Cash 2003
    Dirty Boys – The Next Day 2013
    Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix) - The Next Day Extra 2013
    Sound And Vision (Sonjay Prabhakar 2013 Remix)
    Sue (Or in a Season of Crime) – Single Version 2014
    Girl Loves Me – Blackstar 2015
    Last edited by talkingnothing; 01-04-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @thevoid99 I'm sure everybody could add input to your 70 song Bowie list, I'll wait to see which songs you choose. Of all the members here that continually post on the Bowie thread my guess is each one the members 70 song lists would be different but I bet 20 of the 70 songs would all appear on everybody's list. Bowie has a vast library of music with so many different eras and musical style's that at 70 songs would still make it it tough to choose 70 tracks even when you leave out the hits as you say you are.
    I have been listening to a lot of Bowie from early career up to Blackstar and I have noticed some very eery lyrics that were never meant to be prophesies or to prognosticate his death but if you take the one line out of the song its interpretation can take on an alternative meaning. There are not as many lines that Bowie had as Prince has for example the Prince song Let's Go Crazy and the line "I'm not going to the elevator bring us down" in that song the elevator is a metaphor for the devil, but Prince died in the elevator at Paisley Park. These are nothing more then weird coincidences but they in a weird way seem like creepy predictions. If you take Prince's song Sometimes It Snows In April and the obvious fact that Prince died in April, but there are so many creepy almost forecasts in that song when you look back on it now.
    Bowie for a while in the 70's use to write one line at a time lyrics and throw them into a hat then randomly select them and create the song. I have been trying to find more lyrics from Bowie that almost seem like odd predictions I have found a few. Again these lyrics were never meant to have these meanings but seem odd now that we have watched events play out.
    I'm not nor have I ever been some conspiracy nut, but I have noticed some creepy coincidences in the lyrics of both Prince and Bowie but I guess that it is inevitable when they have both written so many songs.
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 01-04-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    100% agreed... Alternative Candidate for lyfe

that is a magnificent piece of vinyl there! I'd love to own that beauty.

personally, these era boxed sets lately are such a missed opportunity to collect b-sides and such together for their respective era. The Re:Call collections should function in that way, but instead, they are curios of single edits and such.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have a few of the rykos on wax, including young americans and man who sold the world, but aside from those two, i'm dying to have diamond dogs for that track and ESPECIALLY low for 'some are.'

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm just going to go for the songs that I love and that stood out to me since his passing. I'm hoping to post this on Sunday as I'm going for a chronological list. It's going to be a goodbye of sorts to him.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    looking forward to your picks! speaking of tributes, if anyone is in NYC these days, i'm doing a 5-hour happy hour, all vinyl at a bar in the LES this friday... i did one last year just days after his passing and it seems only fitting to make it a tradition.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm waiting any day for the announcement of a "Blackstar" deluxe edition much like "The Next Day Extra" boxset with the rumored unreleased tracks from the sessions and also it would make sense to include "No plan", "killing a little time" and "When i met you"; plus the alternate versions for "Sue..." and "Tis a Pity She Was a Whore", i know this is coming.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://blog.kexp.org/davidbowie/

It was a year ago this week that KEXP both celebrated the birth and then shockingly, mourned the death of David Bowie at the age of 69. With the help of both those who knew him best and the man himself, KEXP will dig deep into his influential catalog of music spanning nearly 50-years.
    Beginning Sunday, January 8th, on what would have been David Bowie’s 70th birthday, and culminating Tuesday, January 10th on the one-year anniversary of his passing, KEXP DJs John Richards, Cheryl Waters, Stevie Zoom, Larry Rose and Evie Cooke will share rare songs, and we’ll hear from those who knew Bowie best, including producers and friends Brian Eno, Tony Visconti and Nile Rodgers, as well as, Robert Smith of the Cure, Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor and even the former Thin White Duke himself. Clips from these interviews will be featured on the KEXP Blog, alongside videos, news, and a list of Bowie-related events around Seattle.
    “Last year we celebrated 12 hours of Bowie on his birthday and the release of Blackstar. Little did we know he was near death. Days later when we woke up to the terrible news, we turned around and did 12 more hours of nothing but Bowie,” said KEXP Morning Show host John Richards. “There may not be another artist who has influenced and informed every aspect of the KEXP mission than David Bowie. His music has not only influenced nearly every broadcast day that we’ve been on the air, but clearly, his art has propelled so many of the artists we love. Thank you, David Bowie. We miss you every day.”

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    New video for "No Plan"!

Also a digital EP available featuring No Plan, Killing A Little Time, When I Met you, and Lazarus.