Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Atticus did the music in an ad for the US Army

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Same reason Mr liberal anti capitalist Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha gladly accepted 7 figures to play Coachella even though the dude who runs it is alt right. Money is the true daddy of all rich famous actors/musicians....
    I wish this misinformation would stop. It's not cute, and it's clear people just read headlines and click bait bullshit instead of actually educating themselves on the matter.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/14/coachella-founders-tough-truth-liberal-fans-most-b/
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-08-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Man, I dug into this more... and this is a very specific claim.

The video's eerie background music, which builds in intensity, "was actually done for us by [Atticus Ross from] Nine Inch Nails," DeFrancisco said. Ross, an English musician from the alternative rock band, wrote and performed the music for the ad.

"He created it for us just in the last two to three weeks," she said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ing-video.html

I really hope this was some kind of misunderstanding. Like she thought that's who did it and it turns out it wasn't. Or someone from the company licensed something to her that he had done before and he didn't have any say about it. SOME explanation that would not involve Atticus betraying everything NIN is about and doing a damn recruitment video for an imperialist Army in the age of Trump. That's just insane.

NIN is my favorite bad, but that's like "he's out or we're out" level of betrayal to fans. I just cannot believe it. There has to be a good explanation. I do think it's time for NIN to address this. This is very concerning.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What’s Pixar done?
    I'm guessing Billy Boy is referring to John Lasseter's history of sexual harassment.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Man, I dug into this more... and this is a very specific claim.

The video's eerie background music, which builds in intensity, "was actually done for us by [Atticus Ross from] Nine Inch Nails," DeFrancisco said. Ross, an English musician from the alternative rock band, wrote and performed the music for the ad.

"He created it for us just in the last two to three weeks," she said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ing-video.html

I really hope this was some kind of misunderstanding. Like she thought that's who did it and it turns out it wasn't. Or someone from the company licensed something to her that he had done before and he didn't have any say about it. SOME explanation that would not involve Atticus betraying everything NIN is about and doing a damn recruitment video for an imperialist Army in the age of Trump. That's just insane.

NIN is my favorite bad, but that's like "he's out or we're out" level of betrayal to fans. I just cannot believe it. There has to be a good explanation. I do think it's time for NIN to address this. This is very concerning.
    This isn't like full on endorsing MAGA, they've been on the right side of most everything else, and built enough good faith with me at least that I'm not gonna burn all my limited prints or anything just yet, but yeah I would love some qualifying info from Atticus or the camp. This is a major collar puller for me until we hear more, which almost certainly isn't gonna happen.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    They got rid of Lasseter once it became public. Who knows how long it was tolerated before that...

I think the even bigger issue now with Pixar is their racial bias. They have no people of color in their leadership and never have. They finally have this big movie coming out where the lead character is a person of color and... it is directed by a white dude. Because they still don't have the diversity they should have now thirty plus years into this thing. And Trent and Atticus are doing the Soundtrack, with Jon Batiste performing some of the Jazz. Which is awesome. And fine. And who wouldn't take that opportunity? But to be honest, wouldn't it have also been cool if Trent and Atticus were like, "you know what? Maybe you should ask Kendrick Lamar or Kamasi Washington or Thundercat or Flying Lotus, or literally any of the other amazing black musicians capable of scoring this, and we'll catch you on the next one." I mean some of these artists, like Kamasi, have spent their lives trying to bring Jazz back into the mainstream.

I'm not saying they are wrong for taking the job. Who would want to turn down Pixar? They have kids. What a dream! I'm just saying it would have been nice to see someone in their position take that stand. It's more Pixar's fault than anyone, but it would have been nice. Maybe just something to consider for the next time around.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    It's bad optics all ways that I see it, until Atticus responds it's hanging in an ugly way.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    They got rid of Lasseter once it became public. Who knows how long it was tolerated before that...

I think the even bigger issue now with Pixar is their racial bias. They have no people of color in their leadership and never have. They finally have this big movie coming out where the lead character is a person of color and... it is directed by a white dude. Because they still don't have the diversity they should have now thirty plus years into this thing. And Trent and Atticus are doing the Soundtrack, with Jon Batiste performing some of the Jazz. Which is awesome. And fine. And who wouldn't take that opportunity? But to be honest, wouldn't it have also been cool if Trent and Atticus were like, "you know what? Maybe you should ask Kendrick Lamar or Kamasi Washington or Thundercat or Flying Lotus, or literally any of the other amazing black musicians capable of scoring this, and we'll catch you on the next one." I mean some of these artists, like Kamasi, have spent their lives trying to bring Jazz back into the mainstream.

I'm not saying they are wrong for taking the job. Who would want to turn down Pixar? They have kids. What a dream! I'm just saying it would have been nice to see someone in their position take that stand. It's more Pixar's fault than anyone, but it would have been nice. Maybe just something to consider for the next time around.
    Obviously I would prefer the TR & AR score because I'm dirty fanboy, but this comment made me realize how awesome a Kamasi Washington score would be for a animated movie. I would love for that to happen!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Obviously I would prefer the TR & AR score because I'm dirty fanboy, but this comment made me realize how awesome a Kamasi Washington score would be for a animated movie. I would love for that to happen!
    i feel like anything would be great if he did the score. can you imagine a collaboration between him and a director like denis villeneuve or julie taymor?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's bad optics all ways that I see it, until Atticus responds it's hanging in an ugly way.
    The only sane response is: "dismantle the military".
    Last edited by botley; 06-23-2020 at 02:45 AM.