Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Day The World Went Away Samples

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Day The World Went Away Samples

Hello everyone

First of all, sorry if it's already been asked on the forum.
    Considering the weird times we're living right now, me and some friends had the brilliant and unique idea (!) of filming ourselves at home playing some music and bringing all together with the almighty power of editing and mixing to bring some music to our friends on social networks.

And the perfect song for the situation is, of course, The Day The World Went Away, with the Deviations 1 version.
    So we did it for guitars, piano and bass, but the song rely on all thoses synthe et ambiant sounds that creates this surreal world, and we are looking for them clean of everything else, to do something smooth on the mix.

I know Trent used to give everything from Year Zero songs online for remixes, but i can't find the same for Fragile songs, so i'm looking for these signature ambiant sounds, and i was wondering if you had any clues for that.

Thank you very much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This isn't much help, but why not do it yourself? There's a helluva lot of free VST's lying around on the net, reverbs, delays, bit crushers, probably even synth emulators for input signal (could use your guitar). Just slam layers upon layers of all kinds of stuff and come up with your own take on the ambience.

Edit: Maybe get the trial for the GForce M-Tron, the underlying drone in the verse sections of the song sound like they could probably easily be re-created to some degree with any kind of string sampler through a mono phaser and a reverb.
    Last edited by tap3worm; 04-20-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    While there are no multitracks, wasn't there a pre-The Fragile web player that had ambient samples of TDTWWA and Starfuckers, Inc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Kind of a good occasion for someone to walk through how to actually make that drone synth. It sounds to me like it's organ-based, but has an autofilter, modulating detuning, maybe an octaver... I'm out of my field on analyzing accurately.

Also curious why they used a loop of it on the Fragility tour instead of using the regular backing track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hola hola.

Our friend responsable of the mix worked hard on his keyboard and on Cubase to re-create the whole thing, so here is the result for whose of you who wanted to hear it :

It's not perfect, but we tried our best to honor this wonderful song
    Last edited by Xidius; 04-29-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Kind of a good occasion for someone to walk through how to actually make that drone synth. It sounds to me like it's organ-based, but has an autofilter, modulating detuning, maybe an octaver... I'm out of my field on analyzing accurately.
    There's the base chord(?) being held, which does have an organ sound to it, but could be a multilayered playback of some quirky resonant filter sweeping over a rich harmonic oscillator. Either way, the pitch is a little unstable, especially during the verse - there are plugins that can give you an effect like this now, but back in 1998 - was it recorded to tape, and during playback, someone put their finger on one of the rollers? Listening closely on the Deviations instrumental, I hear reverse-sweeps that sound like what you might hear if you ran something through somewhat metallic reverb, and then reversed the whole thing.
    There's the loop that, for want of a better term, sounds a bit like machinery, slowed down. I don't think I've ever thought to speed that up and see if the sound is more familiar at a higher playback rate.
    And there's a riffing guitar droning behind it all too.

Also curious why they used a loop of it on the Fragility tour instead of using the regular backing track.
    Might have something to do with the "do it live" approach they took on that tour. Been a while since I watched footage from that tour, so I'm just going off audio and a theory, but I suspect that Charlie kicks off the song by playing a sample. Twenty years ago (fuck) this would have been much easier to coordinate than triggering tape playback and fading it out at will - it gives you the option to drag things out while Trent's talking to the audience, because if I remember correctly, when TDTWWA appeared, it was during the encore.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Maybe it was because this is one of the few songs not tied to a click and which they slowed down and stretched a bit during a vocal part? Hence the drumstick count before they continue in the middle.