Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: AVOTT Watch Party With Rob

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    AVOTT Watch Party With Rob

    Rob Sheridan is host a watch party on Saturday May 9th at 5pm PST. I got this info in an email.

    Info on how to watch along here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/36869913

    (Also, If I'm breaking any rules by posting this, sorry, mods please delete.)
    Last edited by nmitchell86; 05-08-2020 at 11:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    You have to be a patron of his to participate, but you can join for as little as $1.

  3. 05-08-2020 12:47 PM
    This post has been down-ranked. Click "View Post" to view it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    So Rob is trying to get us to subscribe to a service so we can hear him talk and he can profit? I don't care if it's only $1, but considering what's going on in the world, it seems like a cash grab. This is the wrong time to rip-off fans. I'm sorry that he is not making money right now, but neither are we, and we are not rock-stars. What an a-hole....
    Rob is an artist. His Patreon page has been going on for several years now, and he provides a lot of content there. It's hard for artists to make a living right now. How is it unreasonable of him to have a Patreon account?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    So Rob is trying to get us to subscribe to a service so we can hear him talk and he can profit? I don't care if it's only $1, but considering what's going on in the world, it seems like a cash grab. This is the wrong time to rip-off fans. I'm sorry that he is not making money right now, but neither are we, and we are not rock-stars. What an a-hole....
    If you follow his socials you'll see that he and his wife get on Twitch all the time and play games with anyone who shows up...for free. A lot of Quiplash. He's also raised over $250K to help COVID-19 relief through his Glitch Goods Store. I get it, a lot of us are broke and jobless, but for a dollar, that you can cancel after the first month, it's a deal; if you like this sort of format and want a more personal behind the scene experience. Plus what else do you have to do on Saturday evening if you're like most people stuck at home?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,493
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I don’t have a problem with this, I wish I could join in but I just can’t predict when I’ll be able to join anything now we have the kids with us 24/7. Also the timing is probably shit for the U.K.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don’t have a problem with this, I wish I could join in but I just can’t predict when I’ll be able to join anything now we have the kids with us 24/7. Also the timing is probably shit for the U.K.
    Yeah that would be Sunday 4AM GMT.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,308
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    If you're still employed and in the same financial situation as you were before covid it's almost a no brainer to subscribe to some of these folks patreons. It's not much but I subscribe to 3 or 4 artists because they're completely fucked right now and I don't want the music to die before this is over.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,493
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    If you're still employed and in the same financial situation as you were before covid it's almost a no brainer to subscribe to some of these folks patreons. It's not much but I subscribe to 3 or 4 artists because they're completely fucked right now and I don't want the music to die before this is over.
    Yeah although I’ve been unemployed since last December my husband is still doing ok and we can survive on his earnings for a while. I actually bought Alessandro Cortinis discography on bandcamp because they’re doing a discount, I may actually get all of John Carpenters too as my mum gave me some money for my birthday last month

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    So Rob is trying to get us to subscribe to a service so we can hear him talk and he can profit? I don't care if it's only $1, but considering what's going on in the world, it seems like a cash grab. This is the wrong time to rip-off fans. I'm sorry that he is not making money right now, but neither are we, and we are not rock-stars. What an a-hole....
    As someone else who is unemployed now (and for at least another year), this is a ridiculous take. Don't have the money? I'm sorry to hear it, I really am - but move along. Rob (or anyone else) doing this is not hurting your situation at all. Don't you dare call someone a rip-off for trying to look after themselves. Not everyone is broke. Lots of people have money to burn, and lots more have a little bit that they can use on non-essentials to keep them from going insane. Artists continuing to work and finding ways to offer their services to those who are interested in buying them is nothing to scold.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I understand. I was speaking out of my ass. That should have stayed inside my head, sorry.
    A new release by NIN or TR+AR on vinyl and/or CD is definitely something I would spend my money on right now. If only...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,184
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    I understand. I was speaking out of my ass. That should have stayed inside my head, sorry.
    A new release by NIN or TR+AR on vinyl and/or CD is definitely something I would spend my money on right now. If only...
    Thanks for apologising.

    Look at it this way.

    Let's say an artist that you respect and admire puts out a new release every year and charges $12 for it. Let's say that artist is Trent. Would you pay that much for access to that music?

    Now transfer this logic over to Rob's Patreon. Patrons get exclusive blog posts, sketches, art events, basically everything you could possibly want if you like his art and opinion. All for a measly $1 per month, and you can cancel at any time.
    Imagine if Trent did this and shared snippets of demos. I know I'd sign up for that!

    Sounds like a good deal to me. I've paid more for a ticket to a bad movie or a shitty drink.

    We did just get two NIN albums. Ghosts V and VI will most likely get a physical release at some point, but bear in mind that production is going to be slowed significantly due to the pandemic. If workers aren't in the factories, nothing gets made.
    Patience is key here.
    Last edited by katara; 05-09-2020 at 03:11 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,903
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So... I missed this. Those of you who caught it, was there anything noteworthy that we didn't already know? Any interesting tid-bits or stories you could repeat?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,249
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    So uh, no one watched it? 4 days passed and no comments from anyone? Or is everyone under patreon NDA?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stowe, VT
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    It was a ton of fun watching along with him. He provided some insight into the thought process behind the effects for each song during the show as it went along, and also answered pretty much every question asked by his patrons. Nothing monumental revealed, but still fun. The transcript should eventually get posted on Patreon.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I'd be more interested in him hosting a watch party of AATCHB.
    Can there be a pre-show screening of the video where he's bragging about how they were able to film a bunch of shows and trick people into thinking it was one performance?

    (There's a reason I hated working in sales...I just have a really hard time lying to people for the sake of business.)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,345
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Can there be a pre-show screening of the video where he's bragging about how they were able to film a bunch of shows and trick people into thinking it was one performance?

    (There's a reason I hated working in sales...I just have a really hard time lying to people for the sake of business.)
    Seriously? The band has like 5 different outfits and all sorts of different instruments. They were not fooling anybody!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Can there be a pre-show screening of the video where he's bragging about how they were able to film a bunch of shows and trick people into thinking it was one performance?
    I don't recall it being marketed or promoted that way.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,217
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Can there be a pre-show screening of the video where he's bragging about how they were able to film a bunch of shows and trick people into thinking it was one performance?

    (There's a reason I hated working in sales...I just have a really hard time lying to people for the sake of business.)
    i remember trent (i think in a rolling stone article) talked about not being able to make it look visually seamless and having it be obvious that it was sourced from multiple shows, which he was fine with. but he was proud that he was able to get it to SOUND seamless (which it does). don't think there was ever any attempt to hide the multiple-show nature of it.

    but i agree with you on working in sales. it's why i quit working at Lush back in december after only a couple weeks. i'm really​ good at selling people shit, and i felt awful every time i did.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I don't recall it being marketed or promoted that way.
    I'll have to see if I can dig it up - there was an interview with Rob (way back when) where he specifically mentioned something about "fooling the audience into thinking it was one performance" or something like that. Made me cringe when I heard it. Maybe someone who has a more photographic knowledge of all NIN-related promo material can remember what interview I'm talking about? (They were discussing the cameras they were using, how they filmed it, etc - and this was an old interview from closer to the release of the video; not a recent thing)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    I started in the visual arts before moving into the live entertainment industry; I know how live recordings are made. I've worked on several of them.

    To be clear, I hold no illusion that it was marketed as being one show. It's a "live recording", it doesn't say "live at whatever venue" as you pointed out. But in discussing how it was made, he very clearly stated that they were able to make it look like it was from one performance. That's the claim that made me go "wait...what?" Something like BYIT, for example, could be passed off to the casual observer as a single night (it was only filmed at two shows under similar / controlled conditions, so continuity was obviously a lot easier to achieve). But going from wide shots of an outdoor show during daylight hours to arena shots and constantly changing guitars mid-song? It just doesn't look even remotely like it's a single performance. For someone who's really damn good at what he does and generally an honest and engaging person, it just seemed really, really weird to hear him say something like that.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Rob Sheridan quote comes from the And All That Could Have Been special for MTV at the 21:29 mark.


    “It feels more cohesive; it feels like a performance. And what’s satisfying is when people watch this and say ‘Where was this filmed?’ And that’s when I think, okay, I did something right because they’re not realizing that every single shot is a different city and a different take. And the real challenge was how do we make this feel like one performance? We’re not trying to trick you. We’re not trying to say, ‘Oh, this was one night,’ because it’s not. It’s the whole tour and we’re proud of that. But at the same time, in order for you to accept it and get into the experience, you can’t…”


    The interview then fades out and cuts into The Mark Has Been Made (Live).

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rez17 View Post
    The Rob Sheridan quote comes from the And All That Could Have Been special for MTV at the 21:29 mark.


    “It feels more cohesive; it feels like a performance. And what’s satisfying is when people watch this and say ‘Where was this filmed?’ And that’s when I think, okay, I did something right because they’re not realizing that every single shot is a different city and a different take. And the real challenge was how do we make this feel like one performance? We’re not trying to trick you. We’re not trying to say, ‘Oh, this was one night,’ because it’s not. It’s the whole tour and we’re proud of that. But at the same time, in order for you to accept it and get into the experience, you can’t…”


    The interview then fades out and cuts into The Mark Has Been Made (Live).
    Ah yeah, that's the one. It just always rubbed me the wrong way because it seemed like he wasn't giving the audience any credit. It feels like a bar saying "we only had one keg of Guinness, so we dyed a bunch of Budweiser and the St. Patrick's Day crowd didn't even realize it." Nah, they realized it. It was still beer so they still got drunk and went home happy, but they noticed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral
    Yea, definitely sounds like "he's bragging". What an insufferable asshole this guy sounds like, doing his job efficiently like that, and copping to it first chance he had. Totally scamming the fans. For sure..
    Your words, not mine. In fact, if you'll read up just a couple posts...

    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    For someone who's really damn good at what he does and generally an honest and engaging person, it just seemed really, really weird to hear him say something like that.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    It just always rubbed me the wrong way because it seemed like he wasn't giving the audience any credit.
    I never interpreted it to be a comment about the entire audience in general, just the few casual fans who may have gone up to him and made that comment. Of course fans like us would immediately notice the difference in haircuts, clothing, instruments from cut to cut because we're the type of people that remember quotes from TV specials that aired almost 2 decades ago. Rob has always appreciated those of us who notice even the most minute details enough to hide jokes in nin.com source code.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,249
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Ping me when Rob hosts Tension full show streaming party. I'll sign.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Ping me when Rob hosts Tension full show streaming party. I'll sign.
    The Tension footage was brought up during the Live Watch but, if I recall correctly, he made a comment that made me feel that even he didn't know why that footage was never fully realized. At least we have the Vevo version.

    If there is any footage I'd love to see, it's anything from the Chicago Wave Goodbye shows. I was on the rail for one of those and I know that camera panned by a couple times. New York and LA both got to see some footage of that tour released.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,149
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Ah yeah, that's the one. It just always rubbed me the wrong way because it seemed like he wasn't giving the audience any credit.
    When it came out, there were definitely people both online and who I talked to in person who did not pick up on it being a supercut. The NIN audience is a very broad one.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,149
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rez17 View Post
    If there is any footage I'd love to see, it's anything from all the Chicago Wave Goodbye shows. I was on the rail for one of those and I know that camera panned by a couple times. New York and LA both got to see some footage of that tour released.
    Hear hear!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,131
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'll have to see if I can dig it up - there was an interview with Rob (way back when) where he specifically mentioned something about "fooling the audience into thinking it was one performance" or something like that. Made me cringe when I heard it.
    I don't really see that as disparaging the audience though. I think he was just happy that it felt like a cohesive whole to most people rather than something that felt pieced together from many different sources. It was a very unorthodox approach to creating a concert video that ultimately paid off, so why not take a little pride in that?

    Obviously eagle-eyed fans will notice things like wardrobe and set differences, but if you're not looking for it, AATCHB flows incredibly well and has a lot of energy to it.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 05-15-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Posting Permissions