Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    David Slowie [at performing live]
    I read this and I wonder, I really do.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I read this and I wonder, I really do.
    I've never seen him live, so that's a bummer.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That bummed me even more as I've wanted to see him live for so many years and have blown it several times. I really hope he would do one more tour but slow things down so he can take his time for the sake of his health.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Discovered this today

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That was not one of Bowie's great moments. I didn't like the hair he had back then. Plus, I don't drink Pepsi. I'm a Coke/Sprite guy.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    That was not one of Bowie's great moments. I didn't like the hair he had back then. Plus, I don't drink Pepsi. I'm a Coke/Sprite guy.
    LOL that was a pretty bad haircut, yeah... circa '87? Even the dorky slicked-back Weird Science look from the same ad is better. I like seeing Tina dance with Bowie, though, and their re-cut version of "Modern Love" is cheesy fun.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    what about heathen?

i fucking LOVED that record. The first song with the strange, strange guitar part, the grooviness of I Would Be Your Slave (or whatever it's called,) and the way the bits of futuristic sound mixed with traditional style...i found it fairly unique. Someone said Neo-classicist, or something like that...that's a good way of describing it.

I'm still waiting for Outside 2: Contamination, goddamnit. Outside was the Bowie album that hooked me...i was sixteen and OBSESSED.

Bowie blows my mind because he created music that my father loved and my grandfather couldn't stand, (Ziggy,) and decades later, was creating music that i loved and my father couldn't stand (outside, earthling.)

Is there a good album or bootleg of bowie remixes, BTW?
    i really wish he hadn't abandoned (to whatever degree) the Outside approach/aesthetic – heretical as it may be, it's the only Bowie record with no songs i dislike!

i guess that's unfair, though, since i am obsessed with the Dissonance tour, and that was why i got into Bowie at all.

no proper remix compilations but a bunch of bonus discs of more recent albums have a lot of remix material; try the jungle mix of "I'm Deranged," the Basquiat mix of "A Small Plot of Land," and definitely the '90s rework of "The Man Who Sold the World" (from the Strangers When We Meet single/Dissonance bootlegs too, i guess) if you haven't heard them!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    The Dissonance version of "Andy Warhol">>>>>>>>>

Last edited by botley; 03-12-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Wait... that was from 2013.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Fuck. It popped up on my FB feed and I went slightly insane.

Well, I'm just hoping plans are still in progress.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I just watched this live video from 78 in Japan, and I think everyone needs to see this.
    I'm floored.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just watched this live video from 78 in Japan, and I think everyone needs to see this.
    I'm floored.

That's the same tour as "Stage" (live album). Same set list, backdrop, players.

I could do without Belew's massacre of Fripp's guitar part in "Heroes" but I love all the Ziggy stuff and that was an over-the-top treatment of "Warzawa" at the time. And I think I had that same hair in 1978 LOL.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    ah, I thought Belew was amazing in that video. The only low point for me is the unfortunate mix at the beginning of Soul Love
    Especially the solo at the beginning of Station To Station... that's just amazing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I own that "Bowie on Japan" bootleg on DVD, it's a good concert (shame about the quality, though...)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ah, I thought Belew was amazing in that video. The only low point for me is the unfortunate mix at the beginning of Soul Love
    Especially the solo at the beginning of Station To Station... that's just amazing.
    I like the solo in the beginning of Station to Station but that's pretty much the same solo from the record (Earl Slick), so ...

I don't like some of the musical arrangements for "Stage" because it just seems too "Vegas" to me. Although it IS the late-70s and that is reflected a bit. And I guess I'm just an Earl Slick kind of girl.

Now, compare that to, say, this (Earl Sllck, Earl Slick, Earl Slick):

Yes, Bowie's voice is affected by WAY TOO MUCH COKE but it's still less Vegas.

Last edited by allegro; 09-29-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I saw this tour in Detroit at the Joe, I remember most of my friends getting LIMOS it was such a big fucking deal hahahahahahahahahhaaaa

Another tour with my boy Earl Slick! (And Carlos Alomar!)

Last edited by allegro; 09-29-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Speaking of Bowie and Slick

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Earl Slick is the goddamn man. This is the tour where I saw him play in Bowie's band:

Last edited by botley; 09-29-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Earl is just fucking great. I think he was one of the few guitarists that Bowie has had that was as good as Mick Ronson. For me, Ronson was Bowie's best guitarist. As for the rhythm section, it's Dennis Davis and George Murray though Mick Woodmansey and Trevor Bolder is just a close second.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Earl Slick is the goddamn man. This is the tour where I saw him play in Bowie's band
    I saw that tour, too! (Reality) We had, like, SEVENTH ROW at the Rosemont Theater, holy crap.

Like I've said in here, before, the only Bowie tour I saw but DIDN'T like was this one. It was just, um, weird. (And it had Peter Frampton instead of Earl Slick, LOL)
    Last edited by allegro; 09-29-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    People may not realize that Carlos Alomar helped Iggy and Bowie cowrite this song (from Iggy's The Idiot, natch, but Bowie also performed it live during his "Station to Station" tour):

(Alomar also played guitar on Iggy's Bowie-produced albums, The Idiot and Lust for Life)
    Last edited by allegro; 09-29-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    And that song was later re-made by Bowie as "Red Money" from Lodger. I'm sure Alomar came up with the riffs in those songs. He also came up with the riffs in "Fame" which is why he got writing credit on that. Alomar is one of my favorite personnel from Bowie's camp as I think of him as probably the most important collaborator for Bowie aside from the Spiders of Mars, Tony Visconti, Ken Scott, and Brian Eno.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    sister midnight >>>>>> red money, imo, glad that DB embraced the original over his butchering of it (i otherwise like lodger a lot). the idiot is a pretty amazing record in its own right. so is lust for life, if you can disassociate the rhythm section from tin machine.

alomar is my favorite bowie guitarist, personally. while he isn't terribly flashy or iconic as slick or fripp or ronson (or even gabrels), he was a solid backbone and innovative in his own right. i love what bowie did with his entire young americans backing band, pushing them to art-damaged extremes for the rest of the decade to better and better results, yet still keeping that funk.

as for slick, he rules too- only got to see him as part of the small, more intimate tour for heathen when he played each of the five boroughs... lots of cool stuff on the set (annoyingly, we did not get 'belway brothers' or 'look back in anger' at our show), though i would have also liked to have seen the reality tour as well for a couple of other great cuts. i think i only missed it since i was living in woodstock (very close to slick's homeground, speaking of) for the summer after college and couldn't get down to NYC. i moved here in september, but by that time, bowie had retired from stage...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    This is one of my favorite Bowie videos ever from a live show in 1978 in Dallas in one of my favorite tracks from Low:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    sister midnight >>>>>> red money, imo, glad that DB embraced the original over his butchering of it (i otherwise like lodger a lot). the idiot is a pretty amazing record in its own right.
    I prefer Lust for Life over The Idiot, it's probably one of my fave records of all time.

According to Wikipedia, I guess Carlos Alomar wrote this iconic intro riff?

And the intro riff to this?

Last edited by allegro; 09-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I prefer Lust for Life over The Idiot, it's probably one of my fave records of all time.

According to Wikipedia, I guess Carlos Alomar wrote this iconic intro riff?

And the intro riff to this?

Lust for Life all the way!