Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atticus did the music in an ad for the US Army

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Atticus did the music in an ad for the US Army

Looks like they did a score for a US army ad campaign.

https://connectingvets.radio.com/art...ing-commercial

Link to the video:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/USArmy/st...ing-video.html

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Looks like it was just Atticus, but it still makes me pretty uncomfortable to see something like this. Last thing I want is for Trent & Atticus to be shilling for the fucking US Army.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I assume the argument for this would be that it's strictly CV related. I get that, but wouldn't it better to just avoid the whole thing? It's not like he needs the $. Maybe he donated his profits or something. That would sit easier for sure.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Whatever happened to Art Is Resistance?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    We live in a topsy turvy world where the actual president is advocating civil unrest with Liberate tweets. I don’t think left /right binaries or any of the old anti government shit really applies anymore

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    We live in a topsy turvy world where the actual president is advocating civil unrest with Liberate tweets. I don’t think left /right binaries or any of the old anti government shit really applies anymore
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/02/zero-accountability-us-accused-of-failure-to-report-civilian-deaths-in-africa

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...165736421.html

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.co...-the-full-data

Yeah, I'm aware this is a different part of the military than the first responders being brought in to help with the COVID-19 crisis.

But it's the same fucking organization.
    Last edited by botley; 04-23-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Perhaps the title of this thread could be changed, since it was just Atticus?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The US military used Nine Inch Nails songs to torture PoWs during the Iraq War. I guess they decided to skip the middleman this time around and just commission music straight from the musicians.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    The US military used Nine Inch Nails songs to torture PoWs during the Iraq War. I guess they decided to skip the middleman this time around and just commission music straight from the musicians.
    That's precisely why it bothers me. Even during a crisis like this, why would you want to do work for an organization that would use your music in such a grotesque manner?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Haha sneaky mod title edit. I see you.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Either you’re anti-imperialism or you aren’t. Helping promote the US military, especially in the era of Trump, who the boys have made very clear their hatred of, is at best tone deaf. It’s one thing to advocate for actual service members and veterans but to promote the institution itself is gross. With how things like Year Zero and Less Than have criticized the military and how it’s used as a tool of dehumanization and oppression it’s just baffling that someone so closely involved would take this gig.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    When I read this, my face scrunched up in "WTF" mode. There are a ton of other ways to support COVID-19 efforts...I really don't get this.
    The whole thing just reeks of shit here.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    At this point, I know I’m not entitled to such a thing, but I’d really love to hear an explanation of how this came about.
    Especially as TR&AR probably get score requests constantly. They're Oscar winners, after all. They can pick and choose what they want. So, this was definitely something that he wanted to do. Very interesting.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    On something of a similar note: While I am decidedly not a fan of the band Chicago, when they first came out they were very political & anti Vietnam war. I noticed that "25 or 6 to 4" is being used in a full on army recruiting ad. Times sure have changed. I'm sure Terry Kath is spinning in his grave.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Just a guess, but this seems like a favor for a friend. Do we know who directed the clip?

I'm particularly uncomfortable with news organizations running the headlines about Nine Inch Nails doing music for Army advertisements. Bleh.
    Edit: Looks like Military.com changed their headline to say "Nine Inch Nails Member" - it was more ambiguous when I posted it on the Hotline a few days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Certainly a strange move.
    Last edited by Sequenteon; 04-25-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    *sits on hands*

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Have a little more faith in Trent and Atticus. A recent addition to the article says:

"Update: Connecting Vets received a statement from a spokeswoman that, "contrary to previous reports regarding the music created for the Army's "Unbelievable" video, Barking Owl music company is responsible for the production of the music. Apparently Atticus Ross is a composer at Barking Owl and is also associated with Nine Inch Nails."

So i don't take that as him doing it. He may have had nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Have a little more faith in Trent and Atticus. A recent addition to the article says:

"Update: Connecting Vets received a statement from a spokeswoman that, "contrary to previous reports regarding the music created for the Army's "Unbelievable" video, Barking Owl music company is responsible for the production of the music. Apparently Atticus Ross is a composer at Barking Owl and is also associated with Nine Inch Nails."

So i don't take that as him doing it. He may have had nothing to do with it.
    the spread of misinformation like wildfire on the internet never fails to amaze me.

why on earth would the report state that atticus created the music if there was no official credit regarding it???

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    It kind of sounds like doublespeak to me. I imagine things went something like this:
    Filmmaker gets a gig doing commercials for the Army and has some budget. Reaches out to Atticus Ross, who does the music. Business is managed through Barking Owl, because Atticus' time is best spent composing, not going over contracts and terms. Commercial comes out, and filmmaker excitedly talks to Military press about it, mentions that he's stoked to work with Atticus Ross, who does a lot of film score, but is also a member of Nine Inch Nails.

Military.com: ARMY ENLISTS NINE INCH NAILS FOR NEW RECRUITING AD

connectingvets.radio.com, quoting Military.com: "Nine Inch Nails records track for Army ad campaign"

Trent Reznor: Uhhhhhhhhh *speed-dials his manager*

Military.com "ARMY ENLISTS NINE INCH NAILS MEMBER FOR NEW RECRUITING AD"

connectingvets.radio.com: "So I guess Barking Owl did the music, but also Atticus Ross is part of Barking Owl, so..."

I don't know any of the other composers at Barking Owl - do they do filter sweeps over a wall of guitars playing atop atmospheric synth pads, or is that just Atticus Ross?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Another possibility is that Barking Owl is like Pond5 or Needle Drop, where artists make and submit music to the service and that's the extent of their involvement. Clients or agencies browse that company's directory for music that works for their piece then license it. The artist gets a check.
    This piece of music could have been a leftover from anything that he just sent in to Barking Owl at any point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Do we have any more answers about this? I just have to believe That Atticus would never knowingly do music for US military recruitment. Seems like something they would be totally against especially after working on Ken Burns documentary.

I really want to hear someone from the NIN camp call this out as bullshit.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Do we have any more answers about this? I just have to believe That Atticus would never knowingly do music for US military recruitment. Seems like something they would be totally against especially after working on Ken Burns documentary.

I really want to hear someone from the NIN camp call this out as bullshit.
    I do too... asked them on Twitter about it when NIN posted a fucking black square (thanks, I hate it) for #theshowmustbepaused on Tuesday and, of course, got no response from them.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    ... why is this a bad thing?
    It's lazy, trite "clicktivism" — they could have directed their followers to productive means of supporting the movement (like NIN has done in the past) instead of, er, nothing at all. But understand that I don't think that's inherently "bad", just disappointing, compared to what they've done with their online platforms in the past.

Back on topic, anyway — I don't mean this to derail talking about other things the military does that are actually bad, some having nothing to do with anti-Black racism.
    Last edited by botley; 06-06-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Is that the same as the 'virtue signalling' someone was talking about in the Manson thread?
    Jesus fucking Christmas, thanks for reminding me to never go in that thread. I HOPE that both TR and AR made sizeable donations this week, and set up recurring ones too. Would be nice to know for sure but at least that's what I'm assuming they did. Be even better if they could get 5% of their followers on social media to do the same.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Trent and Atticus gladly accepted 7 figure money from Pixar despite its bad history. I don't understand why people are so shocked and outraged that Atticus accepted money from the US military. I think we know by now most celebs can have a "cause" all they want but when the big money gets offered up, the cause goes out the window. Same reason Mr liberal anti capitalist Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha gladly accepted 7 figures to play Coachella even though the dude who runs it is alt right. Money is the true daddy of all rich famous actors/musicians....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Trent and Atticus gladly accepted 7 figure money from Pixar despite its bad history. I don't understand why people are so shocked and outraged that Atticus accepted money from the US military. I think we know by now most celebs can have a "cause" all they want but when the big money gets offered up, the cause goes out the window. Same reason Mr liberal anti capitalist Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha gladly accepted 7 figures to play Coachella even though the dude who runs it is alt right. Money is the true daddy of all rich famous actors/musicians....
    What’s Pixar done?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What’s Pixar done?
    Made me cry a few times.