Thread: Best Debut Albums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Nothing is as bad as “Mother.” But, I totally absolutely 100% concur with your opinion, here.
    wooooooof yeah that song is...bad

i'm really surprised to see several people including Candyass by Orgy. while it's really good and has amazing singles, the album doesn't feel as cohesive or as realized to me as Vapor Transmission does.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-12-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

i'm really surprised to see several people including Candyass by Orgy. while it's really good and has amazing singles, the album doesn't feel as cohesive or as realized to me as Vapor Transmission does.
    To me it has a bit of a darker edge and feels a little less polished.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Eva and The Spectrum (? bonus track at the end) are probably the best things that band has ever done, but I do think the debut album is better overall.

My picks are definitely

Abandoned Pools - Humanistic
    Autolux - Future Perfect
    the B-52's - S/T*
    Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    the Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
    Editors - The Back Room
    Florence + the Machine - Lungs
    IAMX - Kiss + Swallow
    Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
    the Killers - Hot Fuss
    Metric - Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?**
    Our Lady Peace - Naveed
    Placebo - S/T
    the Presets - Beams
    She Wants Revenge - S/T
    the Spores - Imagine the Future***
    Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery
    U2 - Boy
    the xx - xx

*Cosmic Thing comes damn close.
    **I know that Grow Up and Blow Away is technically their first but it was shelved for years before being released, so...
    ***Admittedly not knowing if that's their first album. I only know of Doom Pop otherwise, but it seems like there's perhaps other bands with the same name as well.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-13-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    KISS-KISS. Most people would go with Alive or Destroyer, but the debut wins out for me.
    i should probably put this in the "controversial" thread but hands down, my favorite KISS album is Dynasty, and Songs From The Elder is in second place. same with my wife. and we unabashedly love watching their ridiculous 80s videos. we're weird KISS fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    *scrolls through his iTunes library*
    i definitely have no idea what some of those are without the artists listed hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    This is the best debut album ever.
    yes it is

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Abandoned Pools - Humanistic
    oooh that's a close one for me. i love Armed To The Teeth just as much...i don't know if i could choose between them. did you get into them because they did the Clone High theme song? because that's how i got into them haha. also had NO idea they put out two more albums at the beginning of the decade.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    i should probably put this in the "controversial" thread but hands down, my favorite KISS album is Dynasty, and Songs From The Elder is in second place. same with my wife. and we unabashedly love watching their ridiculous 80s videos. we're weird KISS fans.
    I love this. It's such a goofy, dated video.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    i definitely have no idea what some of those are without the artists listed hahaha
    well, if a title is intriguing I can help with an artist and perhaps suggest a track or two to get an idea...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    oooh that's a close one for me. i love Armed To The Teeth just as much...i don't know if i could choose between them. did you get into them because they did the Clone High theme song? because that's how i got into them haha. also had NO idea they put out two more albums at the beginning of the decade.
    ooh! I forgot all about that show lmao. I was following Garbage around on tour in like 2001/2002? And AP opened up those shows. They blew me away every night, they even did songs that never showed up until yeeears later like 9 Billion, Tighter Noose and Red Flag.. and their fucking Army of Me cover ♥♥ Pretty sure I saw them open up for APC once at some point too, but nothing can top those shows with Garbage for me.
    The "band" is really just Tommy Walter who (stupid trivia) was originally the bassist for the Eels for the beautiful freak album (that might even be a contender for this thread lol).
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-13-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Really? I feel they're pretty cohesive. For me, Candyass sounds like the band performing in some dark, grimey club, whereas Vapor Transmission sees them performing in some super flashy, futuristic club. I've always preferred Candyass because of that imagery. It makes it more intriguing to me.

Also, here's my list:

Audioslave - Audioslave
    CKY - Vol. 1 [This album is just solid all the way through.]
    Chris Cornell - Euphoria Mourning [This is more of a stylistic preference.]
    The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium [Don't get me wrong, the albums that followed are great... I just don't think anything has topped the vibe of the debut.]
    Orgy - Candyass
    A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms [Thirteenth Step was great, but I find myself skipping tracks on that one. I always listen to Mer de Noms all the way through.]
    Son of Sam - Songs from the Earth [To be fair, I never gave the second album a chance because Davey wasn't involved.]
    30 Seconds to Mars - 30 Seconds to Mars [No fucking contest. I can't stand the commercial direction the band went on the subsequent follow-ups. They had something special with that first album.]
    Tricky - Maxinquaye [Nothing after this album ever fully grabbed me.]

That's all I've got, I think.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 05-20-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Corrected Mars Volta album title.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Really? I feel they're pretty cohesive. For me, Candyass sounds like the band performing in some dark, grimey club, whereas Vapor Transmission sees them performing in some super flashy, futuristic club. I've always preferred Candyass because of that imagery. It makes it more intriguing to me.

Also, here's my list:

Audioslave - Audioslave
    CKY - Vol. 1 [This album is just solid all the way through.]
    Chris Cornell - Euphoria Mourning [This is more of a stylistic preference.]
    The Mars Volta - De-Loused at the Comatorium [Don't get me wrong, the albums that followed are great... I just don't think anything has topped the vibe of the debut.]
    Orgy - Candyass
    A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms [Thirteenth Step was great, but I find myself skipping tracks on that one. I always listen to Mer de Noms all the way through.]
    Son of Sam - Songs from the Earth [To be fair, I never gave the second album a chance because Davey wasn't involved.]
    30 Seconds to Mars - 30 Seconds to Mars [No fucking contest. I can't stand the commercial direction the band went on the subsequent follow-ups. They had something special with that first album.]
    Tricky - Maxinquaye [Nothing after this album ever fully grabbed me.]

That's all I've got, I think.
    That 30STM album is so good. I was lucky enough to be able to see them right after they released it in a 500 capacity venue and they killed it.